JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think what most mean when they say that Government should operate like a business is that Government should stop spending more than it has coming in. Just like a business expands and contracts with the economy, government should be required to tighten it's belt just like the rest of us when times get tough. When the Government starts spending to "buy prosperity" it usually only buys poverty for most of its citizens.

That's a huge problem right there, because business often spends more than it has coming in. I know, I run a business, that periodically I have to borrow money from places, whether it's banks, family, friends, or if I were a large institution I would do this through investment markets or bond markets. That's the nature of business, if you have a good idea people will invest in you. In government if you have a good idea it is likely to cost the taxpayers billions or trillions, and that is the exact nature of the problem. If these imbeciles would stop having good ideas and read the instructions the government would run smoothly, within budget and deliver the few products we expect (defense) on time.

That's a huge problem right there, because business often spends more than it has coming in. I know, I run a business, that periodically I have to borrow money from places, whether it's banks, family, friends, or if I were a large institution I would do this through investment markets or bond markets. That's the nature of business, if you have a good idea people will invest in you. In government if you have a good idea it is likely to cost the taxpayers billions or trillions, and that is the exact nature of the problem. If these imbeciles would stop having good ideas and read the instructions the government would run smoothly, within budget and deliver the few products we expect (defense) on time.

The difference is that you have to actually borrow it and pay back the loan. The government merely prints more money and raises the "Debt Limit". They don't have to be careful with money 'cause they can always get more where it came from.

When a private business exceeds a certain Debt to Asset ratio the Banks then start telling them to go fly a kite when they need more.

I probably should have stated the obvious, How is running government this way a bad thing?

Government never produces anything, so except in the most dire of circumstance (war, national emergency) the government should never be in a position where it borrows money as part of day to day operations.

Until 1913 the federal government didn't even have the ability to collect income taxes, that year our national debt was: 2,916,204,913.66 last year, after 100 years of income tax the national debt was 13,561,623,030,891.79, of which Obama and his policies have added 3,536,898,133,979.3 (yes, 3.5 trillion) since coming into office. It seems the whole "debts to assets ratio" of the government is rapidly approaching the "go fly a kite" rating.

It seems the whole "debts to assets ratio" of the government is rapidly approaching the "go fly a kite" rating.

Everyone needs to hang on to their athletic supporters if this trend continues. When the Government starts sucking up the last of the available money in the economy, whether in this country or China, then interest rates will skyrocket. Remember Jimmie Carter days? Anyone here now that tried to buy a house back then? Interest rates in the double digits. Anyone that tried to borrow money for their business? Most business loan interest rates are calculated using the Prime Rate as a basis and then points are added based on the credit worthiness of the borrowing business. GOOD companies were faced with borrowing rates as high as 19% under the Peanut Farmer's administration.

Like the old saying goes, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"! Won't be long and we'll all need $100 bills to pay for things we used to get change back from a buck when buying. I mean for things we've bought in OUR lifetimes, not our Grandparents.

When a private business exceeds a certain Debt to Asset ratio the Banks then start telling them to go fly a kite when they need more.
+1 exactly. Businesses have to keep their debts in check and properly manage their cash flow. Government just takes more and more when they run low so they can keep buying $20,000 toilet seats.
Just because it's not for profit doesn't mean it should be run like a black hole for money.

Everyone needs to hang on to their athletic supporters if this trend continues. When the Government starts sucking up the last of the available money in the economy, whether in this country or China, then interest rates will skyrocket. Remember Jimmie Carter days? Anyone here now that tried to buy a house back then? Interest rates in the double digits. Anyone that tried to borrow money for their business? Most business loan interest rates are calculated using the Prime Rate as a basis and then points are added based on the credit worthiness of the borrowing business. GOOD companies were faced with borrowing rates as high as 19% under the Peanut Farmer's administration.

Like the old saying goes, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"! Won't be long and we'll all need $100 bills to pay for things we used to get change back from a buck when buying. I mean for things we've bought in OUR lifetimes, not our Grandparents.

I remember Johny Carson making a joke that it is cheaper to borrow money from the mob because they only charge 20%.
(Mortgage rates at the time were actually above 20%).
I also remember my mom getting over 13% on her CDs at the bank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top