JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For me the shavings were thick enough to prevent me from closing the bolt because of .001 of an inch worth of brass in different areas. How it affects it I can't honestly say scientifically. I could speculate it has something to with deforming the pill in some manner or putting it at just slight enough angle to be sent down the barrel less than true. Obviously something is not allowing your bullets to stabilize. Curious if you have seen any keyholes or larger than normal holes?

Anywho, lot's of good advice for other things to check by the others and even better some options for continuing your range tests. I want to believe a really good chamber scrubbing, break out your grandfather's magnifying glass and scrub. A little mothers has never hurt any of my firearms when used lightly and with a specific goal in mind. That also helped me a little, but I caution polishing to anyone to do at their own risk. I do not do it to all my firearms, only those that exhibit behaviors that may benefit from a little extra touch. (I also offer at the end of this trying to hide that I have even put some down a barrel or two in early stages of break in. I do not recommend this unless again you have a specific task intended, like fire lapping for instance.

Funny, I did polish up the bolt with Mothers before firing. Didn't lap the mount, as it's a one piece. Burris PEPR.

@SKrueger is my brother from another mother (look at our nics for a minute and you'll see why). And yeah man, it was a great day on the range with him and @Joe13 for sure. Two friends for life now. But still, this sh** is really bothering me. I know I am better than what I did today. Period. All day long. Twice on Sundays. :D

And I'm down for a shoot with you too brother.

I'm down anytime;).

Then you out shot me, so I'll have to try harder next time :p

TBO I don't know, it was bought brand new.

Check it out, it is free if you have a screwdriver!

Set the gun on the butt, muzzle up.
Loosen the stock screws paying attention to how tight or not tight they are when you loosen them.

Retighten the front action screw first while firmly holding the barreled action against the recoil lug.
Then tighten the rear screw last. Should be about 65 inch pounds or so in that chassis style stock to be properly set.

Loosen the stock screws paying attention to how tight or not tight they are when you loosen them.

Retighten the front action screw first while firmly holding the barreled action against the recoil lug.
Then tighten the rear screw last. Should be about 65 inch pounds or so in that chassis style stock to be properly set.

I'll try this. Any advice here is welcome!

Me at 100 with a 77/22 WMR:

IMG_0530.JPG

Me with my 3-gun AR and a 1-4x24 Vortex at 100:

IMG_2926.jpg

Both on sandbags. Point is I know it's not me. Man, this is really eating me up. $2000+ into this "precision" rifle. :rolleyes:

And yeah, both targets have a flyer. I'm human. So sue me. :D

Last Edited:
Sometimes on those chassis style stocks you will have to re-tighten the stock a few times to get it to finally seat properly and stay where you put it. Check the torque every 10 or so rounds to make sure it is staying where you set it. A little bit of threadlocker on the action screws is not out of line here if it keeps loosening up.

Sometimes on those chassis style stocks you will have to re-tighten the stock a few times to get it to finally seat properly and stay where you put it. Check the torque every 10 or so rounds to make sure it is staying where you set it. A little bit of threadlocker on the action screws is not out of line here if it keeps loosening up.

Well, now I know what tomorrow evening looks like!

We are talking about a Ruger Precision Rifle here. No action screws to tighten on the stock.

just watched a ruger RPR disassembly video that ruger made. there really isnt much to take apart on these. looks like two allen head bolts on the "lower" and when going back together the guy did tighten the front most one first

What grain projectiles are you shooting?

The bolt closing issue would be my main concern. If head space is wrong, it could mess all kinds of things up. The good news is you can change the head space on the RPR really easily but you will want to have the gauges to do it.

Worst case, I have a 308 take off barrel that shot pretty decent that I would sell for a reasonable price but I would think if it came to that, you would be better off sending it back to Ruger. ;)

both. i would say that if the "go" gauge is hard to close to send it to ruger. the bolt should be easy to close on GO.

if it closes on NO GO, you have a headspacing problem also.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top