JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A flock of geese (excellent alarm system) and a couple of dogs that will protect them from coyotes. A simple wire fence with signage will help keep most out (like a dog marking it's territory) won't have any affect on the deer. Have you ever seen what you have to do to keep deer out?
Guard geese are awesome no joke..... definitely good at keeping watch but only good for daytime. Got to put them up at night or they are coyote snacks

I live out in the country on acreage as well. Security in layers. We are fortunate that part of our property is bordered by a small river, so natural deterrent. We also actually leave our driveway intentionally looking rough- most people who see it probably think it is an overgrown farming road, and dont realize that there is a nice house at the end, out of sight of any main road. We intentionally left the other 3 sides of our property 'rough around the edges', meaning intentionally overgrown with blackberry bushes. No one is getting through that, better than any fence. So it funnels any visitors down our quarter mile drive, which has motion sensor lights and motion activated alarms, which chimes a different chime as the visitor gets closer. Security cameras also surround the property, and can be easily accessed through my iphone or ipad. Often i will hear the driveway chime go off, and wont even get up from the couch, just log Into the app and do a quick check to see who is coming. Cameras can be accessed remotly away from the home, and alarm system will trigger and alert remotely as well. Motion lights and security cameras around the house inside and out. Dog on duty at all times- she is no killer, would much prefer to lick you to death, but she will bark and make known that someone is there. Side note- for the back door we bought heavy duty dog kennel fencing, and fenced in the back entry, including a dog door. So anyone coming that way, if they made it past the alarms, lights, and cameras, would still have to get through the kennel fencing, and then would be right in the middle of the dogs domain. If a threat is eminatent, we have a hidden panic room that we can retreat to, secured and barricaded, where i can remotely monitor the cameras throughout the house, and defend myself if needed as a last resort.

Is it overkill? Maybe. But I sleep like a damn baby . . . ;-)

IMG_20181229_085403.jpg

Last Edited:
I can tell you with certainty from having owned both, it is very hard to find better watch dogs than Guinea Fowl and Corsican Donkeys. Both will alert you to the presence of trespassers rather quickly and are keen to report on that which is not the norm.

I can tell you with certainty from having owned both, it is very hard to find better watch dogs than Guinea Fowl and Corsican Donkeys. Both will alert you to the presence of trespassers rather quickly and are keen to report on that which is not the norm.

Did you use the donkey to protect the Guinea from predation? Have heard folks doing such, but for goats.

Did you use the donkey to protect the Guinea from predation? Have heard folks doing such, but for goats.

The Donkeys did indeed protect the birds, cattle and other livestock from predation . Donkey's can be very aggressive , when I owned mine they killed more than one song dog via kicking and stomping them to death. They also have a very nasty bite.

If I didn't want to know I wouldn't have asked :s0045:
My bad.

The fiber optic stuff would start around 30k for the controller right off the bat.

The captive e-field with the two parallel cables is tad less.

This is buried border / pipeline / facility stuff.

Last Edited:
I live outside Portland on acreage and I'm thinking of ways to improve perimeter defense. The property is large enough that fencing the entire property would be prohibitively expensive plus my wife loves watching the deer in the yard. The driveway is 1/4th mile long, the house is on high ground and I have a suppressed 308 battle rifle plus the usual stuff we all own. That said, the perimeter is dense forest and someone could follow a deer trail into the property and close to the house without being detected.

What's the best way to keep the perimeter secure without getting false positives from deer and coyotes? Right now, the best idea I have is a dog that is alert enough to indicate prowling without nuisance barking at the numerous coyotes common to the area.

Over the next year, we plan on getting an electric gate for the driveway and we're getting another dog in the next month or two (old dog got old and croaked). Guns and body armor are covered, I have some daytime & nightvision cameras that I'm setting up so I can monitor the exterior at night and we're on well/septic with backup power generator.
I think there may be some takeaways from this informative video:

Also, I should mention that I am wanting perimeter detection to warn of an organized home invasion perhaps conducted by armed radicals etc.

Ahhh, organized home invasion by group of armed radicals... How do you imagine they'd invade ?
If i were they, ( and your butler had already given up that you own enough old masters/ bullion/ pearl necklaces to make it worthwhile), I'd start by going on Portland maps to find out the names of the homeowners, then go on Zillow/redfin/google earth to see if I could find any info about the layout of your house, back doors etc. i'd google the homeowners names to see if i could find any social media that would give insight to their ages and hobbies- ie shooting. After a few days of reconning your house for animals, number of occupants, Amazon deliveries etc ,( if no Amazon, then we'd go with utility worker overalls), m y team of 3-4 home invaders, equipped with solvent traps, ( because we're that bad), would set up around your house. One of us, wearing a delivery type outfit would ring your front door bell whilst others would wait to simultaneously enter through the back.
Upon answering the door you'd be shot. My cohorts entering through the back would also immediatly shoot anyone or anything they saw move.
After dispensing with wigs and prosthetic noses we'd immediately head to Canada to fence our spoils.
That's all, of course, if the "Private property" signs hadn't put us off.

As has been alluded to in earlier comments landscaping can be a great system. Defensive Landscaping is the concept. Using earthworks, water features, plantings, fences, etc to guide intruders to where YOU want them. Create defensible landscape features with raised beds, ditches, swales, trees, prickly plantings, etc. It will appear to just be landscaping to most and can minimize the area of defensive perimeter you have to monitor closely. Bermed or raised beds can create cover and concealment.

Punji holes and Viper pits along the outer perimeter.

Tiger traps, Mace traps and other various spiked traps along the middle perimeter.

'Bouncing Bettys' and Claymores along the inner perimeter.

Any survive their way through that gauntlet, and the M2 Browning will be there to greet them.

There are scenarios where armed Thugz may be outside your home, next to the walls, looking for a window or door to enter. In this scenario you will not be able to poke your head out for a shot without being killed. Solution: have cameras pointing at your exterior walls (perhaps roof also) so you can see the Thugz. For accurately locating the Thugz, consider markers of some kind on the exterior walls/roof (paint blotches?), and locate the marks on the interior of the house. This way you can shoot thru the wall or roof and take 'em out.

Edit to add: The above does not apply to your ordinary burglar Thugz where the Thugz are the criminals. The scenarios I am thinking of, are war scenarios where paid Thugz have decided that YOU are a criminal because you had the gall to exercise your 2A rights, so they are there to take away your 2A rights, or kill you if you resist. Elections have consequences.

Last Edited:
Ahhh, organized home invasion by group of armed radicals... How do you imagine they'd invade ?
If i were they, ( and your butler had already given up that you own enough old masters/ bullion/ pearl necklaces to make it worthwhile), I'd start by going on Portland maps to find out the names of the homeowners, then go on Zillow/redfin/google earth to see if I could find any info about the layout of your house, back doors etc. i'd google the homeowners names to see if i could find any social media that would give insight to their ages and hobbies- ie shooting. After a few days of reconning your house for animals, number of occupants, Amazon deliveries etc ,( if no Amazon, then we'd go with utility worker overalls), m y team of 3-4 home invaders, equipped with solvent traps, ( because we're that bad), would set up around your house. One of us, wearing a delivery type outfit would ring your front door bell whilst others would wait to simultaneously enter through the back.
Upon answering the door you'd be shot. My cohorts entering through the back would also immediatly shoot anyone or anything they saw move.
After dispensing with wigs and prosthetic noses we'd immediately head to Canada to fence our spoils.
That's all, of course, if the "Private property" signs hadn't put us off.
Very possible, but there's a good chance the point-man would get shot too, so it may be a mutually assured destruction scenario... send the new guy for that role? Multiple team members in different groups would be difficult due to remote location on acreage, but possible that someone could hike through the brush and avoid dog and train a rifle at the door.

You'd rather do a daytime job rather than a zero dark thirty door kick? I had imagined the attack would happen at night, but daytime maybe everyone's guard is down and there's a chance everyone's at work anyway.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top