JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My trusty Sig Sauer M11a1 is now my rusty Sig. First I saw a splotch on a magazine. Then the back side of the controls and even the darn FIRING PIN! So now it will need a complete teardown and thorough cleaning. What I find odd is that this handgun is supposed to be non- rustable. First I will shoot the heck out of it. Neither my old P226 or P220 show any propensity toward rusting. Have any of you had a similar issue ? Thanks the Rudedog.

What I find odd is that this handgun is supposed to be non- rustable
If it's metal seems it will rust at some point. Touching a firearm leaves our natural oils on it, those natural oils collect dirt, dust and moisture a breading ground for rust. So wipe down those arms after that gentle fondle session. YMMV

Many older firearms have a higher content of nickel in the steel. Less likely to rust.
I have seen a new Weatherby Vanguard develop a fine rust. Where in a similar environment
a 1903A3 has none?o_O FYI All the M&P semi autos have Armornite finish stainless steel
slides and barrels.

Curious about a couple things:

How long has it been since you unloaded it and did a visual inspection and dry fire?

How long has it been since you have shot it? And was it cleaned after?

How long has it been in the holster?

How long has it been since you unloaded it and did a visual inspection and dry fire?

OK now your making me feel bad. I really need to clean mine and get it all oiled up again its been way to long.

Great reminder.

Now, sigh, I have to clean my yard pistol and I haven't shot it in a month or so, but I have exposed it to the elements while working in the yard and my handling it.

Darn I'm probably overdue for a cleaning on mine.

I went a year once in my earlier carry days with a Taurus TCP. It wasn't pretty.

Now I carry a stainless gun and try to get it cleaned once a month. I also try to shoot it once a month or every other month to refresh the carry rounds and it gives me reason to clean.

Shot , unloaded , removed from holster ect. Sig promotes this model as being inside out UN - rustable. I guess the big parts are but the little parts are not. The little parts are necessary to keep it chugging though. Compared to the very weather and carry smootz proof Ruger LCR I am surprised that this Sig likes to rust at all. I traded my old P228 (Swiss Police trade-in) on it because of its propensity to be rust proof. The M11 a1 has not been subject to the elements enough to get crusty or rusty.

I have a stainless Ruger SP101 that I carry in a leather holster under a shirt. Any part of the gun that comes in contact with my skin for prolonged periods of time, especially during summer months, gets some form of corrosion. I had to replace the aluminum locator pin because it began to attach to the grip frame. These days I have a delrin locator pin I made but have round bar to make a stainless version. The grip panels were poly coated with a wood back. The wood began to get damaged so now my grip panels are plastic. Even with those changes, the very top edge of the grip, where it touches the frame, will develop rust that needs to be cleaned regularly. Even stainless rusts and we humans generate moisture and salt. My solution is to keep an eye on it and clean it every so often. Unless it was a 100% polymer pistol, I would expect rust on any metal surface you touch regularly. Cleaning is part of the routine.

Good luck with your carry gun.

Interesting reading the replies. From my observations, metal that gets touched regularly gets less corroded. Take for example the door handles at a certain box chain outfitter near me. The top portion of the right handle is very shiny brass, yet the bottom portion of the left handle (where I open from for these reasons) is tarnished brass. Of course, steel may behave differently and YMMV

I've been carrying mine for about 6 months with no signs of rust anywhere.
But then neither do any of my other Sigs.
Don't really go crazy oiling and wiping stuff down all the time either.

I thought it was just a couple of the internal parts that got phosphate coated. Turns out it's pretty much everything internal including controls.

The hammer has been a drawer in the garage for a while un-oiled and has no signs of rust.
The trigger had been a drawer for a bit as well and still looked fine when I sold it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top