JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They would actually.

I already know where I need to go in Oregon, talked to some farmers already too.

Im interested about the rats in eastern washington now.

Do you have to have a license to hunt in Oregon? What about Washington?

Last Edited:
Back from LaPine, Christmas valley, fort Rock..., it was great weather and the sage rats were rampid yesterday. We killed as many as I had ammo. No coyotes or rabbits in sight. Did alot of cruising around the desert, it was empty except we saw a few packs of doe, thats about it. I'm think'n the yotes are still den'd up til mid-late May tak'n care their pupps

Back from LaPine, Christmas valley, fort Rock..., it was great weather and the sage rats were rampid yesterday. We killed as many as I had ammo. No coyotes or rabbits in sight. Did alot of cruising around the desert, it was empty except we saw a few packs of doe, thats about it. I'm think'n the yotes are still den'd up til mid-late May tak'n care their pupps

Where did you end up hunting the rats at there?

sounds like a good time wheres the rabbits

heard from some locals that the rabbits should be out and about but I didn't see any. As far as giving up my spot, no can do... Fort Rock Area was the best is all I can say bout that

heard from some locals that the rabbits should be out and about but I didn't see any. As far as giving up my spot, no can do... Fort Rock Area was the best is all I can say bout that

I can understand not wanting to give up your spot. However, I am finding it extremely difficult to get a trip put together and go down. I need to have an idea of where to look so I dont waste an entire day of my 2 day trip trying to just find a shooting spot. I also need to figure out lodging and food. I will be driving 7 hours just to get to fort rock. I may be taking my wife and cousin so there has to be some structure to the trip to get them to commit.

We aren't a bad bunch, we like plinking, having fun, and I have been well known to take care of people who help me out. I sell gun safes for a living so I always have some prety cool stuff with me that I take on trips. Some people I meet tend to sometimes go home with some nice things if they lend a hand.

I need to have an idea of where to look so I dont waste an entire day of my 2 day trip trying to just find a shooting spot.

Been there before, it's part of finding a new spot I would say... That's why I try to scout it out by myself a few times before I take friends out for a day.

There are too many fields with sage rats to tell you about any specific one. If you head down Hwy 31 you could'nt miss them. Along hwy31, the road which Fort Rock is on and goes to Christmas Valley is where you will see fields on both sides covered with little mounds where the critters are roaming. After you pass Ft Rock, the fields to the left side have a set of hills behind them to catch any stray ammo so I usually lean that way.

If you go about 3-4 miles pass Ft.Rock towards x-mas valley the road bends to the right pretty hard but if you stay straight onto the dirt road, it leads to the big powerlines that go across the desert. (you can see them in the distance, it's pretty flat out there) I have done most my rabbit hunting out there with good numbers.

Once you get further down 31 going towards xmas valley you can go out to the right side where there are lots of fields throughout the grid where you'll see mounds for days. Now all these places are a good start but I recommend you drive around looking for that perfect field to setup at. Bring a gps and mark 3 to 5 fields or so, keep yourself busy. If you have a truck it is nice to bring a chair to sit in the back and use the roof of your cab as a rest.

Don't forget to talk to the farmers before shooting on their land. Most that I talked to were thrilled to have us; sage rats ruin their fields. Once you build a relationship with the farmer's that have fields you like best you will always have a spot to shoot when you go over there. Fastest way to build rapport is to be generously appreciative by bringing some 'real jerky'. Don't have any? Go to a butcher's meat market. No joke, it's worth the time and money spent but obviously not required. They will remember you forever as the hunter that brings the good stuff, looking forward to your next visit. Clean up every shell, every piece of paper, everything. Don't leave so much as an arm hair on their field. The one reason they may not let you is the fear you could shoot their expensive watering equipment/pipes etc. So let them know you are aware and care.

Good Luck

Well sounds like a plan. What do you guys do for a shooting rest besides the truck? Ever seen one of these? Where is there to stay at hotel wise in the area. I heard the hotels in xmas valley are a little gross.

shottingrest.jpg

Well sounds like a plan. What do you guys do for a shooting rest besides the truck? Ever seen one of these? Where is there to stay at hotel wise in the area. I heard the hotels in xmas valley are a little gross.

shottingrest.jpg

A Sagway with a gun rest. I love it!!

Pune intended Snopczynski.
Is this the type of thing you were referring too when you posted.....

"Some people I meet tend to sometimes go home with some nice things if they lend a hand". :D

Sorry, the devil made me do it, and I couldn't resist!

Seriously (no pune), it's like RallySoob said. Time has been 'invested' to find our spots, and we don't like sharing them because when we have, to many times 'others' have ruined it for us.

My best advise is to go your first time by yourself or with a buddy and except that you may not be doing any shooting. Scope it all out. Places to shoot, drive times, motels, bars, restaurants, all of it. And don't forget to take a lunch and liquids with you. Rat Shooting is a hungary, thirsty business, and there arn't many dinners out in dem der fields!

Good luck! :s0155:
Frog.

A Sagway with a gun rest. I love it!!

Pune intended Snopczynski.
Is this the type of thing you were referring too when you posted.....

"Some people I meet tend to sometimes go home with some nice things if they lend a hand". :D

Sorry, the devil made me do it, and I couldn't resist!

Seriously (no pune), it's like RallySoob said. Time has been 'invested' to find our spots, and we don't like sharing them because when we have, to many times 'others' have ruined it for us.

My best advise is to go your first time by yourself or with a buddy and except that you may not be doing any shooting. Scope it all out. Places to shoot, drive times, motels, bars, restaurants, all of it. And don't forget to take a lunch and liquids with you. Rat Shooting is a hungary, thirsty business, and there arn't many dinners out in dem der fields!

Good luck! :s0155:
Frog.

I would give somebody one of those if they showed me a really good shooting spot. I have given away pistol boxes, oil & Silicone treated gun socks, as well as Brand new $85 gargoyle shooting glasses.

Been noticing the absence of coyote noises from my back field for about two weeks.... once in a while I hear something, but not the usual nightly chorus line, pushback whenever sirens wail, that sort of thing (there are AT LEAST two dens ON my property, and a third, at least, about 20 feet onto my north neigbor's). After the comment above that the yotes are denning right now, could that explain their laying low? I was beginning to wonder did they all pack up and find another area.... seems they've cleaned out all the feral cats (yay!!), ALL of the pheasants (at least four flocks, maybe six), and quail (at least three covey), and thinned the rabbits and possum down quite a bit. So I've been wondering did they move on for richer hunting grounds? Or do they lay REAL low during pup time? And could this explain their "scarcity"? Never paid so much attention to them until lately, now I've got some firearms well suited for their extermination..... I'd SURE like to have the pheasant back, and I'm toying with the idea of bringing in some livestock..... chickens, geese, perhaps sheep and/or goats.... and don't want to make my investment into fat coyotes.....

Been noticing the absence of coyote noises from my back field for about two weeks.... once in a while I hear something, but not the usual nightly chorus line, pushback whenever sirens wail, that sort of thing (there are AT LEAST two dens ON my property, and a third, at least, about 20 feet onto my north neigbor's). After the comment above that the yotes are denning right now, could that explain their laying low? I was beginning to wonder did they all pack up and find another area.... seems they've cleaned out all the feral cats (yay!!), ALL of the pheasants (at least four flocks, maybe six), and quail (at least three covey), and thinned the rabbits and possum down quite a bit. So I've been wondering did they move on for richer hunting grounds? Or do they lay REAL low during pup time? And could this explain their "scarcity"? Never paid so much attention to them until lately, now I've got some firearms well suited for their extermination..... I'd SURE like to have the pheasant back, and I'm toying with the idea of bringing in some livestock..... chickens, geese, perhaps sheep and/or goats.... and don't want to make my investment into fat coyotes.....

Do you have any sage rats, marmots, or rock chucks on your property or nearby?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top