JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
upload_2017-12-18_14-24-41.gif

so what happened between the "wild wild west" and 1986 that got concealed carry outlawed? When did carrying a gun become illegal?

1934 was 158 years after 1776...

Im just not certain when concealed carry became illegal?
Right.
1813; Kentucky and Louisana passed conceal carry bans, open legal, concealed seen as dishonorable as being criminal (where have we heard this... :rolleyes: ) ; by 1859, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio,Virginia and Indiana passed similar laws.. by the end of the 1800 many other States adopted the same laws, notably Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. Majority of Southern States banned concealed carry. After the 1934 acts and after the 1968 acts; most of these same states became "No-Issue/May Issue (restrictive)".
Concurrently, many cities in many states also have a special rule stating only permit holders can open carry of loaded firearms (See Independence, Portland, Eugene and Salem Oregon)

Right.
1813; Kentucky and Louisana passed conceal carry bans, open legal, concealed seen as dishonorable as being criminal (where have we heard this... :rolleyes: ) ; by 1859, Tennessee, Alabama, Ohio,Virginia and Indiana passed similar laws.. by the end of the 1800 many other States adopted the same laws, notably Texas, Florida and Oklahoma. Majority of Southern States banned concealed carry. After the 1934 acts and after the 1968 acts; most of these same states became "No-Issue/May Issue (restrictive)".
Concurrently, many cities in many states also have a special rule stating only permit holders can open carry of loaded firearms (See Independence, Portland, Eugene and Salem Oregon)

I was actually surprised someone knew the history (I dont...). So it all started downhill in 1813... I knew back then that concealed carry was seen as dishonorable because everyone open carried guns back then and if I understand it correctly the bad guys started concealing to get in close to rob the good guys.

side thought, I wonder if we would go full circle if open carry actually became normal again...

I was actually surprised someone knew the history (I dont...). So it all started downhill in 1813.
Yeah; right after beating off the British for the 2nd time... understand that piracy in the Caribbean waters were also at a high in that same era, so it should not be surprising that pirates also conceal carried arms and atuff, and the public were largely not interested in arms other than hunting and openly for self defence. I do agree, it would be interesting to see if it comes full circle where open carry is the norm, but methinks something truly catastrophic, essentially "world ending" events would have to happen first to cull the ones who are most against arms of any sort before we can see more progress. Its interesting that for all the doom and gloom raised by a few here, gun rights had been expanding since 1986, with a hiccup of the 94-2000 AWB period..... and it seems only a few states have continued to restrict citizens rights but there are people fighting for them.

Yeah; right after beating off the British for the 2nd time... understand that piracy in the Caribbean waters were also at a high in that same era, so it should not be surprising that pirates also conceal carried arms and atuff, and the public were largely not interested in arms other than hunting and openly for self defence. I do agree, it would be interesting to see if it comes full circle where open carry is the norm, but methinks something truly catastrophic, essentially "world ending" events would have to happen first to cull the ones who are most against arms of any sort before we can see more progress. Its interesting that for all the doom and gloom raised by a few here, gun rights had been expanding since 1986, with a hiccup of the 94-2000 AWB period..... and it seems only a few states have continued to restrict citizens rights but there are people fighting for them.

its true there has been some progress but there has been a LOT of resistance to that not to mention having to dig out in the first place.

1813; Kentucky and Louisana passed conceal carry bans, open legal, concealed seen as dishonorable as being criminal

Funny that those laws were premised on the notion that open carry was the honorable and normal alternative - then at some point the premise was dispensed with! Just goes to show you, that laws are weapons the rulers use to bully the peons.

What I wonder about is the progression of the laws banning open carry. Or was it just something that people stopped doing on their own, because it was inconvenient? The old, "Use a right or lose it"?

What I wonder about is the progression of the laws banning open carry. Or was it just something that people stopped doing on their own, because it was inconvenient? The old, "Use a right or lose it"?

I think it was because it became less of a necessity especially as population centers grew. Back in the wild west it wasnt just the gunfighters that carried, a working man would carry as a tool for various things from bagging dinner on the way home to putting a horse down... Not needed in the city life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top