JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 521571 Well I took the Ruger out for a test run. Wow, what a kick in the pants it is to shoot. The only range open was the 200 yard with steel plates but it didn't matter too much as I just wanted to say I shot it. Ran through a couple hundred rounds out of Glock and Magpul mags with not one problem. I have a Vortex Crossfire on order should be here this week but I did enjoy it with just the iron sights. Actually I was very close to the 200 yard steel but I had to put the front post covering the target so I didn't hit it just all around it. The range officer was amazed. I'm thinking this would be a great home defense gun. No overpenetration with the 9mm, it's a rifle/carbine so more accuracy than a pistol. Just a thought. I'm super glad I have one. Ruger definitely is on the mark with this one.
View attachment 521572

To come close, with open sights, at 200Yds speaks well of both the rifle and the shooter. Mine quickly became the best money I ever spent. They can sure burn through a case of ammo fast :)
As for home use, yes, they will make a great tool for that. Put a little light / Laser combo on mine for just this reason. With +P 124 ammo you are getting the same performance as a .357 with a 4 inch tube. That is impressive.
BTW, I ordered a couple of the cases Reno911 mentioned off Amazon. They seem to be a direct knock off of the one Ruger sells for the takedown .22. If you don't want to use all the spacers on the stock they do work great for the 9mm carbine too. I like the way it does not have the Ruger Logo on it too. That way it does not stand out as "gun" when seen.

gunfreak: which direction is this range pointing, and what mountain is that in the distance, if you don't mind?

471251-bdc3f0c9cb0791808b56abc5a619e63f.jpg

^Looks like bogus. Blacks creek range would be my guess.

From all the comments, I guess this carbine is highly recommended but is it better than a ar9 carbine?

but is it better than a ar9 carbine?
'Better' is a matter of opinion and subjective.
Personally I don't care for the AR platform and welcomed this when it was first introduced and knew I would have one.
I guess if a manufacturer - and I mean a known name manufacturer - like Ruger - had a an AR in 9mm I MIGHT have taken a look at it but without one being made by a known manufacturer I am less than interested. I have no desire to buy something from 'XXX Tactical' or any one of a number of non-mainstream manufacturers.
I briefly considered building and might have if I could have configured it with and A1/A2 style fixed stock and made it 'emulate' an A1 style AR.
No matter now and I really like my PCC.

From all the comments, I guess this carbine is highly recommended but is it better than a ar9 carbine?
I've owned or shot just about everything made for 9mm, rifle and carbine wise, and even a few in other calibers.

Ruger hit the nail squarely on the head with this one.

If this had been made years ago it would have saved me lots of buying and selling other options.

Is it the absolute best, I'd say it's pretty close. It definitely checks off a lot of boxes compared to other models.

Combined with the price. It's tealy hard to compete. The only other models I'd compare it to are at least twice as much.

I briefly owned a S2K - and I have to say I really liked the design and its accuracy - then I attempted to break it down for cleaning - and suddenly realized why KT did not recommend this. It was like a cheap toy on the inside and if one was not careful breakage of something was imminent. Overall they are cheap and I could foresee potential breakage of parts on the outside. Also the epoxied in barrel in the Gen 1 was less than desirable and would have needed the mod. Ruger simply fired a shot 'over the bow' of all the other mfgs. with the PCC.

If this had been made years ago it would have saved me lots of buying and selling other options.

Is it the absolute best, I'd say it's pretty close. It definitely checks off a lot of boxes compared to other models.

How so? Its just blowback like all the other 9mm carbines. What makes it better?

How so? Its just blowback like all the other 9mm carbines. What makes it better?
At the price you get a lot. Yes others do these as well, but are more expensive.

Heavy mass short travel bolt vs a longer travel lighter mass bolt. Lighter felt recoil. Scorpion does this too, but at nearly twice the cost.

Functional last round hold. Most do this as well but lots of AR platforms don't.

Break down capability. Not many do this or do it well.

Good iron sights.

Thread barrel.

Good materials used.

Good finishes used.

Easy take down.

Easy to clean.

Multiple magazine types can be used.

Probably stuff I'm missing.

Like I said it checks off a lot of boxes for roughly $500.

The cons list is far shorter in my eyes.

It's heavier than others.

It's a traditional rifle platform, IE Monte Carlo stock. Some may not see this as a con.

What's your pick?

At the price you get a lot. Yes others do these as well, but are more expensive.

Heavy mass short travel bolt vs a longer travel lighter mass bolt. Lighter felt recoil. Scorpion does this too, but at nearly twice the cost.

Functional last round hold. Most do this as well but lots of AR platforms don't.

Break down capability. Not many do this or do it well.

Good iron sights.

Thread barrel.

Good materials used.

Good finishes used.

Easy take down.

Easy to clean.

Multiple magazine types can be used.

Probably stuff I'm missing.

Like I said it checks off a lot of boxes for roughly $500.

The cons list is far shorter in my eyes.

It's heavier than others.

It's a traditional rifle platform, IE Monte Carlo stock. Some may not see this as a con.

What's your pick?

Thanks for the breakdown. I don't have a top pick at the moment. The Ruger PCC is high on my list for all the points you mentioned.

My major personal CON is the monte Carlo stock, but my wife would prefer it, and less conspicuous.

I would like a scorpion, but I want something that takes glock or hk mags.

I will probably end up building a very small AR style.

Last Edited:
My major personal CON is the monte Carlo stock,
At the rate these are selling I don't think the stock is a 'con' for too many. I suspect the stock was probably a big 'chance' Ruger took - and its paying off well.
My biggest complaint is Ruger did not make the front sight mount a 'ramped' style with a dovetail for ease of changing sights but I am working on this detail. On the flip side I wish Williams made a receiver sight that mounted in a rail but they do not. I have an idea for this also.

Last Edited:
At the rate these are selling I don't think the stock is a 'con' for too many. I suspect the stock was probably a big 'chance' Ruger took - and its paying off well.
My biggest complaint is Ruger did not make the front sight mount a 'ramped' style with a dovetail for ease of changing sights but I am working on this detail. On the flip side I wish Williams made a receiver sight that mounted in a rail but they do not. I have an idea for this also.

Yeah I am wierd. Traditional stocks are fairly uncomfortable for me. Steeper the grip angle the better. I am sure the magpul stock will be very comfortable.

I also agree on the sights. I would prefer the same style as the tech sights on a 10/22.

Don't forget the best feature of them all...

After the bolt holds open and you insert a new magazine, pull bolt back 1/16" and let it fly home!

As Reno mentioned better is VERY in the eye of the user. I have been a PCC fan big time for many decades. Used to be you had little to go with and I had many. After the market started to explode I too wish Ruger had put this out earlier. I would not have bothered with several PCC's I bought. I LOVE the takedown. I have a few others that take down but they are not nearly as easy or as good for it as the Ruger. Love the trigger, done very well. There are a few things I would like to see as options and I suspect the way these are selling the market will fill those needs soon enough. It took a long time for the factory to catch up with the demand. Then as also mentioned is the price. They are amazingly well made for the price point. These are certainly not going to do it for everyone but they still sell like hot cakes after all this time. Ruger really did a lot of things right with this. Now the after market will start to fill the want lists :)

I love the sights although I have a Vortex red dot coming, trigger and just about everything else. I don't foresee changing anything on it but as said a Magpul stock may change my mind as I have replaced my Rem 700 and 10-22 with them and they are not only comfortable but have shown significant accuracy as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top