JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's a bit early yet, as it takes a nice warm sun to bring 'em out.

I just talked to a guy you spent last week over there. He said it was still quite cool. I'm going to head over to Prineville and 'check it out', the middle to the end of April, depending on what the weather over there is doing.

I'm getting 'anticy' too, but it's usually May before they really start 'the run'!

Frog.

I live in the "east" and yes they are starting to come out,I like to wait until may to start shooting though,gives the babies a better chance to grow and start coming out side the holes.I haven't been to my favorite rock chuck area yet,soon though.

I live in the "east" and yes they are starting to come out,I like to wait until may to start shooting though,gives the babies a better chance to grow and start coming out side the holes.I haven't been to my favorite rock chuck area yet,soon though.

Thanks for the update, chainsaw. I'm heading over to the Prinville area around the middle of the month to scope it out.

Keep us advised.

Thanks,
Frog.

Its probably gonna take me upwards of 5-7 hours to get down in that area from the Seattle-Tacoma area where I am at. I just want to go well prepared. I plan on going for two days, so If my first day is spent looking for a spot, I have a 2nd day to shoot. I need to get something planned though, or no one else will go with me if I cant give them some decent game plan info. Anything helps, name of some nearby cities, name of some ranchers, name of some gun stores or sporting goods stores that will have ranchers looking for extermination, etc...... I dont want to step on anyones toes and say "Hay, tell me where your spot is", but I want to try this type of hunting out. I have some cool guns that would work well for this, and it looks like a lot of fun. I work in the firearm industry and sell gun, home, and commercial safes for a living. We have a buddy with a safe retail store down in the Medford area, he has given me some insight on where to go, but anything helps.

I want to go hunting for these things, but I cannot get a straight answer from anyone on here on where to go.

Drive around out in Prineville, Fort Rock, Christmas Valley, klamath falls areas looking at the fields to see which ones have little dirt mounds. Stop, stare at the mounds for about a minute, if you see the lil *******s crossing hole to hole you will want to proceed to the farmers house and ask for permission to shoot on his land. works for me everytime...

note: bring some home made jerky if you have it, or some type of offering if you want to be nice about it. Jerky seems to be universal

Drive around out in Prineville, Fort Rock, Christmas Valley, klamath falls areas looking at the fields to see which ones have little dirt mounds. Stop, stare at the mounds for about a minute, if you see the lil *******s crossing hole to hole you will want to proceed to the farmers house and ask for permission to shoot on his land. works for me everytime...

note: bring some home made jerky if you have it, or some type of offering if you want to be nice about it. Jerky seems to be universal
Years ago,you could get paid for shootin them in Fort Rock area.Some of the ranchers would even buy your ammo.

The best weather forecast I've seen for the Bend/Prinville areas is 50 on Saturday and 55 on Sunday, with mostly cloudy sky.

I thinks it will take another 2 - 4 weeks before they start the spring run.

But, please......, when you see them, let us know. I'm ready to rock! :D

Frog.

Who's the jerky for? the varmints or the farmers?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top