JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Let's talk small revolvers, specifically in .38 special only but in reality if it's small enough to fit the bill cost wise and hit a .357 for poppa bear to plink that's fine too! (I have a 3" GP100 that suits my needs out to 200 yards just fine):s0128:

Looking for DA/SA, small frame (say size of Pink Lady).:s0029:

I'm not concerned with color, I have a buddy who can "coate" firearms for me.:s0160:

My wife has small hands, she is a nurse, no callouses. :s0128:

With the recent custody stuff going on and dealing with a drug user :s0093: on the other end she has begun to question the security while she is up at night:s0154: (works nights:s0155:), to and from house or errands at night:s0142:. While there is nothing that has triggered this it's the pre-emptive thoughts that has her thinking:s0153:.... Maybe she needs protection, even if I'm home asleep.. as in in the computer desk, by the couch etc.:s0125:

So what do your wifes have or what do YOU have that fits this criteria? I really want to go DA/SA route but if that's not possible then I'll settle for DA only.

Brands/models help, in all seriousness please. I don't want to go to a store and stand there while looking for every model/brand like I have been then wonder if it's going to work:s0054:. I love first hand opinions!!!:s0033:

Ruger LCR(DAO) in 22mag or 38sp +p
or
LCRx (DAO/SA) in 38sp +p
2013-12-18.jpg
The DA trigger is excellent'

They're also available in 22lr, but the 22mag may be a better self-defense choice if she is going to be recoil sensitive.

Last Edited:
LCR. You don't shoot a DA revolver SA defensively anyway so it doesn't matter if it has a hammer.
Most or all practice should be done DA also.. even if the gun has a hammer.

My 81 yr old Mom bought a S&W model 360 PD Airlite 38/357 magnum that turned out to be too brutal for her arthritic hands, so I bought her a S&W Airlite 317 .22lr to replace it with.
She now has good control and comfort shooting the model 317, and the 9 shot cylinder gives her more rounds to miss with, as she's a lousy shot.
She gave me the 360 PD to keep for myself and if you haven't had a chance to feel what a large firecracker exploding in your hand feels like, try shooting one with hot magnum loads in it.
I had her try carrying my .38 Chief Special in her purse, but she complained about the extra weight.
The Airlites really are super light and a bobbed hammer would make it that much better.

Last Edited:
My wife's a nurse practitioner and worked those late shifts. Actually, she's still at work now even though she's in private practice. She carries an S&W 442 .38 Special +P that fits the bill in terms of concealment and her being able to handle it. Her 442 is one that doesn't have the stupid lock. They can be found if you look hard enough. I switched out the regular wood boot grip to an Altamont rubber boot grip and it made all the difference in the world in terms of recoil management and accuracy.

My wife doesn't carry but I got her a stainless, 3" S&W "J" frame! Hogue rubber round grips, adjustable sights, .38+p. It's a nice pistol and she shoots it pretty well. She likes the .22's better though!:)

BTW, definitely not an Air Weight!

Last Edited:
With respect to all regarding the LCR and S&W J-Frame...DON'T DO IT! Okay, at least until she tries one first. I'm not against these guns, own them both and have been carrying and shooting the J-Frame for just over 30 years now. It's one of my carry guns and it is shot frequently.

So my wife received her CHL. She has been a shooter off and on for years. She had a 4" 586 she loved but sold it years ago. We got her the LCR, nice gun, light weight, fair price. She hates it. It's so light that with even light 38's she doesn't find it fun to shoot. She didn't like my S&W M60 that much either. Too small and light (she is a small lady btw).

Guess what she ended up with? S&W 686 Plus 2.5" 7 shots. She loves it. We can go for long range sessions and she has fun. Recoil is very mild. Big? Well bigger than the LCR or a J-Frame but there are still ways to carry it.

I'm not trying to sell you on the 686 but my, make that our $.02 is shoot a full box through a friend's little gun before you buy. Shoot ammo you think you might carry not light loads (unless you plan on carrying these like I do in my M60). I've been around lots of people with small handguns over the years and many have serious problems with accuracy. I have watched numerous retired officers fail to qualify with their little retirement carry guns after shooting a full sized handgun monthly for 25+ years.

My girlfriend (also an RN) loves her SP101. .38 or .357, your choice. Carried it until she decided she wanted a Glock. Only down side is weight, but that can be an advantage with a timid shooter. As reliable as the sunrise and as accurate as anything you will ever carry. Available with a bobbed hammer if you decide to go that route.

My wife has two handguns. The one she bought for herself is a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips. It's an Airweight, but it doesn't kick too hard. The carry load she uses is a reduced recoil load designed for short barrels. It doesn't have an exposed hammer and all she has to do is point, pull trigger.

I would buy her a Smith 34 in a 2 inch to train her with a gun then a Smith j frame 38 to carry. The 22 tends to build up sludge as you shoot it and that helps in the training for her to learn how the gun works as she has to clean it often.

Once she is competent up it to 38 Special in any of the wonderful j frames and continue her training starting with light wad cutters then find a load she shoots straight.

Smith has a number of j frames from lightweight, no hammer, stainless and concealed hammer. I like the older guns.

My wife has two handguns. The one she bought for herself is a S&W 642 with Crimson Trace grips. It's an Airweight, but it doesn't kick too hard. The carry load she uses is a reduced recoil load designed for short barrels. It doesn't have an exposed hammer and all she has to do is point, pull trigger.

Heck, I'd like to have one of those! :)

yep it's a problem, if it's light enough to be really easy to carry, it's not much fun to shoot. recovering from recoil for a second shot is a bit harder. never cared for short small guns, my hands are too big. was always afraid I'd blow the end of a finger off or something.FOR ME the best concealment revolver was a S&W model 10 with a 1 7/8 barrel and a square butt. had it loaded with fully seated wadcutters with gas checks. +P ammo and high pressure loads don't do too well from short barrels, most of the powder is wasted, make a lot of noise and flash. Neither is of benefit.

Papa's revolver is manly, too manly for wife though.

GP100- in .300 Savage.
image.jpg

Whatever you buy, consider a set of Crimson Trace grips for it. They are a great training aid for someone who hasn't shot a lot. They can see how steady they are (or aren't) and there is no doubt about flinching when the red dot moves off the paper just as the shot is fired.

Assuming that she wants a small frame revolver over a med frame revolver for CCW. Well, a S&W J frame is money well spent. But, recoil can be stout, even when shooting only +P .38 Specials. So, choose wisely. And, a light weight J frame might seem ideal until she starts a long range session. So, don't automatically turn your back on a full steel one. Try both, if you can. And find some grips that'll work for her.

Then, price......OK, Ok, ok.....we love our GF, wife, etc.... BUT, a Charter Arms or a Rossi could be a cheaper alternative.

I once up graded my GF's SD weapon from a Raven .25 APC to a Charter Arms .38 Special. LOL....the GF is no longer with me. See how that works?

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads