JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This might sound funny but what is a sage rat> I am from Oklahoma we either we dont call them sage rats or we dont have them in oklahoma?

it's a little ground squirrel - some call them grey diggers, some call them sage rats
they multiply by the zillions, and eat up alfalfa like crazy - they dig holes all through fields, too

but, they're fun little targets!

here's one that ran into one of my sons' bullets

jacob-sage_rat.jpg

I've wanted to do this for a couple of years, but I don't know anyone in my circle who knows anyone, so I've been SOL. I don't have the time to go drive around getting rejected by farmers....

So for poor guys like me with no friends, $40 isn't terrible until you find some land to go hunt yourself that's free.

That's why I think a NWFA Sage Rat/Grey Digger hunt is a great idea....since we don't have PD shoots this side of Idaho. :)

ill take any shot..lol....i take head shots on the pigs on are land tho!

Last weekend we decided to use up all the 22 solids we had and they just punched through the body and the squirrel would crawl away. Of course then the others would attack and start eating so then we shot them. With a head shot we got to see "squirrel aerobics". If I take you squirrel shooting can I come over to your place and shoot a pig?

sage rats always looked to me like chipmunks..I never felt the inclination to hunt them, although I definitely understand the pest aspect of it. I guess they would make great targets for moving target practice :s0114:

Thanks for your reply Hondo...what I am looking for is some specific suggestions, farmers/ranchers to contact in the Crane area that anyone may know who welcome shooters without charging. We have eight of us coming over the week of April 21st for four days.

My brother got me started on this and now it is a "guy thing" for our family.

good luck i have had a farmer for 4 years and if there is a patch of grass left shooters r in it. I suggest go on a tour of southeast oregon and start knocking cause i think Crane is going to be shot up in a few years. Our fields have decresed in rat population drastically in the past 2 years.

Does anyone on the forum have a recent update on whether/where the rats are up? I talked with two contacts in the Fort Rock/Christmas Valley area and neither has seen rats yet.

What about other areas?

I would like to offer this. I would not be willing to pay $40 to help someone rid varments off their land. But looking to get into the game, I would be willing to offer 3 or so boxes of 550 Federal 22 ammo to follow someone down to Chirstmas Valley, let me shoot with them. I don't mind helping a fellow person who likes to shoot and can help me get the first experience in hunting these rats.

But with the cost of all hunting licenses going up each year, paying land owners would be tough.

Status

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top