JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been toying with the idea of rebarreling my RAR's action with something heavier profiled.... may not be worth it over just getting a higher end rifle.

Well lets get you to the range. Let me know when your available and you can shoot the Tikka. It still amazes me how smooth the action is on those things. It was the best money that @Ura-Ki ever talked me into spending! LOL

I think someone would be hard pressed to name a better or even equal production rifle in the same price range as the Tikka T3 line.
I don't have any firsthand experience with them, but I've heard the T/C Compass is a good entry level rifle for the money.

I don't think it compares to the Tikka, but might be a good alternative to the Ruger American.

You DO mean that it's in 6.5x55SE, right?

tac
Am I responding to the half genius or half wit? :rolleyes:
I guess it makes no difference. ;)
You are right, specifically; Tikka T3X forest in 6.55 X 55 SE.
(caliber wise, AKA Swede, Swedish)
I pre ordered it January, received it in May of 2017 with much delight.:)
However that particular caliber is no longer listed standard for the wood stocked Forest for some reason but is for the Hunter sans cheek rest and I assume others in plastic too.

Initial strip and clean left me wanting as I tightened the plastic trigger guard to normal specs (about 35) causing the plastic to irreversibly compress allowing the screws to touch the bolt. Enlarging the holes and imbedding of a couple thin quality washers along with some epoxy provided a base solid enough and through the guard, to resolve the issue without modifying the screws. Contact with the factory confirmed the lighter squish required with apologies for the ambiguity stating that due to the newness of the product, information had not caught up with real life issues found.
As long as it was on them and not me I could accept that.:p
All in all, I found it to be a minor issue (for me) and non sequitur when viewed during overall quality discussions.

Semantics in my realm.
While the SE designation was/is an intention (maybe by Norma? I've forgotten) to indicate a potential for ammo so labeled not to be used in older Carl Gustafs Stads Mauser and the like, It has yet to be adopted by SAAMI as such.
Currently ubiquitously accepted vernaculars (including the now disappearing heritage of Sweden itself) referring to the "Swede" Mean 6.5 X 55 caliber and especially so when the manufacturer has been noted since no other caliber has previously been referenced as such. Hence my Tikka T3 Swede reference was made as an obvious abbreviation and not to confuse or piss off Swedish gun owners. My dad was full blooded Swede and our family traces back to 1730 with pictures to 1880's so I have a connection and interest in Swedish things.

6.5 X 55 SE, 6.5 X 55 Swede, and 6.5 X 55 Swedish, and just plain 6.5 X 55 are all the same caliber and as yet have no accepted international or SAAMI, dimensional or pressure rating difference.
I've owned Carl's fine 1896 Mauser, that experience, along with relatives from my ancestral hinterland is how I came about the purchase of the Tikka in that caliber. (Physical age related issues also played a large part)
Nonetheless, my apologies to you sir if you felt put upon by my abbreviation and elation over my relatively new toy.

As an aside; My other half is full Irish. Growing up I received much joking about my heritage from both sides of that isle and even more from my Norwegian friends. Jokes and ribbings by todays standards of PC and such that some would want to believe are cruel or even criminal. Really People? It was not only received but given in good fun. I never felt any anger, bitterness or threatened over any of it.
Too many oversensitive, insecure whiners in this world sucking all the fun out of life!

My father was Irish, but MY Swedish roots go back to around 900AD, when my ancestor, Flárúp the Daft, waded ashore with his harmonium and pet otter to investigate the new world of SE Ireland, doing a bit of slaughter and plundering as he did so. The family name Foley is a modern adaptation of fóghláda - OI for plunder/raider. My genetic make-up is 78-82% SE Scandinavian/Finno-Ugrian.

As an aside, I've used EVERYBODY's 6.5x55 ammunition in my 1896 m/96. It all seems to work just fine, with no signs of high pressure. Velocities vary between 2345fps [PPU] to 2445fps [Norma] and RWS at 2550fps. What I am NOT pretending is that my 120-y/o rifle is modern, blow that-deer-into-the-next state kaboomer.

All I'm trying to kill is the little X in the middle of the paper.

tac aka Flarp the bathtub farper.

I don't have any firsthand experience with them, but I've heard the T/C Compass is a good entry level rifle for the money.

I don't think it compares to the Tikka, but might be a good alternative to the Ruger American.
My TC Compass has left a little to be desired. It's not a bad gun by any means. The action took some time working it to loosen and smooth up, I installed a lighter trigger spring (factory claims of adjustability are a Lillie optimistic), and with the lightweight barrel I have to wait a minute between shots or poi will shift. It is a sub moa rifle out of the box for sure, just not refined. Also, with a muzzle brake on the front it sure tamed the pounding of my shoulder from the high recoiling 22-250, LOL!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top