JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Too bad Tikka doesn't make hunting rifles with threaded barrels.

Do you not consider this a hunting rifle?

IMG_0435 (1).JPG

The only difference between an 06 and 308 is a few (very few) feet in range. The other difference is the 308 is available in a handy short action and ammo is more available.....though 06 is readily available to.

The 308 doesn't do 180gr or 200gr bullets very well, which is where I like to be on elk for the ability to penetrate. Range isnt a factor since most of my shots are under 100 yards.

Nothing is more commercially available at any store than 30-06 and 270. You may be able to buy big battle packs of 7.62x51 online, but if you walk into a store that sells hunting ammo, 30-06 and 270 are king.

All joking aside, I highly recommend Tikka. Especially if you ever plan on putting an after-market stock on it. Lots of after market support for them. They shoot lights out and their actions are buttery smooth.

All you gotta do is buy a license and an orange vest, load that up and walk around sneaky like and....BAM! Hunting Rifle!

Kinda my point. I would remove the bi-pod, solar shade and add a sling but yes. And best of all, it isn't that heavy unless your a snowflake and then I'm sure you wouldn't be hunting anyway! :D

Kinda my point. I would remove the bi-pod, solar shade and add a sling but yes. And best of all, it isn't that heavy unless your a snowflake and then I'm sure you wouldn't be hunting anyway! :D

It cracks me to see people complain about heavy rifles that weigh 8 pounds, and the need to have sub-7 pound rifles.....but are easily 20 to 30 pounds overweight.

CDNN has Thompson Center Compass rifles right now for 250.00. The NRA article rated them very high for accuracy and overall design/quality build. Interchangeable barrels are cheep as well. Looks like a fun platform to me and as a member of the Smith & Wesson group, they have excellent customer service.

I already mentioned the CTR. It's cost prohibitive in this case, extremely limited in caliber options, only short action, and marketed as a compact tactical rifle. So, no. I don't.

*you're. Never said it was too heavy. Ignoring my criticisms, and ad hominem. I'm done.

I apologize that you took it as directed at you. It was not intended that way in the slightest. I think we are all grown men here and can see when members being sarcastic and having fun. I was not ignoring your criticisms. The Tikka is not the be all end all but IMHO it is damn close when your talking a great rifle.

Again I apologize.

The 308 doesn't do 180gr or 200gr bullets very well, which is where I like to be on elk for the ability to penetrate. Range isnt a factor since most of my shots are under 100 yards.

Nothing is more commercially available at any store than 30-06 and 270. You may be able to buy big battle packs of 7.62x51 online, but if you walk into a store that sells hunting ammo, 30-06 and 270 are king.
We shot an elk one year with a 308 from a high angle. The bullet turned and went the entire length of the body taking out most of the steaks in the process. When have you had penetration problems with a 308? There are more problems with bullet fragmentation with lightly constructed bullets than penetration. I load a 170 grain flat point (30-30) bullet in 308 brass for my Valmet 2400 at moderate velocities just to insure clean one shot kills at under 200 yards. It is my backup rifle in case my primary gun has a problem. I have shot a fair amount of game with it since purchased in 1976 and not one ever took a step. In new rifles, 308 has outsold 06 for decades and more/different types of ammo are more available for it these days.

We shot an elk one year with a 308 from a high angle. The bullet turned and went the entire length of the body taking out most of the steaks in the process. When have you had penetration problems with a 308? There are more problems with bullet fragmentation with lightly constructed bullets than penetration. I load a 170 grain flat point (30-30) bullet in 308 brass for my Valmet 2400 at moderate velocities just to insure clean one shot kills at under 200 yards. It is my backup rifle in case my primary gun has a problem. I have shot a fair amount of game with it since purchased in 1976 and not one ever took a step. In new rifles, 308 has outsold 06 for decades and more/different types of ammo are more available for it these days.

If more hunting rifles were sold in 308, Federal wouldn't offer more HUNTING SPECIFIC loads in 30-06 than all 308 loads combined. If some told you, "hey, buy this and it will be almost as good as this!" Would you get excited about it?

I've shot a bunch of stuff with the 308, 30-06, and a few with 30 caliber magnums. Every animal reacts differently to a hit, except to the brain. Sectional density across the .308 caliber spectrum is based on weight since the diameter is the same. More weight going in the same hole will penetrate better.

In the timber, a 22 inch barreled 30-06 will break the off shoulder. Its only 2/3 of an inch longer than the same rifle in .308 Win and less than 2 oz heaver. But, it buys me nearly 300 fps with 180gr bullets. I get an honest 2875 fps with a 180gr partition. I couldnt break 2600 out of my 308 and keep it short enough to fit in the magazine.

Last Edited:
^^^THIS^^^
For a 1 gun battery that can do every thing for a real rifleman, the .30/06 is, and always has been king! :)
For game species specifics when the hunts get sporty, the others ( usually bigger, faster) get the nod, like .338 Winchester, arguably the all round best Elk caliber there is, and pretty darn nice on Bear, or 7mm mag when you really need to buck the wind and weather at extended ranges! .308 has its place, and that place is usually below Elk, unless you are an exceptional rifleman and can consistantly place your bullets in the exact spot needed for a clean and humane kill! ELK deserve a big deal driving bullet, and .308 just dosnt deliver the goods when the hunt gets tough! This is also where I have issues with .300 win mag, if an Aught Six can't do it, you need a bigger, heavier, deeper driving bullet, that's where the .338 win mag comes in! :)
And if the .338 can't do it, there is always the .375 Holland & Holland! :D:D:D

I love this discussion. Have you ever looked at the difference between long and short action in terms of overall length and weight?
Half an inch and maybe four ounces. Some people find the difference significant. I don't.

P

Especially on Tikkas! :D The 308 would be marginally lly heavier than the 30-06 because the magazine would have more plastic in it.​

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for my first hunting rifle for the upcoming hunting season this year and I was wondering if you guys would think that the above was a good deal? Or should I save up my money and get a tikka in 308? I've got a leupold scope that I'll be throwing on already just trying to find a good stainless steel rifle right now!
Having a RA in 308 and a Tikka t3 in 30/06, I can tell you that either one would be a good choice. The weights are about the same and the accuracy is mostly up to you. As for that price, my ruger 308 was just under 400 but its not SS. I'll note I got the Timmney trigger for the Ruger before even shooting it. Trigger safeties drive me nuts:D. Good luck, you'll' like either one.

How incrementally shorter? The distance from pin to primer would be identical. There would be maybe the slightest difference if the striker spring was the same weight, considering the pin would be slightly heavier. Thats abouts as much of a gnats azz difference as you could come up with.
I think he is referring to the bolt throw cause all tikkas have the same long action. However they have a short action bolt stop so it is going to be the same.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top