JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Where are you getting these Surefires for so cheap? Best deal I could find was the light and switch for $387, which was on Amazon. To be honest, it was your comment of not knowing where I was shopping, but recommending I stop that came across mighty condescending. If I misread it, my bad.

Just my opinion:

I prefer Elzetta lights for my AR lmyself and I have three Elzetta lights so far. I have one on my Spike's Tactical with the bayonet light mount and I have another one that is a spot light on my BCM M4 carbine on the left side. I also have an Elzetta light on my 590A1 shotgun. The shotgun light is a bit of a pain the take off the disassemble my shotgun but is worth while to have good light on my pump shotgun.

Home - Elzetta Tactical Lighting

I guess I posted on the thread before and it posted and posted picture of my Spike's Tactical already. I have since put a have vertical grip on than the full one on my picture.

BF43D6C0-22EF-4F2D-A3C9-2F8830B0972E.jpeg

CCBBF200-09F2-4FA6-B6C5-1315B919CB71.jpeg

Orange tape means Gold Dot 75gr.

Last Edited:
Looking back a ways....my very first weapon mounted light was at the time a Streamlight SL20 that was literally strapped to the forend with that ratcheting plumbers pipe clamp that has a screw to tighten. And at the time (1980s) the practice was quite controversial. Some referred to it as the "Gucci SAS" way, and others said it was a liability to hang anything off a firearm. As a light, they held up surprisingly well even under the concussion of firing...to a point.

My next gen were the Surefire mounts that came with the replacement forends. Groundbreaking at the time, and tough as could be. But we quickly learned that the housings tended to be a bit bulky. We also discovered that squeezing the pressure switch for constant on for any long stretch tended to get tiring REAL QUICK! Also found that running the switch the whole length of the forearm caused the handler to unintentionally "bump" into the pressure switch and send a burst of light when that was unwanted. Surefire started offering a bracket to block half of the pressure pad at the time. They also started offering the on/off switches to give the constant on option.

I've been going with the Surefire Scout models lately. Compact, lightweight. Throws a good beam. Enough of them out there that I've been able to pick them up from reputable shooters on the used market. I have them set up with pressure switches and the on/off as well. New Surefire model releases allow the Scout price on the used market to adjust from time to time.

Surefire does command a healthy price. No doubt about it. But for me, after many many years of using the brand- I am absolutely confident that the lighting heads are robust under recoil, and are very reliable. I like that they have always taken pride in making a weapon specific mount that doesn't just shine a light, but was designed to take the abuse of constant recoil and still throw a beam.

I just ordered one of Arisaka's new Streamlight to Surefire Scout Tailcap adapters. I'll report back on this thread after I've had a chance to try and break it.

Cloud Defensive OWL (Optimized Weapon Light).

Surefire Scout M600DF on an Arisaka mount with pressure switch and Cloud Defensive LCS (Light Control System).

Streamlight HLX on an Arisaka mount with pressure switch and Cloud Defensive LCS (Light Control System).

Only ones I would use. I currently have a Steamlight HLX but I'm planning on upgrading to a CD OWL once I get the cash. Expensive, but bomb proof and worth it for a "go to war" style rifle.

I didn't go back and reread the whole thread, so not sure if this was ever brought up...

Whatever light you choose, it needs to be as capable as the weapon you place it on.

I've used pistol lights on rifles, and they work well for CQB work, but fail miserably outside and for rifle distance work where needing to ID is paramount.

Pistol lights differ from rifle lights, as they don't have the throw or spill that is required for longer distance.

There's a lot of crap out there about lumens, burning out your eyes if you use anything above 300 lumens in a small room etc. Ugh

I've put on a lot of low light classes over the years, and the curriculum is not so much about shooting, but about how to use the light, both weapon mounted and hand held.

The science behind the lumens, how the eyes work, the light differences in the reflectors, shadowing, and effective use for ID, moving, and engaging. Add obstacles, barricades and multiple targets and fighting takes on a whole new perspective .

I prefer my lights as close to 12 o'clock as possible for a few reasons;

Where the sight and bore go...the light is right there with it...with minimal shadowing.

Able to use from both right and left shoulder mounting...again ergonomic.

Last, safer to use around barricades, obstacles etc, as you don't have to expose yourself more than necessary. With the light at say 3 or 9 o'clock , you have to lean out further to get the light out from behind the obstacle.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top