JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
As a supporting vendor, I am limited to two ads total in the classifieds section. I pay $500 a year to be a vendor. I feel two ads across all categories of the classifieds is extremely limited. Some days I go into the handguns section and the entire page is postings from one or two members.

I can understand the motive for limiting vendors' posts. I never liked seeing the pawn shops that post 20 ads in a row of the same overpriced guns every day on Armslist. I agree with the sentiment that vendors should have a limit. It tends to reduce clutter. I simply feel that currently the limit is too low. From a business perspective, I am not seeing a return of investment.

I am curious what the other members here think. For what it's worth, this is a new account I created with the start of my business. I have been active on NWFA since 2015.

I don't cruise the classifieds all that often these days, but you're right, there are many members that have lots of listings; many of which aren't supporters of the site. That said, I don't think vendors should spam either. Honestly though, unless you're posting items at a fantastic discount, I don't see it helping you much.

Last Edited:
I don't cruise the classifieds all that often these days, but you're right, there are many members that have lots of listings; many of which aren't supporters of the site. That said, I don't think vendors should spam either. Honestly though, unless you're posting items at a fantastic discount, I didn't see it helping you much.
I had mentioned some years ago about ad titles should be "Powder for loading", and within that one ad name the eight [powders/W price that you're selling. There was some reason that was shot down that I don't recall now. And if you have five handguns to sell, the same should apply. I like looking for loading supplies. An ad that says "POWDERS!"? I'm clicking on that. Looking for a gun? Love revolvers, lever actions, bolt guns etc? I'm clicking on that. Seven different caliber/weight "Projectiles"? Don't need seven ads in a row naming each one..

post all your firearms in one or two posts and continue to update as you get more items or sell items. thats what other vendors seem to do you use links to your website as most also do here.

Honestly the classifieds postings could be tightened up in general. Non-supporting members should definitely be sharply limited on active classifieds, with the cap being raised for every tier of support they have. This should also apply to vendors; they get a higher limit just for supporting the site, and they can pay extra for larger bundles if they want to use this site as a primary outlet.

Of course with all these changes we should probably add a few filter options; free member, supporting member and vendor filter options.

Yes, limiting postings, especially for non-supporting members might make things harder to find as many people will simply choose to bundle lots of sales into one flee-market like post, but tons of people do this already so I wonder how big an impact it would really have. I figure if they want to deal with all the cross-chatter that is on them, and they can just suffer the reduced visibility inherent in a bundled post.

I always wondered how those you speak of with 27 postings in a row in the Handgun Classifieds haven't been asked to pony up funds as a Vendor. It's obvious, there are a few FFL dealers regurgitating the same overpriced stuff either for sale or trade.
This site is unique. Turning it into a pay to play site would change that. I would hope*, enough of the membership would take enough pride in what we have here, to pony up a few dollars a month/year.

Yeah, I know, if you put hope in one hand and sh## in the other...................

post all your firearms in one or two posts and continue to update as you get more items or sell items. thats what other vendors seem to do you use links to your website as most also do here.
This is not as effective as having individual ads for firearms. I will group items in a single post if there are a lot of them (out of courtesy), but the downsides are that if I add items the post title will not reflect this, and the post never makes it to the "new ads" page. Plus the formatting of the classifieds section is more geared towards one item, one price.
Honestly the classifieds postings could be tightened up in general. Non-supporting members should definitely be sharply limited on active classifieds, with the cap being raised for every tier of support they have. This should also apply to vendors; they get a higher limit just for supporting the site, and they can pay extra for larger bundles if they want to use this site as a primary outlet.

Of course with all these changes we should probably add a few filter options; free member, supporting member and vendor filter options.

Yes, limiting postings, especially for non-supporting members might make things harder to find as many people will simply choose to bundle lots of sales into one flee-market like post, but tons of people do this already so I wonder how big an impact it would really have. I figure if they want to deal with all the cross-chatter that is on them, and they can just suffer the reduced visibility inherent in a bundled post.
My opinion on supporting members (not vendors) is that if you are willing to pay, any amount, then you should have unlimited use of the classifieds. Non-supporting members should probably have some sort of cap.

This site is unique. Turning it into a pay to play site would change that. I would hope*, enough of the membership would take enough pride in what we have here, to pony up a few dollars a month/year.

Yeah, I know, if you put hope in one hand and sh## in the other...................
I agree with this.

Wow! That is an excellent advertising value. There is definitely an opportunity to maximize the return on investment.

As far as the two ad policy…. It seems a bit limiting. It is probably something I would discuss with the forum owner directly. He may be able to provide information that would help you develop a marketing strategy that works within the forum's Bronze Supporting Vendor terms. If I was in business, I would want to be able to post one advertisement in each category that was pertinent to my business activity, and I would want a small banner as my signature line. I would also want a vendor profile page with links to my current forum ads and to my off-forum website.

While working on the ad limit issue, there are other areas of the forum that you could utilize to attract traffic to your business. Maybe a weekly updated Thread in the Maintenance & Gunsmithing Section, or other positive/constructive engagement throughout the forum. Some other vendors make good use of the forum outside the Classified Section. You have the tools equipment, you write well, and you have an audience to showcase your services, knowledge & skills.

Wishing the best for you and your business.

If you hadn't have posted this thread in the Member Suggestions section, I might not have noticed your business...because I currently have the Classified Section ignored. Now I have visited your website, and viewed all of your posts and ads on this forum.

Last Edited:
My opinion on supporting members (not vendors) is that if you are willing to pay, any amount, then you should have unlimited use of the classifieds. Non-supporting members should probably have some sort of cap.
That seems reasonable. What about for vendors? It seems to me if they are using the site to run a business it is reasonable to tier their access, but if personal accounts get unlimited they would need additional perks to justify a vendor account (instead of just trying to fly under the radar with as many listings as they can justify in a day). I know I would like to see more obvious vendor profile info on posts, like maybe a vendor tag just like the support level tags. Bonus points if that tag links to their site for easy access. I bet there a other good vendor perks that we could think up, especially for accounts that regularly participate in conversation.

I kinda like the non-supporting having a reasonable limit as well, but Vendors... 2 in all categories does seem a bit over restrictive, but that said, I appreciate a limit being imposed on vendors. Maybe 1 per category(?)

For me, I see the value for supporting vendors a little different than just the classifieds. For me... the classifieds are a "safe haven" for P2P's to recycle items amongst ourselves. Like "helping a buddy out" and keeping the money flowing back and forth into our own pockets. I also like that who I'm buying from knows the history and is typically much better informed about something they own and are trying to sell than "cold buying" through a retailer.

I very much appreciate not having the classifieds overrun with retailer ads. If I wanted to buy from a retailer I would be visiting a retailers website. KWIM?

When I'm shopping for something, I first look at the classifieds for P2P transactions, from there (and this is where the supporting vendor value comes in) I will next browse the supporting vendors and give them first shot at my money. A vendor that supports the community he/she relies on for their livelihood is always going to have preference over one that doesn't. Even if their prices are marginally higher. I'm quite big on trying to keep my money local.. and 2nd best.. small businesses.

On the multiple items listings and updating as new shtuff is available thing.... I absolutely hate those. Worse than that are the very generic "Parts clean out - updated" listings. Parts for what? (or as appropriate: Optics for what? Holsters for what? Mags for what? Etc...) From experience, "updated" is very often not "recently". The original listing is quite old, and they may have added 1 or 2 items way back when... but after you've clicked their ad a few times and browsed the 20 different things to try and ascertain if there actually IS anything new... and more often than not there isn't... it just get's tedious.

I don't play that game anymore.:D Nowadays, I generally just don't click on overly generalized listing titles, and even if I do, you're only going to get, at most, 2 clicks out of me before I subsequently recognize your name, catalog it as "not interested", won't click again and will never see anything you might add to that listing down the road.

IMHO, when it is appropriate for a vendor to use the classifieds:
1. A special/rare deal that would be competitive with used private party pricing. Simply as "ad' space... I say, "no".
2. I think it's entirely appropriate to post in the "great deals" classifieds. IE., Special sales, promotions, discounts, etc.

That said, if a vendor is posting to the great deals weekly, and in my own estimation... they really aren't ever all that great of a deal compared to the whole marketplace... I'll quickly file it away in the back of my brain to ignore them when I see them.

I always wondered how those you speak of with 27 postings in a row in the Handgun Classifieds haven't been asked to pony up funds as a Vendor. It's obvious, there are a few FFL dealers regurgitating the same overpriced stuff either for sale or trade.

ETA: I spoke out of turn, the individual I thought was a dealer, in fact isn't.
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8-10.jpg

I'd love to see non supporting members limited. As for the vendors that learned how to adapt to loading up several items into one or two pages congrats! You are the kind of folks that I'll support here. I don't want to come come on the classifieds and see 12 listing in a row from a mooch. To the vendor's who thinks they're being unfailry treated theres the biggest work around and it has been utilized well.

I pay $500 a year to be a vendor.
Another way to look at it is that's $41.66 per month or $1.39 per day to get access to the members here. From my experience I've mostly tried to spend my money with the vendors here first unless it's a one-off item. Being a new business it's always hard to best determine where to spend your advertising dollars, that said I've read on many occasions members here also try to support the vendors that support this community. I'll certainly keep you in mind when I need what you provide.

My 2 cents.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top