JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for my first hunting rifle for the upcoming hunting season this year and I was wondering if you guys would think that the above was a good deal? Or should I save up my money and get a tikka in 308? I've got a leupold scope that I'll be throwing on already just trying to find a good stainless steel rifle right now!

You can't go wrong either way.

Do you think the I should just get the tikka for $200 more? I've spoken with a few people and the consensus is that the tikka is superior in almost every form but the american would still get the job done. Since I haven't owned a rifle I'm not sure whether or not the improved quality is worth the $$$

If you can afford the Tikka you won't be disappointed but if you just want a hunting gun you won't mind a ding or 3 in then just about anything will work.

30-06 is a better elk round then .308 though imo

Hard to go wrong with the Ruger American in 30-06. I have the Predator version in .308, and I really enjoy shooting and hunting with it. Bolt, stock and finish are a bit rougher though.
The Tika is a very nice rifle. Better stock and finish.
Both will hold up and do the job. Tika will do it with a bit more style, but you will cry a bit at the end of the season from the dings and scrapes which will accumulate on a nice rifle which is hunted hard.

And I almost forgot the trigger.

I have experience with Weatherby, Vanguard, Winchester, Remington, Tikka, and Ruger rifles. The Tikka trigger is hands down the best factory trigger I have ever used. The Weatherby is second, but waaaay back. Like Secretariat back.

Light, crisp, clean.

P

Rifles are sorta like women (probably get blasted for that remark) and not in a sexist tone. It's just what suits you, taking into consideration all the things that are specifically important to you. I've owned a large number of rifles over the years and still have a pile. The one I shoot best right now is a Ruger American in 308. Second and real close is a CZ 550 Premium in 270 Winchester. You just gotta fit with the thing and it works.

Here is my perspective: I look for animals a lot more than I shoot at them. My glass and boots are worth every penny I can afford until I reach a point of diminishing returns.

Then I worry about the rifle. If I can afford a Tikka, I'd choose it 100 times out of a 100. To me, spending more than $750 on a rifle doesn't get you a true advantage unless you shoot 400+ yards all of the time. I dont think there is a factory rifle that will perform better at that price point than a T3x.

If I can't afford a Tikka, I'd likely try to get a deal on a used but not trashed M700. I'm not sure I'd buy a current 700 ADL, but an older rifle is the small block V8 of rifles. Perfectly serviceable now, a semi custom later.

FYI have a close look at the Ruger side by side with the Tikka, you might just swear the Ruger is a copy of the T3! I can't swear it's a dead ringer, I have no proof, but they sure look the same! I will also add this, both Sako and Ruger build THE best of the best factory barrels out there ( Savage also) and you will never find a Remington 700 any thing or Weatherby/Howa that will ever match those three! For the money on a first rifle, I would go Ruger, if your serious about things and want to take things to the next level, Tikka! If got money to burn, Sako!!!
@SKrueger can tell you how good Tikka are, and I have two and my wife has one, I traded off my Sako Finnlight for a T3 SuperVarmint .30/06 and never regretted it!

In my opinion you can NEVER go wrong with Tikka! Its not just the barrel. You will not find a smoother action for the money and they are a joy to shoot. If you want to do more than hunting then with out a doubt go Tikka.

IMG_0712.JPG

This was my last four shot group at 300 yds. This Rifle will out shoot me any day and twice on Sunday. Best money I ever spent.

If you can afford the Tikka you won't be disappointed but if you just want a hunting gun you won't mind a ding or 3 in then just about anything will work.

30-06 is a better elk round then .308 though imo
The only difference between an 06 and 308 is a few (very few) feet in range. The other difference is the 308 is available in a handy short action and ammo is more available.....though 06 is readily available to. Tikas are very cool, I would look at the Thompson Center Bolt rifle too. They are like 250.00 right now, as accurate as a Tika and you can change barrels to a different caliber yourself if you like.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews