JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just returned from 4 days of hunting down near K-Falls. Sagerats are out thick and rockchucks were on all the rock piles. We even took a trip near Tulelake, CA and spotlighted jackrabbits. Only going to get better!

My source in Baker City says he hasn't seen any sage rats at all yet. He drives around a lot and calls them "runners" as they go hauling butt accross the road. Good to hear they are out in K Falls area though. The wx is suppose to get warm Wed and Thurs this week....sure would like to go.

If spotlighting jacks is illegal than the last 7 years I've been lucky to get away.

YES DUDE YOU HAVE BEEN LUCKY

From the Oregon Big Game regs page 27 and found here on line on page 22

<broken link removed>

and I quote:

No Person Shall:

Cast an artificial light from a motor vehicle while in possession of a weapon; or cast an artificial light upon a game mammal, predatory animal, or livestock from within 500 feet of a motor vehicle while in possession of a weapon. Exception: Landowners or their agents hunting predatory animals on land they own or lawfully occupy.

SO I guess if your 500' from any motor vehicle and using a hand held spotlight your ok.

take or disreguard advise how every you want.

Myself and a group of buddies spent this last weekend down in the Alkali lake/Abert lake area. All we saw was rabbits and a badger. No rats, or rock chucks unfortunately......Rabbits were a blast and we shot our fair share of them. Would like to have shot a few rats....

I was in Kfalls last year working and got to shoot a ton of what we called squeak's.
And rock chuck's man that's fun!! I can't wait to go help the local farmers there .
Some of them even supplied the ammo!:s0155:

YES DUDE YOU HAVE BEEN LUCKY

From the Oregon Big Game regs page 27 and found here on line on page 22

<broken link removed>

and I quote:

SO I guess if your 500' from any motor vehicle and using a hand held spotlight your ok.

take or disreguard advise how every you want.

Jack rabbits are not a game animal or a predatory animal so it should put you in the clear. If not I am guilty of the same thing...

Jack rabbits are not a game animal or a predatory animal so it should put you in the clear. If not I am guilty of the same thing...

Rabbits are in fact listed as a Predatroy animal in the state of Oregon. check out the General Furbearer Regulations under definitions for confrimation page 4.

<broken link removed>

SO yes if you are spotlighting Rabbits within 500 ft of a motor vehicle you are breaking the Law.

Spotlighting has been outlawed in Oregon since the Mid 80's I believe.

Rabbits are in fact listed as a Predatroy animal in the state of Oregon. check out the General Furbearer Regulations under definitions for confrimation page 4.

<broken link removed>

SO yes if you are spotlighting Rabbits within 500 ft of a motor vehicle you are breaking the Law.

Spotlighting has been outlawed in Oregon since the Mid 80's I believe.

Just talked to OSP Fish and Game. It is considered a "predatory animal"! WTF Oregon, a rabbit, Predatory?? Waiting to hear back from OSP on the "official decision".

A Predatory animal does not have to prey on other animals. In the State definition preying on crops also qualifys. Which makes Sage rats and Rabbits predatory animals

SO BOYS best either be 500 ft away from you vehicle or stop Spotlighting Your breaking the LAW in Oregon.

Now call me names and get pissy cause I pointed out you could be heading for a big fine loss of your hunting rights and at the VERY least your firearms if not your vehicle when your caught doing it.

Looks like you need to dig a little deeper. Check out ors498.012
Taking wildlife causing damage, posing public health risk or that is public nuisance

(1) Nothing in the wildlife laws is intended to prevent any person from taking any wildlife that is causing damage, is a public nuisance or poses a public health risk on land that the person owns or lawfully occupies. However, no person shall take, pursuant to this subsection, at a time or under circumstances when such taking is prohibited by the State Fish and Wildlife Commission, any game mammal or game bird, fur-bearing mammal or nongame wildlife species, unless the person first obtains a permit for such taking from the commission.

So if you are hunting on private property for an animal causing damage. NOTHING in the game laws pertain to you. Pretty hard to read something into the word NOTHING. Pretty firm stance on it I would think. So before you start spouting your game law rhetoric you need to know the facts. OSP officers will flat out lie and tell you that the law does not exist because they have no say over anything you do on private property if you follow the rules. Make sure your permission slip has all the I dotted and the Ts crossed. The gameys will crawl all over your slip looking for an error to write you up on.

That is not the full law but one subsection. If you have any questions take it to a lawyer and pay a few dollars to have it explained to you.

As far as asking OSP about any game laws they dont know or they will lie to you to catch you breaking a law.

It is not about trapping them. Just that you dont have to follow the game regs if it falls under this law. No hunting license,no bag limit, no shooting hours, traps ,spotlights, night vision, they all work.

I would like to take a trip later this month during Spring break with my wife and youngest brother to do some rabbit/varmint hunting. We live in the Portland area, can anyone recommend a place within a few hours drive that has public land where we could camp for a week and find a lot of critters?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top