JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What to do?

• Modify yourself

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Send to Ruger

Votes: 31 88.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have a remington enhanced with 5k rounds thru it. cleaned every thousand rounds or so and thats even with a suppressor.

runs like a champ and accurate to boot!

@Dyjital im glad ruger hooked you up! looks like it should be trouble free now!

Most aftermarket underpriced manufacturers take advantage of the fact that few guns get more than a few hundred rounds of ammo fired in them during there lifetime. I have built maby 50 1911's from bare frames. It is really easy to tell the qua;it's of a part when you are fitting it. I usually bought oversized parts requiring fitting and as soon as you touch them with an abrasive it is apparent the inherent quality was. The USMC armorers are building 1911's for the Force recon and matches with Caspian frames and Colt parts. The Caspian frames are cut oversized and underside allowing parts to be precisely fit. My Caspian/Gold Cup has probably 20,000 rounds through it and the fit has never changed. My Colt Commander has been shot with maximum loads probably 5-10,000 times with the same result. I built a Springfield frame when they first came out. It could be scratched with an awl and was very soft........in short......Junk. Essex frames were good but nothing was better than Colt and/or Caspian.

Are you talking about cast frames , forged stainless, forged hi carbon steel or alloy frames ? My stainless Kimber has well over 5k rounds and no signs of wear. Both mine are forged stainless. Not cast like many Caspian frames.

I read Ruger and Caspian frames are from Pine Tree casting. And Ruger owns that company. It should be a good frame, I would think.

From Caspians sight. They have barstock frames and slides as well. Nice . https://www.m1911.org/caspian.htm

Investment cast receivers Available in a variety of lengths (Government, Commander, Officers and smaller than Officers) they are produced by Ruger's Pine Tree Foundry and come in 4130 blue steel or 410 stainless steel or 356AL T-6 Aluminum. The smaller-than-Officers model is only for gunsmith work, as it will require several additional custom components, in order to become a pistol.

I've been watching this thread since it started, to see where it would go.

I do not believe in "break in" periods for pistols. If they are built correctly, they will run...they are a machine, they don't have a choice. I don't recall hearing about "break in" periods before the last 15 years or so.

Case in point here...the Ruger gets sent back, now it runs...without a "break in" period. With any metal to metal contact, things will either smooth out, or gouge...but they will run if built correctly.

My definition of "break in" period from the manufacturer for their pistols...we are really not sure if our product was assembled with correct spec parts, and that all the machining was finished as policy, so we are playing the odds that with enough trial, error and some minor tinkering, it will work itself out.

We, as the firearms consumer should not lower our standard of expectations about what quality is.

A few sayings that come to mind...garbage in-garbage out. Would rather explain the price of quality, than to have to apologize for something less.

And my favorite, which came from my dear friend Richard Neimer who passed a few years ago. He was a pistolsmith at Detonics back in the 80's-90's and developed the Janus Scoremaster. At the time of his passing, he was the chief pistolsmith at Schuetzen Pistol Works/Safari Arms.

If it's not durable, it's not reliable.

I suppose all those matches won with investment cast guns are just an anomaly. I would never buy a Kimber, pay for excessive marketing and give away contracts to Leo's, nope. A properly made and heat treated cast frame is just fine.

Kimber used frames from Jericho same as Wilson and many others. Then Kimber purchased Jericho and made Wilson's frames for 7 years. Even their alloy frames are fine let alone the Stainless or carbon steel ones. Pony boys.

Last Edited:
New off shelf Ruger SR1911

Issue:
When a loaded magazine is inserted and the slide is sent home, the first round (#7) is sent into a nosedive and locks up the action.

What ammo I have tried:
  • I have tried factory 230gr RN-issue present
  • I have tried 185 TC factory rounds-issue present
  • 185 RN reloads-issue present
Magazines I have tried:
  • Ruger factory magazines
  • Kimber factory magazines
  • Wilson tac magazines (thanks to Tarster)
  • McCormick mags (thanks to Tarster)
Other things I've tried:
  • Polished feed ramps thinking that may have been an issue. Issue still prevalent.
Today I went out and shot about 100 rounds or so using exclusively the Ruger magazines. The slide would bind on the first round 25% of the time. This wouldn't matter if I pushed up on the magazine while sending slide home.

After getting home I disassembled for a clean bit noticed this:
View attachment 450545

I'm getting two distinct spots that the rounds are hitting when being fed. Noticing the lower location is right at the bottom of the ramp where any round hitting that would bite and seize because nothing is kicking it upward to go into the chamber.

Contemplating the thought of taking a dremel and extending the feed ramp down another 1/8-1/16" to alleviate that bite.

I'd rather not send to Ruger at this point, while their customer service is great, I'm not sure if I'm ready for the possibility of any back and forths with this pistol if I get it back with note saying "no problem detected".

Currently have over 300 rounds through it at this point. The 230gr round nose ammo is 1.250" and I have the 185's at 1.250" as well. I did run some dry runs minus firing pin to see what was going on so I could slam everything around without the fear of a negligent discharge. I will attach a photo of the round below.
View attachment 450554
It's clear there how it hits. Don't mind the circular ring, that's just where the bullet seater was pressing.

Thoughts on my possible solution?

Drive to Ben's Loan in Renton,WA (or call Peter and ask him) hand it to Peter Dunn and do whatever he says or let him do it.
He is a great guy. Head Gunsmith at Detonics back in the day, more recently he was chief production Engineer for the reincarnated Detonics in Georgia. He worked directly with Caspian and Rugers Pine tree castings.

Ran some rounds through, was a little pressed for time but about 30 went through, no hiccups.

I have since the range trip, taken the pistol apart, checked frame and slide fit for any binding etc. I wanted to ensure that the slide would move freely on the frame. All was perfect there. Shoots as well as the previous SR1911 and other 1911's I've had in the past... but:

I did buy some hollow points for self defense rounds... that's not working... I think I need one that has a poly tip. So I have a box of .45 ACP now that I can't use. It caused bullet setback when the blunt nose hit the frame. 19 of 20 remain. LOL.

Having the same problem with truncated cone tips through my 1911. They bind on the barest edge of the tip. Gotta be a timing issue, maybe wear? Going to try to find a 1911 guru near Seattle-stan.
Ran some rounds through, was a little pressed for time but about 30 went through, no hiccups.

I have since the range trip, taken the pistol apart, checked frame and slide fit for any binding etc. I wanted to ensure that the slide would move freely on the frame. All was perfect there. Shoots as well as the previous SR1911 and other 1911's I've had in the past... but:

I did buy some hollow points for self defense rounds... that's not working... I think I need one that has a poly tip. So I have a box of .45 ACP now that I can't use. It caused bullet setback when the blunt nose hit the frame. 19 of 20 remain. LOL.

Having the same problem with truncated cone tips through my 1911. They bind on the barest edge of the tip. Gotta be a timing issue, maybe wear? Going to try to find a 1911 guru near Seattle-stan.
Sounds like it may need a little feed ramp love.

I didn't have anymore TC bullets to try sadly...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top