JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Taurus 606 Ported .357, 6 shot steel frame. Mine is currently on loan to my daughter. Had it for 15 years and many 1000's of rounds. Shooting 38's it just sits in your hand when fired. All 357's are fine also but for the really stiff 158 grainer's. And those are just a sharp slap.

Why not take her shopping and let her decide? Many guys make the mistake of buying a little gun for the "little lady" which is difficult to shoot and is many times left behind. One thing I learned as a military and police firearms instructor is that most women have no problem handling full size service pistols. Virtually every handgun can be concealed, but sometimes it requires adjustments to the wardrobe.

If she decides on a J frame or other small revolver then go with that, but make sure her carry ammo is modern self defense loads. No cheap reloads or bargain basement ammo. In most cases when someone's day goes from bad to worse, they don't even notice recoil.

I usually carry a .40 or .45, but on those warm days when I carry my S&W 642, stoked with Hornady Critical Defense +P loads and at least one speed loader with me, I don't feel under-gunned at all.

My wife decided on a Taurus model 85, Ultra Lite, with CT lasergrips. It was her choice and arthritis in her hands is an issue for us.

Why not take her shopping and let her decide? Many guys make the mistake of buying a little gun for the "little lady" which is difficult to shoot and is many times left behind. One thing I learned as a military and police firearms instructor is that most women have no problem handling full size service pistols. Virtually every handgun can be concealed, but sometimes it requires adjustments to the wardrobe.

If she decides on a J frame or other small revolver then go with that, but make sure her carry ammo is modern self defense loads. No cheap reloads or bargain basement ammo. In most cases when someone's day goes from bad to worse, they don't even notice recoil.

I usually carry a .40 or .45, but on those warm days when I carry my S&W 642, stoked with Hornady Critical Defense +P loads and at least one speed loader with me, I don't feel under-gunned at all.

My wife decided on a Taurus model 85, Ultra Lite, with CT lasergrips. It was her choice and arthritis in her hands is an issue for us.

Of course.

I asked because even buying a car people read consumer reports. There are common themes to what people end up choosing. That pattern helps us decide what to focus on.

I made the mistake of buying a gun for my wife. Turns out that wasn't the greatest route.

Second time I took her shopping she picked the gen 4 glock 19.

She doesn't always carry. When she does its purse carry, I know I know evil off body carry, and she uses a aegis armory trigger guard sheathe that is paracorded to a loop inside her purse so when she yanks on it it's good to go.

Recently she has taken to liking my glock 43. So she is thinking of switching to one and retiring the 19 to a range gun.

She has shot and held revolvers. The gun I first bought her was a revolver.

My best advise is to let her pick.

Yes I'll admit I made the mistake ONCE of buying her a 1911-22. I don't think she ever shot it. I won't make the same mistake twice.

I think a steel S&W 640 is worth a look. It is heavier than the lite weights and the .38s, as it is a .357 magnum frame. One does not need to load magnums, or even +Ps. The extra weight with .38 Specials ought help a lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top