JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"... Hunters and anglers are hit very hard with high gas costs and will likely reduce their travels or skip things altogether because it is simply too expensive for that trek to Chelan or Okanogan or Ferry county for five trout a day, four grouse a day or a chance to maybe see one legal deer to shoot. It is too expensive to fuel the boat...

"...Face it, you snobby economists: People spend their “disposable” income on outdoor recreation and vacations, and that’s not going to happen in 2011 if they are “disposing” of that “disposable” income at the gas pump just to get back and forth to work..."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

Hey if you listen to the government economists, they're saying the US dollar is close to deflating, so the wanton money printing is no problem! :s0114:

My personal estimate, gas will easily break $4/gal this summer. Probably $4.25 peak.

hmmmm My Dakota gets 18-20mpg if gas is $3.00 a gallon and I fill up an empty tank (20 out of 22 gallons) That's $60.00 if gas goes up to $3.25 thats $65.00 for the same 360-400 miles. If it goes to $3.50 thats $70.00

it's a pretty good hunting/fishing trip to burn up 360-400 miles and if it costs me an extra $10.00 I'm not staying home.

I think the majority of Sportsman are more into their hobby then that.

Now $4.00 a gallon and I don't even want to go to work LOL

"... Hunters and anglers are hit very hard with high gas costs and will likely reduce their travels or skip things altogether because it is simply too expensive for that trek to Chelan or Okanogan or Ferry county for five trout a day, four grouse a day or a chance to maybe see one legal deer to shoot. It is too expensive to fuel the boat...

"...Face it, you snobby economists: People spend their “disposable” income on outdoor recreation and vacations, and that’s not going to happen in 2011 if they are “disposing” of that “disposable” income at the gas pump just to get back and forth to work..."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

Dave, In general I like your work, but I hate examiner.com

Of course as fewer people hunt and fish the lic and tags must go up to keep up with the needs of government. Progressives will "nudge" you out of the life you want. You guys keep voteing for em so ya got to pay.

jj

"...Face it, you snobby economists: People spend their "disposable" income on outdoor recreation and vacations, and that's not going to happen in 2011 if they are "disposing" of that "disposable" income at the gas pump just to get back and forth to work..."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

Well... that's going to suck because I have to drive from Tigard to Camas every day, but I don't think it's going to affect my shooting sports much. I don't hunt though, just practical shooting competitions. Maybe I should move up to WA. :(

Dave, In general I like your work, but I hate examiner.com
I agree. It is a horrid website that is completely impossible to view if you aren't running adblock and noscript (which you should be doing anyway but still... it's the principle of the matter!). I dunno why he keeps going there... :s0154:

Of course as fewer people hunt and fish the lic and tags must go up to keep up with the needs of government. Progressives will "nudge" you out of the life you want. You guys keep voteing for em so ya got to pay.

jj

So rising gas prices are just a small part of a large, highly complex progressive scheme to limit hunting and fishing?

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with progressives or conservatives. Americans are addicted to suckling at the teet of OPEC and until we break that addiction we will continue to be at their mercy and brave American service men and women will continue to die in the process.

So rising gas prices are just a small part of a large, highly complex progressive scheme to limit hunting and fishing?

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with progressives or conservatives. Americans are addicted to suckling at the teet of OPEC and until we break that addiction we will continue to be at their mercy and brave American service men and women will continue to die in the process.

Sorry, but we have oil in this country we could drill for yet the progressives won't let us. You are being "nudged" by alot of different happenings that are going to change your life because of progressives. Our progressive president has stopped drilling in most place in the USA so yes we will have to kill if we want oil.

You voted for, you will pay in the long run with the loss of freedom and lifestyle.

jj

Oil is nothing more than pumpable dirt, it is traded on a futures market where nearly every player involved has a vested interest in driving prices up to the point where they begin to lower consumption. In reality this is a controlled market and $100 a barrel for pumpable dirt is just plain nuts, but then again the inmates are running the asylum so what can you expect. The major oil companies are also producers and they play the same game OPEC does.

I wonder, if we developed Fusion energy tomorrow and could make all the power we need for only the cost of the distribution system, I'm sure the powers that be would manage to charge us about the same for it that they do now!

Give this a bit of thought: Everything was rolling along just fine until we got 4 buck a gallon gas and then all the disposable income was sucked out of our economy, the choice became do i make the house payment or buy gas to get to work? You can remember the outcome of that round. well here it comes again.

Give this a bit of thought: Everything was rolling along just fine until we got 4 buck a gallon gas and then all the disposable income was sucked out of our economy, the choice became do i make the house payment or buy gas to get to work? You can remember the outcome of that round. well here it comes again.

EXACTLY!
That's what I explained in the column.

We hit $4 gas again, this time the economy tanks, maybe for the long long term. This may be swell for the greenie bicycle crowd, but not me or anybody I know.

as hard as rising gas prices suck, I just returned from Europe three weeks ago. When you do the conversion from liters to gallons and euros to dollars

a gallon of gas costs (drum roll) 8.90 a gallon

we got it good folks.

as hard as rising gas prices suck, I just returned from Europe three weeks ago. When you do the conversion from liters to gallons and euros to dollars

a gallon of gas costs (drum roll) 8.90 a gallon

we got it good folks.

We got it different, not good.
Europe is Europe, which is why we've had to save their butts in two world wars. It is a different society altogether, travel is different and the lifestyle is certainly different.

If America sneezes at $4 gasoline, the whole world catches a cold.

We got it different, not good.
Europe is Europe, which is why we've had to save their butts in two world wars. It is a different society altogether, travel is different and the lifestyle is certainly different.

If America sneezes at $4 gasoline, the whole world catches a cold.

Not sure what point your making connecting gas prices to war and the differences between europe to the US. Most of the rest of the world pays more for gas than we do. I hate rising gas prices, but I would prefer 4 bucks or even 5 bucks a gallon to 10.

i paid 5.15 for diesel two years ago - it's already been that high. If you want to protest start walking. I am sure your contribution to fuel will hit BP and Shell hard enough to make them rethink their marketing and pricing strategy.:s0155:

Kinda funny how people whine about fuel costs while drinking a three dollar cup of coffee or sipping off that bottle of water...

Price of fuel is ridiculous, But look at everything else in the whole big picture...

Two eighty a gallon few complain, Four bucks a gallon it's a catastrophe, Based on forty gallons that is forty eight bucks...
That forty eight bucks is such a big deal, But what about everything else that is just stupidly over priced...
We will see four dollars a gallon plus very soon, Then everything moved by a combustion engine will go up... Everything harvested, Produced, Manufactured will double, Then what will people complain about...
This is very concerning stuff, I hope people are prepared, The poor souls that live off of fast food and processed food and get everything in containers better learn a different way of life pretty soon...

I know gas prices *might* affect my recreation this summer. Truck gets 10-13 mpg and the dunes is about 200 miles round trip. Quads can burn 10 gallons a day. Boat can do 2 tanks of fuel a day if we are tubing...it will add up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top