JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so you removed the barrel cut the "DAMAGED" portion off
As the OP stated he never removed the barrel.

Quite frankly I commend him on the job he did by evaluating what happened due to a reloading mistake and coming up with a repair to make the gun usable again. You might want to look at his original thread about it.

Fortunately some of us have the skills and abilities to accomplish repairs or modifications such as this and don't need to utilize a gunsmith for every little issue. Heck I have done (and do) a lot of my own myself.

Last Edited:
Thats what I am working with.

20210601_114317.jpg 20210601_114156.jpg

Nice job cutting the barrel down, although I would not want a 2" 500 Magnum.

I take it that you don't want to spend a bunch on this, so I'm wondering if this would work...
I just miked a piece of 400 grit automotive-type sandpaper.
It's 5.5 - 6 thou
I wonder if you could cut a strip and work it down to get a parallel cylinder gap ?
Would require a lot of patience.

What's max cylinder gap ?
.008" ?
Might work

Nice job cutting the barrel down, although I would not want a 2" 500 Magnum.

I take it that you don't want to spend a bunch on this, so I'm wondering if this would work...
I just miked a piece of 400 grit automotive-type sandpaper.
It's 5.5 - 6 thou
I wonder if you could cut a strip and work it down to get a parallel cylinder gap ?
Would require a lot of patience.

What's max cylinder gap ?
.008" ?
Might work
Thats a good Idea, I will try that method with the sandpaper. Believe me, I didnt want a 2" 500 magnum either lol. I dont shoot full house loads through it, I load them on the low end and they already kick like crazy!!!!

DirectDrive, you are the winner! I just worked on it a little bit... I don't think I'm getting it 100% squared without having a relatively big gap, but I got it *almost* square and in dryfire and pushing the cylinder forward it is not rubbing anymore. It works actually relatively quick!

DirectDrive, you are the winner! I just worked on it a little bit... I don't think I'm getting it 100% squared without having a relatively big gap, but I got it *almost* square and in dryfire and pushing the cylinder forward it is not rubbing anymore. It works actually relatively quick!
OK, so what do I win ?

:p

*facepalm* yeah, nothing *blew up*. Except the compensator...which unfortunately was part of the barrel.
I'd love to hear those details? Like WTF actually happened? Ported barrels aren't new, so what happened for one to "not kaboom"?

What happened was, in my naiv attempt I used a soft lead 50cal muzzelloader projectile with a hot and fast powder. That turned into a gummybear and gooped up the compensator. I didnt notice after the first shot and the second shot then cracked it.

What happened was, in my naiv attempt I used a soft lead 50cal muzzelloader projectile with a hot and fast powder. That turned into a gummybear and gooped up the compensator. I didnt notice after the first shot and the second shot then cracked it.
So you plugged the ports or worse obstructed the barrel, then the second shot cause the barrel to crack at the ports? That's a kaboom. I'm surprised you actually still shoot it! That kaboom likely compromised more than just the ports in the barrel. By the picture of the forcing cone being angled, I bet more damage occurred.

Be safe shooting that thing! 500sw isn't exactly a light caliber to be shooting through a possibly compromised gun!

Actually the forcing cone was like that when I bought it. Figured it was shoddy taurus work. The gun is fine otherwise. Those loads where nowhere near anything powerful enough to do more damage. I'd guess there was no more than 25k psi involved but the powder was too hot for the lead. I'm not talking hard cast here, im talking lead you can imprint with your fingernail.

The front of the muzzle cracked between the ports and right by the muzzle where there was a very....very minimal amount of material. Its hard to tell but I'd almost say it was a material defect too. The best guess was, that the skirt of the soft projectile blew off in the severly underdimensioned compensator and that then tore at the very minimalistic designed stresspoints.

There was no "kaboom" it was more like a thump with a leadcloud. I have a video somwhere and there was nothing obstructing the muzzle when I shot it. I was using different powders, shot some with trailboss and those shot fine. Longshot was okay too. Then the w296 did the damage. Lesson learned. I have put few hundered round through it since with no real issue other than the binding cylinder.

The cloud is the Projectile disintegrating.
IMG_20200812_182223~2.jpg VID_20200805_170910_exported_267466~4.jpg

Also I stand corrected. I loaded one with longshot, it was fine. After that one with w296, that resulted in the crack and the cloud.

Last Edited:
Good job on your fix. Kind of a custom ground endmill to fix that. I would pull the bbl and just set it back one rev.
sometimes I know better to take a job in. Easy to get into something like this and go way over the value of the firearm. And you can't get any parts
For these.,

Good job on your fix. Kind of a custom ground endmill to fix that. I would pull the bbl and just set it back one rev.
sometimes I know better to take a job in. Easy to get into something like this and go way over the value of the firearm. And you can't get any parts
For these.,
Well... i think if you dont "want to take a job because its more expensive than the gun" you should at least consider a reply to the person asking. A simple "to fix this would cost way more than the gun because of lack of parts" or something like that would suffice. Idk but given my lack of machinery and how long it took me to cut and face that barrel and attach the sightbase with some handtools, I cant imagine it would have been more than two hours of work, had I had a mill it would have been a 30min job for me. Also, you never know if maybe someone just wants to have it done or customized or whatever and does not mind spending a grand on a $650 firearm.

"All" I was gonna ask was to come up with a way to attach a new compensator on the shorter barrel. I would have gladly paid for it. Anyway, not giving a reply at all to multiple inquirys leaves a bad taste for a potential or returning customers.

Well... i think if you dont "want to take a job because its more expensive than the gun" you should at least consider a reply to the person asking. A simple "to fix this would cost way more than the gun because of lack of parts" or something like that would suffice. Idk but given my lack of machinery and how long it took me to cut and face that barrel and attach the sightbase with some handtools, I cant imagine it would have been more than two hours of work, had I had a mill it would have been a 30min job for me. Also, you never know if maybe someone just wants to have it done or customized or whatever and does not mind spending a grand on a $650 firearm.

"All" I was gonna ask was to come up with a way to attach a new compensator on the shorter barrel. I would have gladly paid for it. Anyway, not giving a reply at all to multiple inquirys leaves a bad taste for a potential or returning customers.
It's easy to miss a message or two when you have hundreds of jobs in the shop. Emails, phone calls, text messages etc.

Seems you should go into the speedy gun repair business if that's a half hour job 😆

It's easy to miss a message or two when you have hundreds of jobs in the shop. Emails, phone calls, text messages etc.

Seems you should go into the speedy gun repair business if that's a half hour job 😆
Hey, its nothing personal and I understand that sometimes messages get lost. I understand where you are coming from. I do have some machining and metalwork background too, grew up around a family of machinists and studied mechanical engineering, but im being serious:

It takes you more that 30min to to cut off a barrel on lets say a bandsaw or a mill and face it with a 90* cutter? Okay...maybe 1h if you need to tap a hole or two for the new sight base and give the barrel a crown. I had to do it all by hand with a file and oh boy it took forever okay.

I'm not trying to insult you or your work and I am sure you do an outstanding job on what you are doing, that why I was gonna let you handle this. Considering paying 100$ for "shop hours and machine hours" id be questioning it if you'd charge me 5 or 8h of work for something like that...

Anyways, I really am not mad, just a little salty when everybody recommends you and I try to get in touch with no replies. That struck me as odd. I'd figured it would have cost me at least close to a grand to have a new barrel made all thogether but I was willing to spend it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top