JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What causes a 1911 to not feed the last round correctly? I have a homebuild 1911 that runs flawless other than quite often FTF with 8rd kimber mags. The 7rd doesn't seem to have that problem as often.

It strips the round, goes up the feedramp and will get jammed with the nose in the top part of the chamber. Sometimes all the way off the mag and then the bullets is somehow stuck pointing up into the chamber, sometimes it just goes up the feedramp and is still held by the mag feedlips.

Some guns just don't like certain magazines. Mine have run fine on 8 round Kimber mags but YMMV. The design on the top of the magazine can differ substantially with different models and this will no doubt effect the movement of the round as it transitions out of the mag, especially the final round. I've read of folks having issues with expensive mags having similar issues as well, not just Kimbers. The follower design (flat with the Kimbers I have) could cause a difference as well.
$.02 and good luck with the journey

I don't have the opportunity to try different mags yet. Also, I don't think that the springs are worn out, they are really not that old.

What causes a 1911 to not feed the last round correctly? I have a homebuild 1911 that runs flawless other than quite often FTF with 8rd kimber mags. The 7rd doesn't seem to have that problem as often.

It strips the round, goes up the feedramp and will get jammed with the nose in the top part of the chamber. Sometimes all the way off the mag and then the bullets is somehow stuck pointing up into the chamber, sometimes it just goes up the feedramp and is still held by the mag feedlips.
Probably crappy mags try a wilson combat mag. could try disassembling mag and make sure the follower isnt sticking on a ledge somewhere near the top?

One thing to think about is that semi-auto pistols are basically control-round-feed like a mauser. As the slide goes forward, the magazine needs to release the round so that it slips under the extractor and is pushed into the chamber. That timing can be disrupted by a few different things, the magazines being the most common culprit.

Don't think in terms of age with respect to a magazine spring. Instead consider spring strength.

Your gun is telling you that there is a problem with feeding/timing. Could be a few things.

1) The magazine spring may not be strong enough to push the last round as the spring extends and may even be marginally strong enough to push the rounds that are feeding.

Trying other mags is certainly a viable step however replacing your mag spring with a stiffer one is more likely to have success as there is no guarantee another mag spring is strong enough either. Though for most people, other mags are usually easier to try vs ordering an additional spring.

2) In addition to mag springs, the recoil spring strength can play a factor especially when combined with a particular ammo type.

3) Finally, the ammo type whether JHP, FMJ, or SWC can play a factor as the all feed slightly differently.

The thing is, the round does get stripped but then hits the top of the chamber and jams as the slide pushes forward. I noticed this happening a lot when my son shot it...maybe a little bit of limpwristing happening too lol. But it did happen to me once or twice too.

I shoot the steelcase tulammo and used to have 0 problems. The winchester whitebox somehow always had feeding problems.

What does the breach face look like? Inside of the barrel hood?
They need to be SMOOTH so the round glides up into battery, especially as the spring pressure is at it's lowest on the last round!

Could be a mag/spring issue, could be it doesn't like the specific ammo............

Little update. I cleaned the mags, polished the follower and feedlips. I also did some more polishing on the feedramps and in the chamber. I also lightly polished the breech face. Shot a couple of mags and didn't experience the issue again. Maybe it was just too rough or dirt in the mags...

I see this a lot and have worked on quite a few 1911's with this issue. I would look at a lot of things already mentioned in this thread. Ammo, magazine, feed ramps, chamber, breech face, firing pin hole, extractor, these are all things that can affect the feeding. If you want to set up a time to bring it in or have more questions then shoot me a PM

I don't have the opportunity to try different mags yet. Also, I don't think that the springs are worn out, they are really not that old.
A thought: Chip McCormick is advertising their "Railed Power Mag" in which the feed lips are doubled in thickness by folding them over. The radius created by that fold means no sharp edges contacting cartridge case or finger. Pricy, but they are 5-stars on McCormick's site.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top