JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I happened upon a revolver up for auction that hits a number of points that suit my fancy, including it being nickeled. As it is an older arm, there is some minor flaking on said.

Can anyone recommend a company / gunsmith that could re-plate such? How much difficulty would it involve? I'm factoring in time / monetary investment before mashing the bid button. Thanks!

I am not sure there is a good way to touch up nickle plating. I could be wrong, but the only way I know to get a proper finish is to strip and replate the whole part that has the problem. Chemically speaking I can see a few ways to "touch up" a spot or two, but my reservations would be how difficult it would be to match the rest of the part. Maybe it is easier than I think, but I would be prepared to fork over for the whole redo if you really want it done.

It's best to do the whole thing. Even if you did just one part, say the barrel or cylinder, it's never going to match the rest of the gun.

My former employer used a place in Tempe called Arizona Plating when we had to get stuff nickel plated. Not sure if they do individual items though.

Poor prep caused most flaking / peeling Nickel issues. Water under that bridge. My opine stemming from manufacturing experience with nickel, chrome, tin and silver on non firearm items, is complete removal is the only answer for nickel.
Stripping Nickle is aggressive and unlike bumpers and candle sticks can be detrimental to precision mechanical things both in fit and strength, depending on what and where.
I'd find a quality plater experienced in firearms and listen closely, not just on price but to their advice regarding pros and cons for your particular issue, then bid on your prize accordingly.
I have seen only one "spot re-plate", wasn't impressed, though I'm not privy as to the professionalism of the repair, still doubtful as a viable option.
Sometimes it's best to just love the toys and except their flaws albeit peeled nickel sure can slice fingers.

That's what I poorly explained. A 'touch up' would consist of plating an entire component, ie; the whole cylinder, rather than just a bit flaking off the edge of the cylinder.

It's a wet bath solution, so the item has to be dipped to take the plating. That's why it's all or nothing.
You can definitely plate with a wet solution on a sponge, that is how I am e played with the process in the past. Not firearms mind you, but artsy stuff. I was not sure if there were possible for someone to do with some skill, but my guess would be "no."

Nickel plating isn't especially environmentally friendly so local might not be an option. Also a quick look around the web shows prices in the $400 to $600 range depending on the firearms condition.

You do you and all that, but for me I would pass if I felt the need to refresh the nickel.

Last Edited:
You can definitely plate with a wet solution on a sponge, that is how I am e played with the process in the past. Not firearms mind you, but artsy stuff. I was not sure if there were possible for someone to do with some skill, but my guess would be "no."
I have my own NP setup, did a bunch of Sig mags amongst other small parts. It's easy, but takes practice. I wouldn't do a whole gun that I cared about.

Nickel was originally, (1800s,) seen as a way to help prevent rust/corrosion on the black powder firearms of the period.
Then it became a choice for presentation guns that were never really intended to be fired.
In the old days a Nickel-plated gun was seen by many as a "pimps gun", or something a gambler might carry.
Hoppes is BAD for Nickel.
Having it stripped/re-plated will not increase the value of any collectable firearm, most often it decreases the value.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews