JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live outside Portland on acreage and I'm thinking of ways to improve perimeter defense. The property is large enough that fencing the entire property would be prohibitively expensive plus my wife loves watching the deer in the yard. The driveway is 1/4th mile long, the house is on high ground and I have a suppressed 308 battle rifle plus the usual stuff we all own. That said, the perimeter is dense forest and someone could follow a deer trail into the property and close to the house without being detected.

What's the best way to keep the perimeter secure without getting false positives from deer and coyotes? Right now, the best idea I have is a dog that is alert enough to indicate prowling without nuisance barking at the numerous coyotes common to the area.

Over the next year, we plan on getting an electric gate for the driveway and we're getting another dog in the next month or two (old dog got old and croaked). Guns and body armor are covered, I have some daytime & nightvision cameras that I'm setting up so I can monitor the exterior at night and we're on well/septic with backup power generator.

Dogs are an excellent deterrent, and according to most data, bigger black dogs are the most feared. I keep the outside of my home well lit at night with cameras to bolster my view of what's coming. I also have security signs posted, seems to work well for me.

When I lived in a higher crime area many years ago I bought a third cheap commuter car and alternated and changed up the days I drove it so there was always a vehicle at home. YMMV

I also thought this short 5-minute video was helpful to make sure I had my bases covered, so I'll include it for your review.

Dog(s) has you 90% covered- Private property signs, motion floodlights and cameras dotted around and you'll be fine. Anyone who can evade those simple things is probably going to Jason Bourne their way in and you're done for.
And Unless you're well known for having a decent sized pot grow or something else of high value, you're probably not worth the effort. ( i mean that in a nice way)

Dogs are an excellent deterrent, and according to most data, bigger black dogs are the most feared.
Guess I'll fill in for @Stomper this morning...

1607365292563.gif
:s0140:

Yes to a dog. Additional eyes and ears.

Consider strategically-placed signs. We and the neighbors put in these at the start of the private road. They are metal, very visible, and pre-drilled such that it is easy to mount to a post.
Sign - Private Road No Trespassing

In WA State trespassing is only a misdemeanor. ...but it gives LE a reason to stop the vehicle and search it. Per a LE friend, if they are up to no good then there is probably something illegal in the vehicle or someone has a warrant.

You didn't state a budget... :)

I am not a shill for Senstar. But I was a shill for the originator of this technology long ago... In a land far, far away....

You didn't state a budget... :)

I am not a shill for Senstar. But I was a shill for the originator of this technology long ago... In a land far, far away....
Couldn't find it on the website but seems expensive. Any idea what something like this would cost?! I'm guessing more than my kidney would bring at auction!

Couldn't find it on the website but seems expensive. Any idea what something like this would cost?! I'm guessing more than my kidney would bring at auction!
While this seems cool, how would this system avoid dozens of false alarms per day due to deer and coyotes? Budget is somewhat variable depending on the benefit and timescale. Something in the 5k or less could be feasible within a few years, a grand or less is feasible within 3-6 months.

The biggest issue I have is a logical problem of how to sort out 4 legged critters from the 2 legged ones.

Also, I should mention that I am wanting perimeter detection to warn of an organized home invasion perhaps conducted by armed radicals etc.

Ideally, I'd like a one minute advance notice that I have "surprise guests" that I need to welcome with only a low number of false positives.

While this seems cool, how would this system avoid dozens of false alarms per day due to deer and coyotes? Budget is somewhat variable depending on the benefit and timescale. Something in the 5k or less could be feasible within a few years, a grand or less is feasible within 3-6 months.

The biggest issue I have is a logical problem of how to sort out 4 legged critters from the 2 legged ones.

Detection parameters are infinitely variable.

And no... no pricing. You don't want to know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top