JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't see a brand or markings. Could be a good deal or a great deal. Changing too much kills the deal or benefit. Looks like you have a $600 rifle. Unless it's a top tier brand, no matter how much you change it will be a $600 rifle.
Rock River Arms (RRA) LAR-15 according to thread title. Decent carbines. Late 1990s-early 2000s given the A2 upper and the fixed stock... edit. Apparently its one of the 5,000+ RRA AR12393 models sold under contract to the DEA and LEO agencies from 2003ish onwards according to this https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...dea-fbi-marshals-contrac.cfm?gun_id=101013135

Last Edited:
Rock River Arms (RRA) LAR-15 according to thread title. Decent carbines. Late 1990s-early 2000s given the A2 upper and the fixed stock... edit. Apparently its one of the 5,000+ RRA AR12393 models sold under contract to the DEA and LEO agencies from 2003ish onwards according to this https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...dea-fbi-marshals-contrac.cfm?gun_id=101013135
So OP got a decent price and it's probably been reasonably well cared for. Very likely not a collectible but a good quality firearm.

Well done.

Missed it at the very beginning of the title 🙄. Yes, a very good deal then. I'd leave it as is and when ever possible say, oh, do you mean my Rock River Arms.

No, but how many factory 16" carbines are out there with the fixed stocks that aren't RRAs?
It's definitely unique but if it were mind I'd still put an old triangular forend on it and keep the old one for when I pass it on.

I'm going to have to write a bunch of stuff down or my heirs are going to have no idea what they're getting. :rolleyes: Containers labeled as upgraded parts but with the factory parts in them from when I installed the new stuff... Why this weird looking shotgun is worth real money...

A2 stock, A2 fixed carry handle upper OR the bog standard A3/A4/M4 flat top upper, 16" midlength gas barrel with FSB, matched barrel extension.... and get someone to 3d print a midlength A2 triangle handguard set with bosses for standard midlength heat shields.... OR if using M4/A3/A4 upper; the standard midlength round handguards.. and then add a copy of an Aimpoint sight, basically a carbine version of the USMC M16A4 :D or a retro A2 Carbine

Its kinda giving me ideas for a frankenAR lol
The rifle with the A2 stock is a hodgepodge of parts to make, what I consider, the perfect scoped AR. I went A2 so I would have consistent eye relief.

CBF21F19-40E8-4C35-BD35-F293BEAE88AF.jpeg

Thanks so much for the info guys.

I should have been a little more concise in my original post, but here is the original auction URL. The interesting thing about this rifle is that the A2 carry handle is fixed to the receiver. It's also a 16 inch barrel, so I'm not sure that A2 fore-end would fit this rifle?

A really cool feature, at least for me, is the restricted etching on the lower.

signal-2021-09-17-180227_copy.jpg

Again, this is my first AR but I'm a long time AK guy. I appreciate all of the feedback and I'll post an update once I'm able to disassemble, clean, and zero this coming weekend.

Cheers.

Thanks so much for the info guys.

I should have been a little more concise in my original post, but here is the original auction URL. The interesting thing about this rifle is that the A2 carry handle is fixed to the receiver. It's also a 16 inch barrel, so I'm not sure that A2 fore-end would fit this rifle?

A really cool feature, at least for me, is the restricted etching on the lower.

View attachment 1044727

Again, this is my first AR but I'm a long time AK guy. I appreciate all of the feedback and I'll post an update once I'm able to disassemble, clean, and zero this coming weekend.

Cheers.
There are "carbine length" triangle handguard sets available for the carbine length gas systems. The older A2 rifle handguards won't fit.

For what its worth...
I prefer the A2 stock with a Carbine length barrel.
Never did like the CAR15 / M4 style stocks that we used in the Army.

As far as a "To Do List"...
Clean it , Zero it , shoot it...I'd go with a M1 style sling...But that's just me.

Nice Carbine you got there.
Andy
When you say "CAR15 / M4 style stocks" I picture this...
AR15/ZM4 telescoping M4, Black buttstock Only assembly, Buffer tube kit not  included

Which I'm not a fan of, but something like and LMT SOPMOD stock different story...

LMT-LEWIS MACHINE CRANE SOPMOD BUTTSTOCK

I like the B5 Bravo even better...

B5 Systems BRAVO SOPMOD Collapsible Rifle Stock Black - AimSurplus, Llc.

I also prefer the A1 over the A2 when it comes to a full stock.

Something like this?
Edit. Might require removing FSB and muzzle device and crush washer but that's easier than removing whole barrel out of receiver
Depends on which handguard retainer is on there.
If it's a triangle retainer then it's an easy swap.

No can do.
It's got the integral carry handle looks like.

If the handle has that hole in it for such mounts...

I won this rifle at a firearm auction site and although It's a bit worn and scuffed on the outside the internals are newish. This is my first AR and I paid $600 for it.

I'll be breaking it down this coming weekend to clean it and then take it out to ensure it's zeroed properly.

Do you think I got a good deal? Is there anything you'd recommend I do or purchase for it?

Thanks!

View attachment 1044366
I would add a free float rail. I would also extend the space of the rail Like to have at least 14 inch rail for say a 16 inch barrel. I found in time I like to have more space to hold onto which will aid in a more pleasant shooting experience! A long free float rail will also give you far more options for mounting hardware to your gun I.E flash lights , foregrips , red dots, iron sights, magnifiers you may also look into getting a muzzle break or compensator. What you have is a perfect base model Rifle you may just want to keep it as is. You will find after a few shooting sessions small things you would like to change. Keep in mind you can change them or buy a more customizable gun. It is always good to have a basic model for new shooters or simply for simplicity! Best of luck congrats on the new Rifle!

If the handle has that hole in it for such mounts...
Gets the optic too high above the bore.
And looks silly.

My 2 cents

if it was mine, id go through the guts and make sure all is well in there. RRA is a major player and makes guns trusted by LE departments all across this land, but they dont necessarily do the best job putting em together. id make sure the bolt carrier gas key is tight and staked well, replace the bolt itself for something C158, pull that rifle stock off that carbine and put a carbine stock on it, polish the contacts on the FCG, and tune the buffer system - which involves shooting xm193 with different weight buffers till she "feels right," and the brass all lands in a nice pile 5' away between 2 and 3 oclock

you could also just do as others suggest and do no more than lube it and shoot it

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top