Ruger SR1911 Nosediving 1st Round

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Dyjital, Apr 15, 2018 at 4:39 PM.

What to do?

This poll will close on May 13, 2018 at 4:39 PM.
  1. Modify yourself

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Send to Ruger

23 vote(s)
    88.5%
  1. 40isforme

40isforme
    Gresham

Send it back that's just crazy there quality is going down hill?

2. MrRob96

MrRob96
    Greater Tacoma Area
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I usually like to fix gun problems myself because: 1) I'm mechanically inclined 2) I freaking hate waiting and the cost to ship guns 3) I doubt it'll be properly fixed by the people that boned it up to begin with.

In your case, I would also send it back to Ruger because grinding on the serialized part of the weapon is a red flag for me. Too easy to screw it up and be out an entire gun. If it was the barrel that needed the feed ramp polished, I'd say do it yourself.

Sucks you have to wait for Ruger to fix what they should have handled from the factory.

And +1 to a break in period being unacceptable. That's a bunch of BS. Freaking Kimber. @Ura-Ki

One more for your Kimber break-in period.

Dyjital likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed

For those who don' understand the whole 1911 and break in, would you go out and hammer the hell out of a brand new Corvette, right of the showroom floor with out breaking it in first? Do you think that car will make it far enough to surpass the powertrain warranty? Prolly not! A 1911 is a precisely machined and fitted instrument, it takes a little time to wear those moving parts in and loosen it up just enough to remain tight and yet accurate! We'e Not talking just Kimber, but all mid range and higher 1911s! I would have thought Ruger would have fit in here, but I see that's not the case! Tell me this, that same corvette, would you just fire it up cold, slip it in gear and hammer down on it? Not likely if you expect it to last! Say what you will about Kimber and a break in prosess, if you don't follow, thats entirely on you when it fails, or dosnt live up to the lofty reputation the 1911 platform has rightly earned!

4. asbtg

asbtg
    Seattle
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Considering that's the logical fallacy of the False Dichotomy, a 1911 neither needs to be warmed up to avoid damage nor is it as complex a machine as an internal combustion engine. It has exactly 1 purpose and that is to go bang when the gas pedal is pushed. 1st time, every time. Otherwise it is broken. Sure, there are some manufacturers that build in tolerances so tight that they are essentially final-fitted upon initial firing, hence the much-debated "break-in" but a 1911 for all it's beauty and elegance is a machine that Must Work if called upon. Send it back or move it on. I'd say that's just my 2c, but I think I tossed a quarter there... ;)

MrRob96 likes this.
  5. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Exactly, break in = b.s.. If it doesn't work out of the box, something is wrong.

Dyjital likes this.
  6. mrblond

mrblond
    Salem OR

when in doubt, ship it out!

7. Levetti

Levetti
    Spokane, Washington
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Most guns need a break-in of some sort. All my M&P triggers were gritty for several hundred rounds before smoothing out; AK bolt carriers can be sticky when charging until the hammer smooths out. I shoot my guns a lot already, so a break in period doesn't bother me. I also don't trust any gun right out of the box and would never put a gun into a defensive role without firing at least 500 rounds through it.

Ura-Ki and WAYNO like this.
  8. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

See that's where I get worked up.

I've heard lots of folks talk about more expensive 1911s needing to be broken in like it is a good thing

I think that is a bad thing in my opinion.

If I were to make a expensive product, I would perform this supposed break in period for the customer, so said customer would simply get an amazing product from the get go without having to break it in of any sort. In other words, you get this amazing reliability from the very beginning.

If this is considered a normal thing among expensive brands, I say that's a very lazy aspect on the manufacturers to expect the end user to perform the ultimate "finishing" of the product.

I like my products finished from the get go.

9. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

It could just be that this one is defective and otherwise wouldn't need breaking in. That barrel ramp doesn't look cut deep enough. I don't have experience with Rugers but if you can feel side to side play in the slide to frame fit then its probably just defective feed ramp. If its a tight fit then it needs about 500 rds, give or take, to break in naturally with a wipedown and reoiling every 50rds during that process (per my Dan Wesson owners manual). An alternative to speed that up is to rack the slide manually 500 times while watching tv or something don't forget to re-oil....

like it or not, some 1911s do need breaking in and its in their owners manual, usually 500rds. I know Kimber and Dan Wesson say so. I agree that they shouldn't, but you can thank the gun sheeple for thinking if there is play in the slide to frame fit that their precious piece of 1911 history was not worth the high dollar 1911s command. They don't need to be fitted that tight to be the reliable tack driver they are famous for.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 7:36 PM
    Jlong55 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Dyjital

Dyjital
    Albany, Ore
    Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Have label for return to Ruger. Called today after school and set it up.

Now I need to find a plain box and send it in.

11. Koda

Koda
    Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

I bought a small cheap plastic handgun case for warranty shipping, then put it inside a recycled cardboard box stuffed with newspaper around it. The case has been to two different manufacturers for warranty repair (Sig and Dan Wesson) each one twice.... so don't feel alone in the problem. People just dont take pride in production anymore not even Dan Wesson.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w
    Keizer
    if u like my avatar and want one PM me Gold Supporter

agreed

Ura-Ki likes this.
  13. coop44

coop44
    Tacoma ,WA

Guess I am going to stick with my caspian/foster framed guns, may even go for a fitted slide on the next one. Them there factory guns sound like a pita.

IMG_20170901_1220177_rewind.jpg