JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I got this taurus 500 magnum revolver that I had to cut the barrel down. It shoots pretty good for a just over 2" barrel, at 20 yards I can do a handheld 5" group haha BUT...

sometimes you can barrly rotate the cylinder after firing a round, when you cock the hammer or in DA you have to assis the cylinder with your hand a bit. I see that it rubs on the top part on the barrel/forcing cone and I believe thats where it creates friction and wont turn smooth. I cant find any pilots or cutters for the 50cal and wonder if anyone has an idea how to get that straight!?

The cylinder gap is also a tad tighter towards the top strap.

My first thought is a poor crimp on the bullets, and they dislodge with recoil. I'm sure it kicks like a mule.
Does this phenomena occur with a loaded cylinder without firing a round?

You mean the projectiles would jump forward and rub? I can defiantely rule this out because they would come out if the case completely.

You can see where it rubs toward the outside. It does not hang up on an empty cylinder. Just AFTER you fire the first shot...

20210531_142242.jpg

This is typical of a Taurus revolver due to poor quality control.

Clean the gun, especially the front cylinder face and the rear of the barrel. Then use feeler gauges to measure the gap between the the cylinder face and the barrel. If it is less than about 0.004" then you have a problem. I had a Taurus that had a cylinder gap of less than 0.001" and would lock up after firing about 30-50 rounds. After cleaning it would be fine until it got dirty again.

Small amounts of carbon and lead build up on the front face of the cylinder, after a while without cleaning, any revolver will need assistance to rotate its cylinder. Key is cylinder gap, there is a equilibrium between too little and too much gap.

I defiantely have more than 0.004". Like i said...one shot and i need to assist it in revolving.

I actually found something else that could contribute, however, one "issue" at a time...

Okay, here is something else... what do you see :D so cycling it with the fired cartridges, I see the firing pin gets stuck and does not retract. Thats probably the hangup.

20210531_150025.jpg 20210531_145843.jpg 20210531_145830.jpg

Last Edited:
Squirt some gun cleaning fluid in there and flush it out.

I got a new .22 bolt action once that had a light firing pin hit. I flushed the bolt out with Hoppes and alcohol and it was fine. It had a lot of grease in the bolt from the factory.

Taurus like Rossi are made of soft steel. Not like the Rockwell hardness of steel in this country. It sounds as though your crane may be bent a little, causing the cylinder to not rotate equally all the way around. This happens usually when the cylinder is swung shut instead of pushed into the revolver. (not saying this happened) But since you have a gun made from steel from Brazil, it may just be soft steel. Send it back to Taurus for their lifetime warranty repair. Good luck.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top