JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah but the .22lr just doesn't get 'em airborne like a .223 does.

+1 to that, but a 17 HMR or 17 Mach 2 can!

ETA - Pic

3499587793_baa927fc2c.jpg

not alot of rats on BLM land if any... Let us know if you find a place...

22mag gets it done btw.

I prefer to use .223 just because I love shooting them with my AR.

Just joined to reply to this post, and so far i like this forum as it is local for me.

I am heading over to the burns / crane / lawen area this weekend for some sage rat action. I will let everyone know the grass height as well as the approx. numbers. :D

well, just got back last night from the burns area.

what a weekend, well over 1500 rats were removed from the fields. the grass is still short enough, 2 - 3" but it was growing fast, next weekend 16 - 17 might be the last weekend of prime hunting over there.

activity was amazing, we could sit in the same spot for 2-3 hours with non stop shooting before having to move a few hundred yards and get going again.

If you are going to go before the first field cuttings in June/July you should go ASAP. The weather for the weekend of the 16-17 is supposed to be perfect again. I might have to buy 2k 17 hmrs this time and go again.:s0114:

so as a summery :s0155:

well, just got back last night from the burns area.

what a weekend, well over 1500 rats were removed from the fields. the grass is still short enough, 2 - 3" but it was growing fast, next weekend 16 - 17 might be the last weekend of prime hunting over there.

activity was amazing, we could sit in the same spot for 2-3 hours with non stop shooting before having to move a few hundred yards and get going again.

If you are going to go before the first field cuttings in June/July you should go ASAP. The weather for the weekend of the 16-17 is supposed to be perfect again. I might have to buy 2k 17 hmrs this time and go again.:s0114:

so as a summery :s0155:

Dang that sounds like one good weekend of Rattin. I may have keep heading east past X-mas valley over to burns and see what lil critters pops their head up.

Got back from Summer Lake/Lakeview and rats a plenty...an average year for them I would say. Be careful w centerfire and backdrops even though with soft point light bullets they(the bullets) disintegrate for the most part. Make a good impression with the farmer/rancher and you will have a place to go for years to come........

Where I've hunted those rats (ground squirrels) a .22 LR was plenty. If you get off on having fun with something else like an AR, go for it. Once in a while I'll have to hold a little high and "lob" the shot in, but that's really fun too. It doesn't seem like a waste when you're seeing hundreds of the critters. You don't mind missing a few.

I like to walk and shoot offhand with no rest. It's great practice. If you miss you'll kick up dust and know just how to adjust your elevation.

An auto loader is great because you could easily see three or four of them at once on one small mound and it's fun to pick them all off.

$.02

Also, I always look for them near a water source. An irrigation ditch or creek...

If an irrigation ditch is elevated with an exposed side, they'll ruin it tunneling into it and then ranchers will really want them dead. Their tunneling and mounding is really hard on crops so don't be afraid to ask a rancher.

I just returned from Christmas valley/Fort Rock Area. We searched for two days and found very few Sage Rats. The fields that did have them, the ranchers had either promised the hunting already or didn't allow it. Did see a lot of Jacks, coyotes and deer. Worst two days of hunting I have ever endured.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top