JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for my first hunting rifle for the upcoming hunting season this year and I was wondering if you guys would think that the above was a good deal? Or should I save up my money and get a tikka in 308? I've got a leupold scope that I'll be throwing on already just trying to find a good stainless steel rifle right now!

You can't go wrong either way.

Do you think the I should just get the tikka for $200 more? I've spoken with a few people and the consensus is that the tikka is superior in almost every form but the american would still get the job done. Since I haven't owned a rifle I'm not sure whether or not the improved quality is worth the $$$

If you can afford the Tikka you won't be disappointed but if you just want a hunting gun you won't mind a ding or 3 in then just about anything will work.

30-06 is a better elk round then .308 though imo

Hard to go wrong with the Ruger American in 30-06. I have the Predator version in .308, and I really enjoy shooting and hunting with it. Bolt, stock and finish are a bit rougher though.
The Tika is a very nice rifle. Better stock and finish.
Both will hold up and do the job. Tika will do it with a bit more style, but you will cry a bit at the end of the season from the dings and scrapes which will accumulate on a nice rifle which is hunted hard.

And I almost forgot the trigger.

I have experience with Weatherby, Vanguard, Winchester, Remington, Tikka, and Ruger rifles. The Tikka trigger is hands down the best factory trigger I have ever used. The Weatherby is second, but waaaay back. Like Secretariat back.

Light, crisp, clean.

P

Rifles are sorta like women (probably get blasted for that remark) and not in a sexist tone. It's just what suits you, taking into consideration all the things that are specifically important to you. I've owned a large number of rifles over the years and still have a pile. The one I shoot best right now is a Ruger American in 308. Second and real close is a CZ 550 Premium in 270 Winchester. You just gotta fit with the thing and it works.

Here is my perspective: I look for animals a lot more than I shoot at them. My glass and boots are worth every penny I can afford until I reach a point of diminishing returns.

Then I worry about the rifle. If I can afford a Tikka, I'd choose it 100 times out of a 100. To me, spending more than $750 on a rifle doesn't get you a true advantage unless you shoot 400+ yards all of the time. I dont think there is a factory rifle that will perform better at that price point than a T3x.

If I can't afford a Tikka, I'd likely try to get a deal on a used but not trashed M700. I'm not sure I'd buy a current 700 ADL, but an older rifle is the small block V8 of rifles. Perfectly serviceable now, a semi custom later.

FYI have a close look at the Ruger side by side with the Tikka, you might just swear the Ruger is a copy of the T3! I can't swear it's a dead ringer, I have no proof, but they sure look the same! I will also add this, both Sako and Ruger build THE best of the best factory barrels out there ( Savage also) and you will never find a Remington 700 any thing or Weatherby/Howa that will ever match those three! For the money on a first rifle, I would go Ruger, if your serious about things and want to take things to the next level, Tikka! If got money to burn, Sako!!!
@SKrueger can tell you how good Tikka are, and I have two and my wife has one, I traded off my Sako Finnlight for a T3 SuperVarmint .30/06 and never regretted it!

In my opinion you can NEVER go wrong with Tikka! Its not just the barrel. You will not find a smoother action for the money and they are a joy to shoot. If you want to do more than hunting then with out a doubt go Tikka.

IMG_0712.JPG

This was my last four shot group at 300 yds. This Rifle will out shoot me any day and twice on Sunday. Best money I ever spent.

If you can afford the Tikka you won't be disappointed but if you just want a hunting gun you won't mind a ding or 3 in then just about anything will work.

30-06 is a better elk round then .308 though imo
The only difference between an 06 and 308 is a few (very few) feet in range. The other difference is the 308 is available in a handy short action and ammo is more available.....though 06 is readily available to. Tikas are very cool, I would look at the Thompson Center Bolt rifle too. They are like 250.00 right now, as accurate as a Tika and you can change barrels to a different caliber yourself if you like.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top