JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got some golden saber from a local retailer about a month ago. Turns out, 15 of the 20 are very dented. Neither the manufacturer nor the retailer will refund me. They're PROBABLY safe to shoot, but who knows? What do you think?
E785B518-E048-4279-9E07-E4C8078D4F24.jpeg

Nickle plated. I wouldn't reload them though. I'm just wondering if its just a dent in the casing or if its from crimping. Kinda weird, the dents seems to all be at the same spot.

Nickle plated. I wouldn't reload them though. I'm just wondering if its just a dent in the casing or if its from crimping. Kinda weird, the dents seems to all be at the same spot.
You are aware aren't you that nickle plated cases aren't made any different than standard cases, right? They're just nickle plated standard cases. And all you're talking about is nickle plating less than a few tenths thick.

I don't believe those dents came from any crimping die. Simple physics dictate that it is impossible for a cylinder to put such a dent in an object of that shape without making more than a dent. My "internet guess" would be the processing machinery for boxing up those loaded rounds. A buildup on a guide or drive wheel of grease mixed with bits of debris would put such a dent in those cases in the very same location. And having shot a few hundred thousand rounds in the last 62 years I'd shoot those without a second thought.

I don't believe those dents came from any crimping die. Simple physics dictate that it is impossible for a cylinder to put such a dent in an object of that shape without making more than a dent. My "internet guess" would be the processing machinery for boxing up those loaded rounds. A buildup on a guide or drive wheel of grease mixed with bits of debris would put such a dent in those cases in the very same location. And having shot a few hundred thousand rounds in the last 62 years I'd shoot those without a second thought.
If it was a (defective) collet die it could very well make an imprint like that.
The dents are too consistent to be a hydraulic dent due to grease.

Yes, safe to shoot.

If it was a (defective) collet die it could very well make an imprint like that.
The dents are too consistent to be a hydraulic dent due to grease.

Yes, safe to shoot.
Except most collet dies are relieved that far inside the die to not interfere with the crimp. They are supposed to crimp only on the case mouth, not the entire cartridge. And as a person that has worked with production machinery that actually does that sort of work I disagree with your opinion as grease mixed with tiny bits of brass or other material isn't actually "hydraulic" anymore, but more like a firm paste or waxy substance.

And I'll ask if you had set up and checked your equipment initially and it wasn't putting dents in the case body how exactly could that die suddenly become "defective?" Don't you think a bad die would have been discovered during set up? I have about 8 different collet crimping dies and not a one of them could dent a case in that manner.

Last Edited:
On a few I don't see a dent I see the bulge of the bullet. When seating slightly off center cases can bulge. In most cases, if they chamber, they will fire. Usually this will cause the rounds not to chamber if it's bad.

1629904755500.jpeg

Except most collet dies are relieved that far inside the die to not interfere with the crimp. They are supposed to crimp only on the case mouth, not the entire cartridge. And as a person that has worked with production machinery that actually does that sort of work I disagree with your opinion as grease mixed with tiny bits of brass or other material isn't actually "hydraulic" anymore, but more like a firm paste or waxy substance.
We don't know the proprietary design of a commercial crimping die from a major ammo manufacturer.
Again, the dents are way too consistent to be from grease hydraulics.
Only a mechanical defect could produce such a consistent dent.

I'll see your 100K and raise you another 100K

:D

Some ham-handed bubba dropped the package at some point, onto something harder than brass. Probably several times.

But I don't have extensive experience with ham-handed bubbas, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, so the usual internet expertise disclaimers apply.

On a few I don't see a dent I see the bulge of the bullet. When seating slightly off center cases can bulge. In most cases, if they chamber, they will fire. Usually this will cause the rounds not to chamber if it's bad.

View attachment 1018763
The dents are right below the bottom of the bullet. They chambered just fine. I fired them. Still here.

I think the simple answer is yea, theyre fine to shoot.

the dent is stupid, but the casing is fully supporter by the chamber - it isnt going to blow out the side.

how bout them spent casings? Dents still there?

The dents are right below the bottom of the bullet. They chambered just fine. I fired them. Still here.
Ya, it was likely bullet bulge. Either from misaligned seating or over crimping. Both can easily happen from a personal reload or major manufacturers.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top