JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not sure this would affect anything since a scope is zeroed to the barrel bore but assuming something is coming in contact with the handguard (bipod, shooting bag, lead sled) could the handguard be flexing or vibrating throwing it off somehow?

without going too far down a rabbit hole im still thinking keep shooting it and take a different scope with you to the range.

every rifle ive bought has been good to go out of the box or right off the bench after ive built it. i really really hope you get this worked out... the nice thing is @SKrueger is such a good guy it aint even gonna cost you(minus gas and ammo....but u get to go shooting:D) to try a different scope.

we all should go shoot together someday.

wont have much freedom in a few weeks for a while though. gotta take care of baby.

@SKrueger is my brother from another mother (look at our nics for a minute and you'll see why). And yeah man, it was a great day on the range with him and @Joe13 for sure. Two friends for life now. But still, this sh** is really bothering me. I know I am better than what I did today. Period. All day long. Twice on Sundays. :D

And I'm down for a shoot with you too brother.

one thing you could try is if someone had a "go" "no-go" gauge you could borrow is when that bolt gets hard to close see if the "go" gauge fits and is easy to close. those gauges are precision tools of known good dimension. i would say that if it works, you shoot a few, then doesnt work there is a headspace problem.

one thing you could try is if someone had a "go" "no-go" gauge you could borrow is when that bolt gets hard to close see if the "go" gauge fits and is easy to close. those gauges are precision tools of known good dimension. i would say that if it works, you shoot a few, then doesnt work there is a headspace problem.

Good point. I don't even know what the specs are let alone anyone with a set of gauges. My gut is telling me that it's the rifle and not the glass, though........

Nothing like a kick to the giggle stick like a day on the range with your new $2000 toy and looking like a drunk monkey behind the trigger.

Nothing like a kick to the giggle stick like a day on the range with your new $2000 toy and looking like a drunk monkey behind the trigger.
HAHAHAHA

just like nothing says "we're deer hunting" like these two rifles:

B231D51C-FE58-4700-90D2-6303B2C20B09.jpeg

my lr308, my buddies rem700

did it not matter which brand ammo, the bolt would just get tougher to close?

Yeah, PMC Bronze (junk I know) Hornady Black and some stuff @SKrueger had. All over the map and the bolt got harder to close. Funny, at the 25 yard range I was using PMC and popped two into the same hole....I had such high hopes at that moment. Then things got real......

Just trying to eliminate variables for you here....

Did you make sure to adjust the parallax on the scope when you went out to the longer range?
Theoretically this could be causing this type of behavior as well.

Seems weird that it would put a couple in the same hole up close then be all over the place at distance with the same ammo. Sounds like parallax or head/eye position in relation to the scope.

Yeah, PMC Bronze (junk I know) Hornady Black and some stuff @SKrueger had. All over the map and the bolt got harder to close. Funny, at the 25 yard range I was using PMC and popped two into the same hole....I had such high hopes at that moment. Then things got real......
i would be inclined to say rifle, not glass too. worth a shot:D with a diff scope though and take some other toys out too

Did you make sure to adjust the parallax on the scope when you went out to the longer range?

Seems weird that it would put a couple in the same hole up close then be all over the place at distance with the same ammo. Sounds like parallax or head/eye position in relation to the scope.
extremely good point here!

Parallax always adjusted. at each distance to the hash marks on the glass. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong as well with head/eye position but it wasn't just me that had issues. And I jumped behind a Tikka that I'd never fired before and threw two into one.

Parallax always adjusted. at each distance to the hash marks on the glass. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong as well with head/eye position but it wasn't just me that had issues. And I jumped behind a Tikka that I'd never fired before and threw two into one.
lol im sorry but i could just see @SKrueger grinning at that point

Some Ruger's shoot good, others not as much... It is a lot to ask of a Ruger to outshoot or shoot as well as most any Tikka!

I know this does not help, but I had to throw that in there since I am a Tikka FanBoy!:D

View attachment 404761 View attachment 404762

These are the best I can do with my phone. The bore is clean and the rifling looks even. At least to me. How can some brass shavings affect it that much?

For me the shavings were thick enough to prevent me from closing the bolt because of .001 of an inch worth of brass in different areas. How it affects it I can't honestly say scientifically. I could speculate it has something to with deforming the pill in some manner or putting it at just slight enough angle to be sent down the barrel less than true. Obviously something is not allowing your bullets to stabilize. Curious if you have seen any keyholes or larger than normal holes?

Anywho, lot's of good advice for other things to check by the others and even better some options for continuing your range tests. I want to believe a really good chamber scrubbing, break out your grandfather's magnifying glass and scrub. A little mothers has never hurt any of my firearms when used lightly and with a specific goal in mind. That also helped me a little, but I caution polishing to anyone to do at their own risk. I do not do it to all my firearms, only those that exhibit behaviors that may benefit from a little extra touch. (I also offer at the end of this trying to hide that I have even put some down a barrel or two in early stages of break in. I do not recommend this unless again you have a specific task intended, like fire lapping for example.)

Some Ruger's shoot good, others not as much... It is a lot to ask of a Ruger to outshoot or shoot as well as most any Tikka!

I know this does not help, but I had to throw that in there since I am a Tikka FanBoy!:D

Gee thanks, I hadn't heard that AT ALL today. :D

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads