JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just don't effing get it. My 18 month old knows the difference between toys and tools and that, if I say it's a tool, she puts it down if she had it or gives it to me, or stays away from it if she was close.

The 8 year old "accidentally" set off the gun? Other reports that I've found state the victim was in the car as well. So, an 8 year old manages to grab the gun, which appears to be a rifle, and "accidentally" shoot someone in the eye? I call B.S. Sounds to me like the 8 year old was screwing around, pulled the rifle and aimed it at the victim, and pulled the trigger. Killing him was the accident. Shooting him doesn't sound like an accident.

This whole unintentional discharge story sounds like cover-up from the dad of the kid, who should be held responsible for the wrongful death. Sorry, if your 8-year old doesn't know how to handle a gun, it's your failure as a parent.

Truly sad. Whats worse is.. "After-the-fact" lock up laws with actual firearms (and quite possibly Including pellet guns) Would charge a parent for this horrific accident.

8 is pretty darn young.. but teaching kids about gun safety is truly a necessity if they (firearms and pellet guns) are going to be around children and pre teens. Truly tragic to have a kids life cur short in such a way. I wasnt even aware there would be enough FPS to kill.. simply blind.

That being said 2-10yo's let curiosity and their imagination get the best of them. They often disregard safety lessons and play with firearms if easily accessible which is why parents should take a proactive approach to perhaps locking them up until the child has proven to conduct themselves responsibly around firearms.

Pointless lock up laws however don't prevent anything.. they simply tack on and punish an already grieving parent or family after said incident.

8 is pretty darn young.. but teaching kids about gun safety is truly a necessity if they (firearms and pellet guns) are going to be around children and pre teens. Truly tragic to have a kids life cur short in such a way. I wasnt even aware there would be enough FPS to kill.. simply blind.

That being said 2-10yo's let curiosity and their imagination get the best of them. They often disregard safety lessons and play with firearms if easily accessible which is why parents should take a proactive approach to perhaps locking them up until the child has proven to conduct themselves responsibly around firearms.

Pointless lock up laws however don't prevent anything.. they simply tack on and punish an already grieving parent or family after said incident.

I doubt we'll get a public cause of death but my guess would be infection. There isn't much in the way of bodily defenses between the eyes and brain and pathogens in the brain hasn't worked out well for anyone.

I agree that children are naturally curious, but disagree that they'll actively play with things like guns if available. You have three choices as a parent when your kid starts crawling and start exploring outlets - put plastic tabs in the outlets and never mention it, teach and train the child to avoid outlets, or both.

The same is true with guns. You can try to hide them and never mention them (which, I imagine, would lead to improper use and playing with them), teach and train, or both teach and lock them up.

I shouldn't be forced by the government to lock up my firearms under penalty of fine or prison because someone failed to parent. 8 years old is old enough to have had 6 years of learning about guns, or 3/4 their life.

We remind our kids to look both ways before crossing the road at every single road crossing for *years* until they demonstrate that they've got it. Why would we expect firearm training to be any less demanding?

I doubt we'll get a public cause of death but my guess would be infection. There isn't much in the way of bodily defenses between the eyes and brain and pathogens in the brain hasn't worked out well for anyone.

I agree that children are naturally curious, but disagree that they'll actively play with things like guns if available. You have three choices as a parent when your kid starts crawling and start exploring outlets - put plastic tabs in the outlets and never mention it, teach and train the child to avoid outlets, or both.

The same is true with guns. You can try to hide them and never mention them (which, I imagine, would lead to improper use and playing with them), teach and train, or both teach and lock them up.

I shouldn't be forced by the government to lock up my firearms under penalty of fine or prison because someone failed to parent. 8 years old is old enough to have had 6 years of learning about guns, or 3/4 their life.

We remind our kids to look both ways before crossing the road at every single road crossing for *years* until they demonstrate that they've got it. Why would we expect firearm training to be any less demanding?

I hear ya, I think education is the way to go over sheltering for sure and as noted in my earlier posts lock up laws are pointless and only hurt an already grieving parent nor should a government ever dictate how individuals keep and store firearms.. but young kids are immature and curious.. some kids more than others.. despite proper education. We all grew up knowing a kid or kids like that.. there is a certain age and temperament of children where the words simply do not stick and they forgo any and all safety training. So for me, keeping firearms out and away from certain age groups (while not around) would pair well with teaching firearm safety until they've proven themselves to be responsible. I feel like thats the best approach.

So for me, keeping firearms out and away from certain age groups (while not around) would pair well with teaching firearm safety until they've proven themselves to be responsible. I feel like thats the best approach.

I agree - all mine are out of reach of a toddler but in easy reach of my wife or me. What I find infuriating is that this set-up, while perfectly safe for my family, doesn't meet the rigor of "safety" being prescribed by the latest house bill forcing lock up on us. :rolleyes:

Who knows what model it really was - generally speaking the media can't ever get that stuff right anyway.

But - if it really was a PUMP action Daisy 800, I wonder what the hell was it doing pumped up and ready to fire. :mad:

One of the... i geuss you could call her a parent who brings her kid often to the dog park shows up with play guns and all they do is point it at all the people and pull the trigger and every time in my head all i can think is "building muscle memory for when they accidentaly get ahold of a real one." Once I said "thats not a good habbit" and i got a look of distain and " its just a toy" she says.

Just a theory but my take is 8 YO playing with the rifle in the back seat completely disregarding safety and probably doesn't know its loaded and more than likely pointing it at the 17 YO. 17 YO is turned around maybe grabbing at the barrel and the trigger is pulled.

I suspect both had zero respect for it or even knew it was loaded. It probably meant 'nothing' to them with no regard for it.

Last Edited:
No kids, I always felt that toy guns would be good for safety training for the young'uns. Not sure I'd let them roam the neighborhood pointing them at friends or anything else of value.

Any parents here do something like this?

One of the... i geuss you could call her a parent who brings her kid often to the dog park shows up with play guns and all they do is point it at all the people and pull the trigger and every time in my head all i can think is "building muscle memory for when they accidentaly get ahold of a real one." Once I said "thats not a good habbit" and i got a look of distain and " its just a toy" she says.

That woman is a stupid parent for not teaching her child that any so called 'play gun' should be treated like a REAL gun. GUN safety rules should be taught to all concerned!

I probably should not say this but some people should not be allowed to breed.

Cate

silver lining
" The organs from his body went on to help nine children and their families, Howard said. "

May the teen rest in peace.

This is a SAD story that did not have to happen if an adult had taught all concerned what to do and not to do when it came to any type of firearm. NO one should have been 'playing' with the gun in the car or pointing it another person in or out of a car.

I read this story from another news source when it first came out.

BB guns are real guns and they should be treated like any other gun that holds ammunition.

Bubbles are not coming out of the barrel!

Cate

My MT born and raised husband had a BB gun growing up and he was taught to treat it EXACTLY as he would a 22lr rifle.

He was taught to shoot a 22lr rifle at a very young age and he was gifted a BB gun that either belonged to one of his older brothers or maybe he got a new one.

He started to hunt at a young age too. His Dad, an old Uncle, his Grandfather or his older brothers took him shooting and hunting.

I bought 2 1938 Red Ryder Replica rifles in my late 40's AFTER I bought most of my other firearms. I bought it so I could plink in my yard surrounded by farm land back east.

They looked like this:

I treated those 2 former bb rifles EXACTLY as I treated my now former guns back east. (My Glock, my Smith and Wesson and Ruger handguns, my Browning BL 22, my Winchester 94-22 and my Marlin Papoose.)

Cate

No kids, I always felt that toy guns would be good for safety training for the young'uns. Not sure I'd let them roam the neighborhood pointing them at friends or anything else of value.

Any parents here do something like this?

I never had any children with my late husband.

I would imagine that most if not ALL of the parents on this forum would teach their children the rules of gun safety.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads