JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I called ruger, they're sending a new ejector. In the mean time I swapped the ejector from the sr9 magwell to the glock magwell. I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow for my first shots.

Mine is on it's way back to the mothership. Should be there tomorrow. Hopefully, they we'll be able correct the stovepipe issues I was having. We shall see....

Do tell?? I looked back and couldn't find you mentioning this anywhere 'till now?

I had about 300rds thru it. Ran a speed steel match with it a few months back at Albany and it ran flawless. I then offered to let one of my squad buddies shoot it the following month at our speed Steel match at TCGC and he had a couple issues with it. I don't recall what they were as I was not standing there when they happened.

I then took it out sometime later and started to get stovepipes every 1-2 rounds out of 50rds. I tried 3 different brands of ammo, factory Glock mags, Magpul mags, and finally the Factory Ruger mag.

Nothing changed, still stovepiping.
Decided I wasn't going to keep running ammo thru it and emailed Ruger and they said to send it in. I sat on it for a couple months and then called them for an RMA number. The tech asked some basic info and the arranged for UPS to pick it up from my apartment the next day.

I will give a little more detail on the conversation with the tech. when I have some free time as I on my way to work.

Besides the above issue, I really think it's a neat pistol caliber carbine. I will update when I get it back.

good luck on your remedy. My stovepipe issue was related to the floppy mags that would pivot forward & back with the bolt movement....

early on in my use, about before the 200 round mark; LGS smith fixed it with a few file strokes. Now at 1200 rounds with no complaints, other than my 9mm stash continues in some kind of rapid depletion mode....

This model has been the best performing Ruger-any-model of the 5 or 6 any-model Ruger I've purchased in the last decade.

Last Edited:
@Mikej have you considered a membership at Tri-County?

I was a member at JCGC for awhile. I was on the wait list at TCGC and when my name came up, I joined. Thought about staying at JCGC, but the amount I was paying there vs TCGC, there was just no value in staying, so I din not renew. Just my .02

@Mikej have you considered a membership at Tri-County?

I was a member at JCGC for awhile. I was on the wait list at TCGC and when my name came up, I joined. Thought about staying at JCGC, but the amount I was paying there vs TCGC, there was just no value in staying, so I din not renew. Just my .02

HO...I live in NE potland just South of the airport, four miles or so. No way I'd make that drive across this city of idiot, ignorant, rude drivers even if the membership was free! I do belong to JCGC. I can get there pretty easy if I don't go during peak idiot driver time. :D

Looking forward to read about your Ruger.

Now in Camo!

upload_2018-12-11_16-10-42.jpeg

Speaking of Factory, I should have PC Carbine back from Ruger next Monday. They had if for 2 days. Wondering what/if they did anything to it? We shall see.

I'll post up when I have a chance to get out to the range and test it.

So I got it back today. Here is what the paperwork said:

4E9E95B9-6337-40FB-B8B2-80F1C0A440D7.jpeg 01CE9433-27D6-47A0-97B5-A60954713DC0.jpeg

My 9mm supply was nearly depleted, but I managed to put 100rds of Sig Performance 115gr FMJ through it. I used a couple 12rd Magpul mags and a couple of Glock factory fun sticks. I loaded 10rds at a time in each mag and alternated between the Glock and Magpul. 50rds total, without red dot. Rinse and repeat, only the next 50rds with the red dot. 100% no issues.

Other than replacing the recoil spring, I'm not sure what thay did to repair it. I'd like to put another 100-200rds through it be for I give it a clean bill of heath. I doubt that the stove pipe's were coming from the empty casings bouncing off the optic and back into the ejection port but I guess anything is possible. I went ahead and made sure to mount the optic further back so it wasn't sitting directly over the ejection port.

I picked this up on a whim and I have a AR9 and a Stribog pistol to play with. As much as I want to throughly test it, i don't really have the motivation to do it. it's just not a priority for me right now. I think the Ruger PC Carbine is great traditional style rifle. If this would have came out a few years ago before I bought my AR9 to use in speed steel matches, I doubt that I would have ever considered an AR9.

I guess it wlll remain in purgatory till I decide if it has a roll to fill that can't be accomplished with my AR9 or Stribog. Now if Ruger or someone else made a custom competition stock for it then it would be a dandy little gun for speed steel. Even better is if Ruger made a charger version with a brace adaptor! Now that would make a killer PDW for home defense....:cool:

In closing, I still think it's a great gun with a lot of cool features but i just don't love it as much a thought I would (regardless of the issues I was having previously).

Last Edited:
Before I forget,

Other than replacing the recoil spring, I'm not sure what thay did to repair it.

Sometimes Ruger techs do stuff on warranty repairs that isn't enumerated on their paperwork. At least in my experience.

Okay, many thanks to all for the info in this thread. I've been mildly interested in the new version of the Ruger PC carbine. I like the take-down feature. I'd kinda decided not to buy one; I may yet change my mind.

Some years ago, I had the older Ruger PC4 carbine in .40 S&W. Handy, used Ruger proprietary pistol magazines. They offered two versions of rear sights on those. One was a little adjustable notch sight ahead of the receiver; the other was a ghost ring sight on the rear of the receiver. Of course mine had the notch sight and I preferred the ghost ring. My PC4 would shoot fine so long as I used jacketed bullets but I wanted to be able to shoot cast bullets as well. It would jam frequently shooting lead. So I sent it back to the factory; they fixed the lead bullet feeding problem under warranty. I paid them to convert it to a ghost ring sight.

My personal issue is that I don't find much utility in a carbine. Handguns are for short range; if I want to shoot seriously at a distance, I'll use a rifle. So handy and fun as centerfire carbines can be, I'm not their biggest fan. Same reason I own several M1 Rifles but no M1 Carbines. Just my preference. I've had my carbine-spraying days in the past but I'm no longer there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top