JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I won this rifle at a firearm auction site and although It's a bit worn and scuffed on the outside the internals are newish. This is my first AR and I paid $600 for it.

I'll be breaking it down this coming weekend to clean it and then take it out to ensure it's zeroed properly.

Do you think I got a good deal? Is there anything you'd recommend I do or purchase for it?

Thanks!

20211001_170206-01.jpeg

If it has some history to it, IE police use, Id say it was a decent deal at $600. I'll be honest it totally looks funny to me from the delta ring forward. It's as if this department said, "Make us a M16/M4 hybrid."

Stuff to buy…

Ammo, mags, sling, maybe trigger.

Thanks for the feedback Reno.

I was gifted some mags and ammo after the purchase (thanks @kbf64 !) and will probably pick up a Vickers sling for it.

I don't know much about ARs so glad to hear it was a decent deal.

For what its worth...
I prefer the A2 stock with a Carbine length barrel.
Never did like the CAR15 / M4 style stocks that we used in the Army.

As far as a "To Do List"...
Clean it , Zero it , shoot it...I'd go with a M1 style sling...But that's just me.

Nice Carbine you got there.
Andy

You are into it $600 and said you won it? How many raffle tickets were sold and how much each?? LOL, I reall dig the retro look and wouldn't change a thing if it's a shooter.

You are into it $600 and said you won it? How many raffle tickets were sold and how much each?? LOL, I reall dig the retro look and wouldn't change a thing if it's a shooter.
I hope it was a good cause that benefited from sales of said raffle tickets.
I've had the idea to sell a gun or 2 raffle style, for funding the family scholarship account. I'd be pretty happy to get a thousand bucks out of a $700 gun.

I think that's a good price. Don't shy away from a little finish wear. When I first enlisted in 1996 my unit had old Vietnam era A1's. They were missing half of their finish but were mechanically sound and shot fine. If your vision is good then the iron sights are great too. If I still had youthful vision I would prefer iron sights.

A buddy of mine is building a retro AR. Except for the forend, yours looks a lot like his will, but for less than half the money. Seriously, get a replica old school forend for that gun. It will look way cooler.

A buddy of mine is building a retro AR. Except for the forend, yours looks a lot like his will, but for less than half the money. Seriously, get a replica old school forend for that gun. It will look way cooler.

Something like this?
Edit. Might require removing FSB and muzzle device and crush washer but that's easier than removing whole barrel out of receiver

I won this rifle at a firearm auction site and although It's a bit worn and scuffed on the outside the internals are newish. This is my first AR and I paid $600 for it.

I'll be breaking it down this coming weekend to clean it and then take it out to ensure it's zeroed properly.

Do you think I got a good deal? Is there anything you'd recommend I do or purchase for it?

Thanks!

View attachment 1044366
Did you win it or buy it? You state both in your opening.

Thanks!

View attachment 1044366
I think you got it at a decent price. Once you go thru the internals you will know better. All of our rifles were went thru by our certified armorers once a year and any worn parts were replaced. The rough look might be from being in the trunk or in a rack for it's life. Tge stock is nice if you like those. If you change it out you should get a decent price for it. You did good in my opinion.

I didn't see a brand or markings. Could be a good deal or a great deal. Changing too much kills the deal or benefit. Looks like you have a $600 rifle. Unless it's a top tier brand, no matter how much you change it will be a $600 rifle.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top