JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I took out my RPR today and had a chance to run it for the first time. Set up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Ran some cheap PMC Bronze as well as Hornady Black and another match grade ammo. About 60 rounds total. The range I went to requires a 25 yard "sight in" for new rifles.

So at 25 yards, I put two in the same hole about 1" above bullseye. Windage was perfect.

At 200 yards I missed the target altogether. We switch back to the 50/100 yard range. At 50 I'm at the very top of the paper. So a few more shots at 50 and 100 and I'm feeling lukewarm but we switch back to the 100/200/300 range.

From there, I was all over the place, including a 4" group at 100. Constant scope adjusting. Never did get anything better than minute of dinner plate. Had the friendly guy next to me shoot it, as he was shooting the same rifle in 6.5CM suppressed. He has the same results.

So just to make sure I wasn't having a seizure while behind the trigger, I shot @SKrueger 's Tikka. Managed to put two in the same hole at 300 about 1" to the right of center. Back to back. So I know it wasn't me. Not only that but I've successfully shot to 800 on a 2/3 silhouette with a .223 AR platform. I know how to shoot. I'm not the best, but I'm better than 4" groups at 100 yards with a $2000 rig.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. The scope and mount were looked at by several people including the RSO. Everyone agreed it was tight and mounted properly. The RSO said I needed to clean and break in the barrel and try different ammo. Another suggested trying a different scope to factor that out...

My question is does this thing really need a 200 round break-in to be accurate, even 1MOA accurate? Or do I have a possible scope/rifle issue. I have a Bushnell Elite I can rob off another gun and will more than likely do that. But wow, what a disappointment. Great day on the range, but I'm sure sitting here contemplating my choice of a 1000 yard gun.

I don't have an RPR but I have had numerous long range rifles. It's usually the optic mounts. Don't go cheap on mounts. Pull your scope and check all fasteners on the rifle and torque them to specs. Everything, including the forend fittings, bedding screws, everything. Call Ruger for specs of they're not available in the manual. Use good steel mounts or aircraft grade aluminum with robust screws. Only use military grade scope mounts. The Viper should be a great optic, check the set screws in the turrets if it has them. Troubleshoot your fasteners until you get to the optic and if it still shoots off, send the scope in for warranty after you test it at 100 and get a shift in impact. Use the appropriate thread lock compound for all screws. I recommend getting mounts with nylock type threat treatment already installed.

Are you near or at the end of your scopes adjustment range? Some scopes don't like being cranked all the way to the end of their adjustment and act up.

From what I understand the recall style was polymer. Mine is aluminum. I'm going to grab a lead sled solo and a different scope and try again. As long as the gauges Iron mailed me say its a go.
yeah for sure check it before and while shooting once you start experiencing the issue of the bolt getting harder to close

I've seen a few now that have very tight chambers, meaning headspace is right on the low end. So allot of times with cheaper factory ammo you will experience tight bolt closure.

Also I agree with the RSO. Sometimes you get lucky and have a decent shooting rifle from the first few shots. Usually things settle in after 75-100 rounds. You don't need to clean after every shot! Run a box thru it and run a solvent patch thru, then a few dry patches.
Also, don't let the barrel get to hot while shooting.

So I took out my RPR today and had a chance to run it for the first time. Set up with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Ran some cheap PMC Bronze as well as Hornady Black and another match grade ammo. About 60 rounds total. The range I went to requires a 25 yard "sight in" for new rifles.

So at 25 yards, I put two in the same hole about 1" above bullseye. Windage was perfect.

At 200 yards I missed the target altogether. We switch back to the 50/100 yard range. At 50 I'm at the very top of the paper. So a few more shots at 50 and 100 and I'm feeling lukewarm but we switch back to the 100/200/300 range.

From there, I was all over the place, including a 4" group at 100. Constant scope adjusting. Never did get anything better than minute of dinner plate. Had the friendly guy next to me shoot it, as he was shooting the same rifle in 6.5CM suppressed. He has the same results.

So just to make sure I wasn't having a seizure while behind the trigger, I shot @SKrueger 's Tikka. Managed to put two in the same hole at 300 about 1" to the right of center. Back to back. So I know it wasn't me. Not only that but I've successfully shot to 800 on a 2/3 silhouette with a .223 AR platform. I know how to shoot. I'm not the best, but I'm better than 4" groups at 100 yards with a $2000 rig.

So, I'm looking for suggestions. The scope and mount were looked at by several people including the RSO. Everyone agreed it was tight and mounted properly. The RSO said I needed to clean and break in the barrel and try different ammo. Another suggested trying a different scope to factor that out...

My question is does this thing really need a 200 round break-in to be accurate, even 1MOA accurate? Or do I have a possible scope/rifle issue. I have a Bushnell Elite I can rob off another gun and will more than likely do that. But wow, what a disappointment. Great day on the range, but I'm sure sitting here contemplating my choice of a 1000 yard gun.

I have an RPR in .308 and before I ever shot it, I emailed Ruger. There's a lot of advice "out there" about breaking in precision barrels, so I thought it best to go direct to the source. Ruger replied almost immediately: "Just clean the barrel before shooting it the first time. Clean it again when it needs it, which is typically around 600 rounds, depending on how clean the ammo is." Somewhere else on this forum I posted my first sight-in target. Took about five shots to walk in the scope using the turrets at 100 yards (measured to the inch from the barrel end using a 100-foot tape I used to use to set baseball bases for teams I coached). Then just for the heck of it, since I'm new to using turrets to change POI, I spun them to what I expected would hit the upper left diamond on the target. I should have cranked the turrets about twice as much. However, the next three shots went into almost the same hole, about .5 MOA. So, I would not say you need 200 rounds to break in the barrel. And neither would Ruger. I suggest you email or call them. Their customer service is spectacular, in my experience.

I have an RPR in .308 and before I ever shot it, I emailed Ruger. There's a lot of advice "out there" about breaking in precision barrels, so I thought it best to go direct to the source. Ruger replied almost immediately: "Just clean the barrel before shooting it the first time. Clean it again when it needs it, which is typically around 600 rounds, depending on how clean the ammo is." Somewhere else on this forum I posted my first sight-in target. Took about five shots to walk in the scope using the turrets at 100 yards (measured to the inch from the barrel end using a 100-foot tape I used to use to set baseball bases for teams I coached). Then just for the heck of it, since I'm new to using turrets to change POI, I spun them to what I expected would hit the upper left diamond on the target. I should have cranked the turrets about twice as much. However, the next three shots went into almost the same hole, about .5 MOA. So, I would not say you need 200 rounds to break in the barrel. And neither would Ruger. I suggest you email or call them. Their customer service is spectacular, in my experience.
Barrel break in is pretty much a myth IMO. I've never seen any of my rifles do better after a few boxes of ammo are through them. More than likely, the nut behind the trigger is settling in after a few boxes, assuming it's not a shoulder breaking magnum. :D

Barrel break in is pretty much a myth IMO. I've never seen any of my rifles do better after a few boxes of ammo are through them. More than likely, the nut behind the trigger is settling in after a few boxes, assuming it's not a shoulder breaking magnum. :D

It's not. The .308 is easy peasy on recoil.

@IronMonster mailed me go/no go gauges. Got them today. It's not a headspace issue, although the go gauge is pretty tight to get the handle down. So obviously on the low end of the scale.

So next step is a to clean the barrel, swap glass and try again. I'll keep this thread updated.

I don't have one, but I know a lot of people who do. It seems to me that nobody gets the accuracy they expect to get out of it. I don't know why. I have one friend it's been working for a year on a load, and still can't get it working.

Good luck

I don't have one, but I know a lot of people who do. It seems to me that nobody gets the accuracy they expect to get out of it. I don't know why. I have one friend it's been working for a year on a load, and still can't get it working.

Good luck

Well gee whiz I feel so much better now. ;)

Sorry. I honestly don't have any ideas you've been doing the right things. If you get it figured out and let us know that'd be very cool. I want more insight since they're so popular.

Believe me this thread will be up to date as often as I am.

@IronMonster mailed me go/no go gauges. Got them today. It's not a headspace issue, although the go gauge is pretty tight to get the handle down. So obviously on the low end of the scale.

So next step is a to clean the barrel, swap glass and try again. I'll keep this thread updated.

So to me, that would indicate you do have a headspace issue. Pretty tight to get the handle down on the go gauge would mean it is going to be pretty tight to load a round.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top