JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is the one I used for a LONG time on my Sub2000 that used to be my go to house gun. I don't remember what I paid for it but Amazon has the mount for about $50 if you already have a Streamlight. I don't remember the mount being that much but maybe it was. Back then there was not a lot to choose from. They (Amazon) have a lot of pressure switch rail mount lights. This one rode that S2K in .40 and seemed unaffected after many range sessions. Took it off when I sold the gun and my current one just has a light you hit at the light. Not as easy but about 1/3 the size so I went with it. May put this back on one of the PCC's since I already have it and I know it holds up.

TL2.jpg

Just looked this company up and I think I found my solution.

They make some really cool stuff.
Sweet!

I honestly haven't built up one of their lights. I was JUST about to, and then picked up the surefire Fury and built it up. I still will eventually.

I know Malkoff is good. I have one of their surefire g2 heads and it is great.

Took awhile but I finally got this topic resolved!

Found a company called Cloud Defensive and they sell kits. Get a Streamlight Protac HL-X, tape switch, batteries, and their tape switch mount for $160. Best deal I could find for what I'm looking for. I added an Arisaka MLok angled mount and I'm in the business of adding light to a dark place!

BBE33217-D356-4F62-AC64-8A47FA80E7BD.jpeg 7DCC4DD7-BDBD-4B4D-A26F-B10DF850BC69.jpeg

A bit late to the party as usual...and now I see you have resolved the issue...anyway...

I prefer lights at 12 o'clock. Everything is in line; bore, optic, light. Where one goes, the others go with it.

When working around barriers, don't have to hang yourself out any farther than necessary. Same if the light is at 6 o'clock...only have to raise up far enough to clear the bore.

The most I would go on either side of 12 o'clock, would be 11-1

I run an Inforce light at the end of the hand guard. I'm also running a magnified optic with both etched and lighted reticle, no need for b/u sights.

Will post pics when I get home.

Last Edited:
Took awhile but I finally got this topic resolved!

Found a company called Cloud Defensive and they sell kits. Get a Streamlight Protac HL-X, tape switch, batteries, and their tape switch mount for $160. Best deal I could find for what I'm looking for. I added an Arisaka MLok angled mount and I'm in the business of adding light to a dark place!

View attachment 503506 View attachment 503507

I have the same Arisaka mount and Cloud Defensive switch mount with Surefire Scout lights. Love the setup.

I prefer lights at 12 o'clock. Everything is in line; bore, optic, light. Where one goes, the others go with it.

When working around barriers, don't have to hang yourself out any farther than necessary. Same if the light is at 6 o'clock...only have to raise up far enough to clear the bore.

I run an Inforce light at the end of the hand guard. I'm also running a magnified optic with both etched and lighted reticle, no need for b/u sights.

I do too for all the reasons mentioned plus it is fully ambidextrous and being primarily LH that's always a bonus for me, although I am warming up to the above setup. Mine is setup with a Surefire X300U-A, though I'd like to replace it with a new 1000 lumen X300-B and move the "A" to one of my pistols. I still run BUIS with my Aimpoint Micro.

A bit late to the party as usual...and now I see you have resolved the issue...anyway...

The most I would go on either side of 12 o'clock, would be 11-1

Good points! I'm likely going to never need to use a light in a defensive situation I hope, but I'm happy to have and not need, than need and not have.

FYI, Gene Malkoff makes a threaded adapter for the legacy Surefire bodies to fit the modern Scout head. It is not a product on the web for some odd reason you need to call or email, something like 15 bucks.

Is there something better about the scout head?. I have never seen one. thnxs, in advance.

Last Edited:
Adding to the myriad of possible options in case anyone else sees this in the future...I just got done setting up a M300, a SR07 switch, and Magpul's extended MLok Scout mount. Liked the SR07 a bit more because it's still a rail mount, but a bit lower profile than the Cloud mount; it is made of a flexy/rubbery material though, so there is a need to zip tie down the front and back areas to keep it secured. I have it setup so the SR07 starts forward of where my thumb usually sits. This lets me either just clamp down on the rail itself (no worry about accidental light operation), move my thumb forward a little so I can activate the light, or stretch all the way forward to hit the constant on button.

rBLigYO.jpg

A7CA9C05-36EC-419F-9BA3-D489D2CAD9BD.jpeg 6AE168A5-6CE3-4DE7-9C11-F004CF7772E4.jpeg F345AA9D-3B44-46DD-B51E-8549AE8A8131.jpeg

Here are two of my ARs. The lights on them are configured the same way.

Surefire Scouts are super pricey, and I resent having to buy multiple components and spend $400ish per rifle.

I've been exceptionally pleased with Streamlight's Protac HLX series of lights. 1000 lumens of light output, and comes as a kit with both the tail cap switch and the tape switch, as well as a way to mount the tape switch to a rail via the little rubber rail grabbers. And, as a bonus, they're compatible with Surefire Scout mounts. Mine are directly attached to the Magpul offset mount, with the tape switches at the 12 o'clock position.

Here you can see the nice bright hot spot, as well as a good bit of spill, giving you a lot of data when you utilize the light:
7683B98D-D549-4FB4-ADC2-2BBA5A5F4911.jpeg

View attachment 508881 View attachment 508882 View attachment 508884

Here are two of my ARs. The lights on them are configured the same way.

Surefire Scouts are super pricey, and I resent having to buy multiple components and spend $400ish per rifle.

I've been exceptionally pleased with Streamlight's Protac HLX series of lights. 1000 lumens of light output, and comes as a kit with both the tail cap switch and the tape switch, as well as a way to mount the tape switch to a rail via the little rubber rail grabbers. And, as a bonus, they're compatible with Surefire Scout mounts. Mine are directly attached to the Magpul offset mount, with the tape switches at the 12 o'clock position.

Here you can see the nice bright hot spot, as well as a good bit of spill, giving you a lot of data when you utilize the light:
View attachment 508895

Not sure where you are shopping, but I recommend you stop.

I just picked up the latest dual fuel SF Scout in FDE for $230 delivered, it puts out 1500 lumens and is flat out the best light I've ever owned. I am long past due for a new hand held and will be dropping the coin for FURY-DFT much sooner than later.

I've had two Streamlights fail on me, they were older models and I know they are better now but the sh*ty taste never went away, won't own another one. I can honestly say I've never resented a dime I've given to Surefire and they've gotten plenty of rolls from me over the years.

Last Edited:
Not sure why you're coming off so condescending. I'm not calling you out and telling you you're a POS for running a Surefire light, I'm explaining that I don't prefer them for several reasons. However, I'll happily address your point and expand on my own:

The new Surefire Scout, like all Scouts, only comes with the tailcap. You still have two more components to buy if you want to run a tape switch, three if you want something other than a piece of double sided adhesive to mount the switch to the rail. I own one of these also, and have been using it on a Sig Virtus suppressed SBR for about three-ish months, as opposed to having "just picked one up". Being able to see how it performs over time is part of how I formulated this opinion of mine. I also own a Surefire Scout suppressor. Not opposed to Surefire products in any way, as long as they're the best answer to the given question.

On the other hand, I have six Streamlight HLXs currently in use, with a combined total of ~34,200 rounds between them. I use three Surefire pistol lights and about a half dozen Surefire hand held lights, I still resent having to buy a bunch of components and spend a totally ridiculous amount to equip *one* rifle. The word "resent" seems to be what rustled your jimmies the most, but I wouldn't hold out for a recant from me.

The 1500 lumens on the new Surefire Scout is nice, but can only be achieved with the rechargeable 18650A battery. When it's good, it's great. But over time the battery stops discharging gradually, and starts discharging all of a sudden. So after awhile, when the battery needs charging, it really needs charging. That's why I don't even look at the Scout DF until they sort that out.

But surefire is better.

:p

Hides!

Hahaha, well played, well played.

I honestly don't think one is better than the other. As with most things, but especially with guns and gear, everything is a trade off. I know that, for me, life gets in the way and I probably won't be as diligent as I should about checking a rechargeable battery. I much prefer to use the CR123As on the HLX for 1000 lumens, than have to monitor a rechargeable battery on a Surefire for 1500 lumens, or use the Surefire with 123s for only 600. I can also equip two long guns with HLXs for the price of one Scout.

I'm also not emotionally invested in my gear choices. I don't need anyone else's validation that I did or didn't spend my money on the absolute best thing out there. My kit is constantly changing and evolving as newer and better technology comes to the forefront. If Surefire releases a new Scout that offers 1500 lumens with CR123 batteries, I'll buy one and demo it. But I'll still be paying out the nose to configure it how I want.

I was just joking.

Some folks are way more hardcore than I am. I'm more of a hobbyist, recreational shooter, occasional hunter.

I've had training and done some competitions. I'm usually the quiet, non camouflaged, non tactical guy without the latest and greatest gear in the back watching everyone else, and smiling!

Not sure why you're coming off so condescending. I'm not calling you out and telling you you're a POS for running a Surefire light, I'm explaining that I don't prefer them for several reasons. However, I'll happily address your point and expand on my own:

The new Surefire Scout, like all Scouts, only comes with the tailcap. You still have two more components to buy if you want to run a tape switch, three if you want something other than a piece of double sided adhesive to mount the switch to the rail. I own one of these also, and have been using it on a Sig Virtus suppressed SBR for about three-ish months, as opposed to having "just picked one up". Being able to see how it performs over time is part of how I formulated this opinion of mine. I also own a Surefire Scout suppressor. Not opposed to Surefire products in any way, as long as they're the best answer to the given question.

On the other hand, I have six Streamlight HLXs currently in use, with a combined total of ~34,200 rounds between them. I use three Surefire pistol lights and about a half dozen Surefire hand held lights, I still resent having to buy a bunch of components and spend a totally ridiculous amount to equip *one* rifle. The word "resent" seems to be what rustled your jimmies the most, but I wouldn't hold out for a recant from me.

The 1500 lumens on the new Surefire Scout is nice, but can only be achieved with the rechargeable 18650A battery. When it's good, it's great. But over time the battery stops discharging gradually, and starts discharging all of a sudden. So after awhile, when the battery needs charging, it really needs charging. That's why I don't even look at the Scout DF until they sort that out.

Not trying to be condescending, am I'm not calling you out and telling you you're a POS for running a Streamlight nor do I expect or desire a recant from you. I am simply stating I have multiple firearms with various Surefire lights and none of them have reached the $400 per rifle mark, I mentioned the latest. Some Scouts do come with pressure switches some don't which is fine with me, since they offer multiple types.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top