JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Kinda funny how people whine about fuel costs while drinking a three dollar cup of coffee or sipping off that bottle of water...

Price of fuel is ridiculous, But look at everything else in the whole big picture...

Two eighty a gallon few complain, Four bucks a gallon it's a catastrophe, Based on forty gallons that is forty eight bucks...
That forty eight bucks is such a big deal, But what about everything else that is just stupidly over priced...
We will see four dollars a gallon plus very soon, Then everything moved by a combustion engine will go up... Everything harvested, Produced, Manufactured will double, Then what will people complain about...
This is very concerning stuff, I hope people are prepared, The poor souls that live off of fast food and processed food and get everything in containers better learn a different way of life pretty soon...

well said -

Here's some foood for thought regarding how much of a person's income gas cost in the past versus now:

Let us look at relative cost to a worker to fill up using 1949 dollars. That year the 27 cents it cost for a gallon of gas, took a certain share of the worker's wage. The interesting question is, has the cost as a share or percent of the worker's wage increased or decreased over time? The table shows that for the two wage rates and price of gasoline in other years, this cost has fallen. Since wages have increased faster than the price of gasoline, by 2009 an unskilled worker spends less than two-thirds as much, as a percent of wage, for a gallon of gasoline than the 1949 worker. For a production worker it is only half. The table shows that the $2.36 a worker paid in 2009 would be comparable to only 13 to 16 cents (in 1949 prices "share" of the wage.

When we use the GDP per capita, the cost has fallen faster. Looking at the table shows that a gallon of gasoline costs around 11 cents a gallon (in 1949 prices) if measured as a "share" of the GDP per capita. This is because in 1949, 27 cents was .015% of per capita GDP, while in 2007, $2.36 was .006%.

Finally, comparing its cost as a share of GDP, we see that in 1949 prices, it is about 4 cents. This means that a gallon gasoline was six times larger as a share of output in 1949 than it is today.

Here's some foood for thought regarding how much of a person's income gas cost in the past versus now:

Let us look at relative cost to a worker to fill up using 1949 dollars. That year the 27 cents it cost for a gallon of gas, took a certain share of the worker's wage. The interesting question is, has the cost as a share or percent of the worker's wage increased or decreased over time? The table shows that for the two wage rates and price of gasoline in other years, this cost has fallen. Since wages have increased faster than the price of gasoline, by 2009 an unskilled worker spends less than two-thirds as much, as a percent of wage, for a gallon of gasoline than the 1949 worker. For a production worker it is only half. The table shows that the $2.36 a worker paid in 2009 would be comparable to only 13 to 16 cents (in 1949 prices "share" of the wage.

When we use the GDP per capita, the cost has fallen faster. Looking at the table shows that a gallon of gasoline costs around 11 cents a gallon (in 1949 prices) if measured as a "share" of the GDP per capita. This is because in 1949, 27 cents was .015% of per capita GDP, while in 2007, $2.36 was .006%.

Finally, comparing its cost as a share of GDP, we see that in 1949 prices, it is about 4 cents. This means that a gallon gasoline was six times larger as a share of output in 1949 than it is today.

nicely done, but dont let OPEC find out about this. Keep it on this forum.

as hard as rising gas prices suck, I just returned from Europe three weeks ago. When you do the conversion from liters to gallons and euros to dollars

a gallon of gas costs (drum roll) 8.90 a gallon

we got it good folks.

They buy the oil at the same world market prices we do, the extra cost is all taxes. They tax the heck out of gas, and over on our side of the pond our gov taxes tax something else besides gas to get just as much of our dough. The argument that since they pay so much that we are getting a good deal is goofy. A study I did about 5 years ago showed that an average European was paying about the same as an average American in Taxes, and that included the extra they pay in gas and the extra we pay for health care.

They buy the oil at the same world market prices we do, the extra cost is all taxes. They tax the heck out of gas, and over on our side of the pond our gov taxes tax something else besides gas to get just as much of our dough. The argument that since they pay so much that we are getting a good deal is goofy. A study I did about 5 years ago showed that an average European was paying about the same as an average American in Taxes, and that included the extra they pay in gas and the extra we pay for health care.

huh? regardless if the price per liter is driven from taxes or cost per barrel we Americans pay less. allI am saying is we got it good and we do. regardless of where the costs pile on to drive what the consumer pays we pay less-alot less.

so what does your study have to do with the price of gas? Keep it simple - WE PAY LESS FOR GAS. its really easy to say.....and its true too.:s0155:

on another note. I would really question your study. I travel frequently to Europe. If you use Belgium as the basis for your study I might agree with you, in fact I would, but if you select The Netherlands, UK, Sweden etc I have a very hard time believing the equity between the EU and the US.

see you at the pump :s0114:

huh? regardless if the price per liter is driven from taxes or cost per barrel we Americans pay less. allI am saying is we got it good and we do. regardless of where the costs pile on to drive what the consumer pays we pay less-alot less.

so what does your study have to do with the price of gas? Keep it simple - WE PAY LESS FOR GAS. its really easy to say.....and its true too.:s0155:

on another note. I would really question your study. I travel frequently to Europe. If you use Belgium as the basis for your study I might agree with you, in fact I would, but if you select The Netherlands, UK, Sweden etc I have a very hard time believing the equity between the EU and the US.

see you at the pump :s0114:

This goofy new system just ate my post, but in short hand, what part of they tax us in other ways don't you get? Our gas taxes do not pay the costs of roads, improvements, cops, and mass transit, now do they? So who you think does pay for these things?

England and Germany were used in my study, and in both countries the per capita tax is about the same as in the US adjusting for our absurdly inefficient private health care system, or at least it was about 5 years ago when I did the comparisons.

This goofy new system just ate my post, but in short hand, what part of they tax us in other ways don't you get? Our gas taxes do not pay the costs of roads, improvements, cops, and mass transit, now do they? So who you think does pay for these things?

you're still not getting it - or you're over complicating it. The driver here is rising gas prices - my comment is we pay less than other countries (READ THAT OVER FIVE TIMES) if you do that and feel a need to comment do so.

England and Germany were used in my study, and in both countries the per capita tax is about the same as in the US adjusting for our absurdly inefficient private health care system, or at least it was about 5 years ago when I did the comparisons.

without reading your work I have a hard time believing the UK is on par with the US when you include all their silly taxes like TV tax. makes me think tho what exactly you attempted to include and exclude in your study - nevertheless its a moot point (to me anyways) since it detracts from the spirit of this original post.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top