JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
The weather has been perfect for sage rat hunting. We are still welcoming hunters for $40/day each. Kids under 12 we don't charge. The alfalfa is getting quite tall now, but the corners of the fields are great spots!! We will start cutting the hay early June.

Most of the property owners/ranchers realize the shooters are doing them a favor,and potentially saving them big $$$$ in crop losses,and charge accordingly,meaning not at all...

I pay enough to play with sage rats. I have built a solid relationship with 2 farmers that has resulted in some $ being spent, i have built shooting benches for them to enjoy shooting themselves. Some smoked salmon, but mostly i pay with respect , for them and there land. They claim charging brings less shooters and in turn less critters going bye bye. What bothers me more is these outfitters leasing up all the land so now people have to spend $200. SCREW THAT!!!

i have not ever paid , in the good ol days the farmers would supply the 22 ammo while i was there shooting, and all the others i used to stop and ask were happy to have me there and still are happy that i come. They also realize the cost of fuel and know what a drive it is to get there. All these guys charging are doing is creating a inflated market, so how long will it be before all the sage rat places are pay to play like all the ranches became that i used to deer hunt on , i remember the days of " close the gate behind you "

The 'Ranch Lady' where I go has even come out to the field and brought me samitchs, water and tea! :D

Nice people and like you said johtree, also appreciate the expenses we have. Lets face it. It's a great 'two way street'. We and They, both get what each one wants.

The best way to stop the idea of 'charging for rat shooting' is to NOT go there! DON'T support them. There'll go away fast!! Kinda like pay'n $30.00 for a brick of Federal 22 ammo. :huh:

Don't get me wrong, I'm a self-employed 'free enterprise' kinda guy. I charge for my services, and wouldn't ever begrudge anyone else from doing the same. However, charging for Rat Shooting is, in my mine, like ME paying someone to work on THEIR equipment! And we all know 'THAT' could only happen in Gresham! :D.

Maybe when **** freezes over.
Frog.

let the rats dig holes in his ground then he can pay to have the rats killed

you start paying for this then some of the other ranchers and farmers may get greedy let the rats dig holes in his land they he'll need to pay some one to kill them

i have not ever paid , in the good ol days the farmers would supply the 22 ammo while i was there shooting, and all the others i used to stop and ask were happy to have me there and still are happy that i come. They also realize the cost of fuel and know what a drive it is to get there. All these guys charging are doing is creating a inflated market, so how long will it be before all the sage rat places are pay to play like all the ranches became that i used to deer hunt on , i remember the days of " close the gate behind you "

you hit it on the nose all the places i grew up learning to hunt are closed off for the wealthy and all the rest of us crammed into public land i personally know 2 guys that were in my hunting party that were so disgusted with this they totally gave up hunting stopped supporting the NRA and took up other hobbies

I have great relationship with a ranch family in Christmas Valley. We help them hay, or whenever they need a hand when we are there hunting. They give us lunch, dinner,and welcome us because we have earned their trust. Just treat them and their land with respect and it will come back 10 times to you. Dont blow it by putting a hole in their irrigation pivot/cows etc. We can hunt deer and antelope also. Too bad so much land seems to be going "private". We will end up like Europe if we are not careful.

I have never been ratting, don't know where to go, and don't know who to go with. If I were going for my first time and didn't want to waste energy driving around looking for a place, $40 wouldn't be so bad. Twenty-dollars would be a little easier to swallow, considering the price of gas, price of ammo, and services rendered, but for a one-time thing, I could live with dropping a pair of twenties.

My first time i knocked on some doors and was shooting within a couple of hours. It does take effort but it is worth it. I am a Union Carpenter and the companys i work for have to provide all power tools it is part of the contract. When your partner starts to bring his own power tools the company will start to say hey he brings his tools if you dont we will lay you off. If you get it started there is no end in site. Then we all have to be rich just do what we love to do. It my take more time and effort but fun isnt always easy.

My first time i knocked on some doors and was shooting within a couple of hours. It does take effort but it is worth it. I am a Union Carpenter and the companys i work for have to provide all power tools it is part of the contract. When your partner starts to bring his own power tools the company will start to say hey he brings his tools if you dont we will lay you off. If you get it started there is no end in site. Then we all have to be rich just do what we love to do. It my take more time and effort but fun isnt always easy.

I'm glad you are union carpenter and get time to go over and poke around for places to shoot. Some people don't have that luxury. Some people, particularly those new to shooting rats, new to the area, etc, would bennefit from having a guy they could call up for a "sure thing" and not waste a lot of time. Of course, these new shooters would probably only need to pay once, as they would drive past lots of fields where they wouldn't have to pay, and hopefully a lightbulb would go off.

Now, the slippery slope argument doesn't care a lot of weight to begin with, but carries even less weight when you consider that farmers want people to shoot rats on their property. As I understand it.

If Mr. $40 notices a significant drop in the number of shooters on his property this year AND a significant loss in harvested product, I'm sure Mr. $40 will be singing a different tune next year.

I'm glad you are union carpenter and get time to go over and poke around for places to shoot. Some people don't have that luxury. Some people, particularly those new to shooting rats, new to the area, etc, would bennefit from having a guy they could call up for a "sure thing" and not waste a lot of time.

I doubt there is any sure thing other than paying the $40 each. :s0155:

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews