JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Remember shot show is just around the corner.

I imagine there will be lots of products dropping for this gun.

Thanks for the breakdown. I don't have a top pick at the moment. The Ruger PCC is high on my list for all the points you mentioned.

My major personal CON is the monte Carlo stock, but my wife would prefer it, and less conspicuous.

I would like a scorpion, but I want something that takes glock or hk mags.

I will probably end up building a very small AR style.
The Extar EP9 is an amazing little AR15 based 9mm at $400. My cons was it's a plastic fantastic. Stupid light though, and surprisingly not horrible on recoil.

Another inexpensive factory gun is the Freedom Ordnance FX9. It's really well made and sells around the $500-$600 range. Proprietary charging handle, and it's not exactly AR but it takes many AR components.

There was a killer deal on Primary Arms for a Foxtrot Mike AR9 pistol that had lots of boxes checked off. I'm hoping to get my hands on one to see how it compares. But at $500 it looked very promising.

At the price you get a lot. Yes others do these as well, but are more expensive.

Heavy mass short travel bolt vs a longer travel lighter mass bolt. Lighter felt recoil. Scorpion does this too, but at nearly twice the cost.

Functional last round hold. Most do this as well but lots of AR platforms don't.

Break down capability. Not many do this or do it well.

Good iron sights.

Thread barrel.

Good materials used.

Good finishes used.

Easy take down.

Easy to clean.

Multiple magazine types can be used.

Probably stuff I'm missing.

Like I said it checks off a lot of boxes for roughly $500.

The cons list is far shorter in my eyes.

It's heavier than others.

It's a traditional rifle platform, IE Monte Carlo stock. Some may not see this as a con.

What's your pick?

Man you're making this sound good. Negatives, any more negatives? Looking at the models at Sportsman's I see one that has two different length of pulls shown? I've been wanting Wifey to get more into rifle and something like this could be something she'd dig shooting. She got into the scoped AR at rest shooting out to 50 yards last week. Something like this would be real nice. And, the ammo is easy to produce right here at home.

Tandem Kross released a few products for this gun over the weekend. I'd expect a lot more to come from them. Check it out...

Ruger® PC Carbine™ Accessories | TANDEMKROSS
I really like their triggers. I'm thinking that may end up on mine.

I'm waiting for something like this to come to light. So far it's just some guy putting them together via an instagram page. Notice the rear sight mount.

upload_2018-11-26_9-22-56.jpeg

Man you're making this sound good. Negatives, any more negatives? Looking at the models at Sportsman's I see one that has two different length of pulls shown? I've been wanting Wifey to get more into rifle and something like this could be something she'd dig shooting. She got into the scoped AR at rest shooting out to 50 yards last week. Something like this would be real nice. And, the ammo is easy to produce right here at home.
Have you shot one yet Mike?

I tried Reno's at a recent cleanup and was thoroughly impressed. A friend of mine also has one and have shot it a few times. I think this rifle would be a great rifle for the gals.

Nope. Not really. If anything, I'll call these petty cons. The mag release has to be operated with your second hand as you grab and pull the magazine. Some may not like this. You could always switch it to the left side and your index finger might be long enough to get it on that side like an AR mag release. The charging handle reciprocates, some don't like this.

Have you shot one yet Mike?

I tried Reno's at a recent cleanup and was thoroughly impressed. A friend of mine also has one and have shot it a few times. I think this rifle would be a great rifle for the gals.

Being relatively new to firearms I don't know what I don't like. I get used to what I don't know. I/Wifey would get used to it. Make any sense? I've been somewhat interested in these PC carbines. After a discussion here about some other make PC carbine I saw one used at Kieth's that was older with a wood stock. Don't recall what it was, but I liked it.

Nope. Not really. If anything, I'll call these petty cons. The mag release has to be operated with your second hand as you grab and pull the magazine. Some may not like this. You could always switch it to the left side and your index finger might be long enough to get it on that side like an AR mag release. The charging handle reciprocates, some don't like this.

That's exactly the kind of "cons" I'm talking about. About the charging handle? Do you mean reciprocates like other semi autos rifles? Ruger 10/22, AK 47, Thompson sub machine gun :D etc......No worries. Only thing I would like is a wood stock on it.

How's the trigger on it? After market triggers? I know the 10/22 has a butt-load of after market, but I/we really aren't into .22 so much.

Maybe we'll swing by Sportsman's today and see if they have on on the rack to fondle.

Being relatively new to firearms I don't know what I don't like. I get used to what I don't know. I/Wifey would get used to it. Make any sense? I've been somewhat interested in these PC carbines. After a discussion here about some other make PC carbine I saw one used at Kieth's that was older with a wood stock. Don't recall what it was, but I liked it.

That's exactly the kind of "cons" I'm talking about. About the charging handle? Do you mean reciprocates like other semi autos rifles? Ruger 10/22, AK 47, Thompson sub machine gun :D etc......No worries. Only thing I would like is a wood stock on it.

How's the trigger on it? After market triggers? I know the 10/22 has a butt-load of after market, but I/we really aren't into .22 so much.

Maybe we'll swing by Sportsman's today and see if they have on on the rack to fondle.
Ya the charging handle moves like an AKs. It is swapable from the right or left side. Aftermarket handles are available too.

The trigger is actually really nice. I'm almost certain it's based closely off the 10/22 but ruger confirmed they are not entirely the same. The picture I linked above is a of a guys that he swapped the trigger shoe itself with a Ruger 10/22 shoe from Volquartsen, so some parts are the same.

Another minor annoyance is the Ruger doesn't have a bolt release. You have to manually grab the charging handle and pull it back slightly after a fresh magazine is inserted and let it go home.

You have to manually grab the charging handle and pull it back slightly after a fresh magazine is inserted and let it go home.

See, that's what I'm talking about when I say I don't know what I don't like! :D I don't think that would bother me at all. After all, we have semi auto pistols you have to pull the slide back, SR9C comes to mind. And I don't always drop the slide with the slide lock on my 1911, or CZ 75.

Wifey and I need to go pay the club dues an Johnson Creek. We'll pop into Sportsman's and see if the have on on the rack.

Went into Sportsman's and stood there at the counter being ignored for 7 minutes or so. Two other counter folks came out, walked by us, STANDING WITH OUR BELLIES AGAINST THE COUNTER, and went down a ways to join in on a seemingly endless conversation. I'll get a look at the rifle some where else. And have Kieth's order it for me if I decide to get one.

Thanks for the inputs guys!

See, that's what I'm talking about when I say I don't know what I don't like! :D I don't think that would bother me at all. After all, we have semi auto pistols you have to pull the slide back, SR9C comes to mind. And I don't always drop the slide with the slide lock on my 1911, or CZ 75.

Wifey and I need to go pay the club dues an Johnson Creek. We'll pop into Sportsman's and see if the have on on the rack.

I've gotten pretty petty these days. It's a perfectionist problem. Even my favorite has quirks that I feel could be improved on. I've also owned and shot a figuratively bubblegum ton of firearms.

Went into Sportsman's and stood there at the counter being ignored for 7 minutes or so. Two other counter folks came out, walked by us, STANDING WITH OUR BELLIES AGAINST THE COUNTER, and went down a ways to join in on a seemingly endless conversation. I'll get a look at the rifle some where else. And have Kieth's order it for me if I decide to get one.

Thanks for the inputs guys!

This pisses me off more than anything. I'd have said something up front on my way out. I forget the new hunting manager at this location, but he used to be an associate at the one on 185th. I'm also forgetting the new store manager for the 82nd store, maybe @Cogs can fill us in. A complaint always gets the manager in overdrive. Especially if you state that social media is involved.

To be fair, I think context may be key here. Typically people who don't like them speak of them when mentioning specific rifles, like the SCAR-17. Location of it and all that.

Yes context is key.

Guns like this one it isn't that big of a deal breaker, but on guns like the Grand Power Stribog, it totally sucks. Since you can't hold the forward section of the gun worth a damn without the possibility of dislodging your thumb.

Does this glock magwell look right?

When I Tried installing it, the steel tab at the back was too tall. I tried everything I could think of before I coming to the conclusion that this thing is out of spec. 15434362965072879834873346748421.jpg

I'm fairly certain it's bad. That black steel tab at the rear doesn't have the appropriate bend to allow clearance for the bolt.

Looking at this picture, there is clearly an abrupt curve on both magwell. Mine stands almost straight up. Ruger-pistol-caliber-carbine-pcc-survival-gun-review-rifle-hunting-defense-9mm-5.jpg Ruger-pistol-caliber-carbine-pcc-survival-gun-review-rifle-hunting-defense-9mm-5.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top