JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I finally got the nipple out after lots of heat and kroil the drum clean out screw Is still being stubborn and I am still working on the bore the new problem I have is that replacement nipples I bought are the wrong thread... I was hoping to switch this over to a musket nipple because those are the only caps I can find sportsmans didn't have any other options for a finer thread nipple... Now I have 200 musket caps and only a number 11 nipple
Lyman's rifles are made by Investarms. They are Italian, hence METRIC. The proper size is 6-.75. I STRONGLY advise you to NOT switch to musket caps. They have been "dumbed down" for the reenactor crowd till many brands are completely unreliable. A quick search of Cabela's shows they have #11 caps, I would assume that Tualatin will have them.

I was hoping to switch this over to a musket nipple
Not a bad idea and I am planning on doing the same on my T/C Renegade as I have lots of musket caps and few # 11s - but my local Bi-Mart has a full rack of # 11s so I might just stock up on them.

Check the thread size carefully as I believe some of the Italian repros were tapped for SAE sizes for the ease of U.S. owners.

I get it a lot of people tell me to use brake fluid for applications like this and I wasn't sure which is why I asked
Honestly, I'd never heard of using brake fluid as a penetrant. Not going to heap scorn on something I've never experimented with, but my experience with it has been more that it CAUSES rust than that it penetrates or loosens it. Glad to hear you're making progress though, hang in there! Can you order a correctly fitting nipple on the net?

You may never get the clean out screw out. I've worked on dozens of muzzleloaders, and if I get one that the screw DOES come out it's time to quit for the day and have a beer to celebrate.

Lyman's rifles are made by Investarms. They are Italian, hence METRIC. The proper size is 6-.75. I STRONGLY advise you to NOT switch to musket caps. They have been "dumbed down" for the reenactor crowd till many brands are completely unreliable. A quick search of Cabela's shows they have #11 caps, I would assume that Tualatin will have them.
the only reason I was going for musket caps is because it was all that was available at sportsman's they are CCI brand I haven't been able to find any number 11 caps haven't been able to find much of anything recently I wasn't permanently planning on going to musket caps I just wanted something that I could get it in a fireable condition because I'm still learning and want to actually put a couple rounds through it

Not a bad idea and I am planning on doing the same on my T/C Renegade as I have lots of musket caps and few # 11s - but my local Bi-Mart has a full rack of # 11s so I might just stock up on them.

Check the thread size carefully as I believe some of the Italian repros were tapped for SAE sizes for the ease of U.S. owners.
I wish my local Bi-Mart had a full rack of them... My local Bi mart has Jack and s*** they're almost completely out of ammo in general all they have left is 300 win mag... I haven't seen them that sparse ever

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews