JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay Waiiiit a minute here.

First, the thing isnt made anymore. There are no parts available, otherwise it would have gone back to get the 4" barrel REPLACED that I blew the ports out of because of a reloading mistake. This was not just some random custom thing but neccessary to keep the gun running. It isnt going back to Taurus. PERIOD.

Second, I shortened the Barrel myself, well technically I only cut off the broken interated comp and faced and crowned the barrel and machined a new frontsight base and so on because I have never heared back from some highly praised gunsmiths recommended here after multiple attempts. So DIY is whats happening, I am not completely stupid.

Third, i wasn't asking where to send it to get it fixed, I was asking how would someone straighten that back of the barrel/forcing cone when you can't find a cutter and pilots for 500 magnum?

"Send it back for warranty" is a comment that really has no place int the gunsmithing section. Thank you.

EDIT: The crane was indeed a little bend upwards and that has been taken care of some time ago. Its not a bad shooter but rather just needs some finetuning to be reliable enough.

Okay Waiiiit a minute here.

First, the thing isnt made anymore. There are no parts available, otherwise it would have gone back to get the 4" barrel REPLACED that I blew the ports out of because of a reloading mistake. This was not just some random custom thing but neccessary to keep the gun running. It isnt going back to Taurus. PERIOD.

Second, I shortened the Barrel myself, well technically I only cut off the broken interated comp and faced and crowned the barrel and machined a new frontsight base and so on because I have never heared back from some highly praised gunsmiths recommended here after multiple attempts. So DIY is whats happening, I am not completely stupid.

Third, i wasn't asking where to send it to get it fixed, I was asking how would someone straighten that back of the barrel/forcing cone when you can't find a cutter and pilots for 500 magnum?

"Send it back for warranty" is a comment that really has no place int the gunsmithing section. Thank you.

EDIT: The crane was indeed a little bend upwards and that has been taken care of some time ago. Its not a bad shooter but rather just needs some finetuning to be reliable enough.
There is a lot of information in this post that was not included in the first post.

Im thinking the gun was damaged after reading this and the OP. Even one of the pictures of the gap looks as if the forcing cone is angled.

500sw isn't something I'd want to be shooting through in a gun that has already gone kaboom.

Best of lucking fixing it further.

The only Taurus I ever owned was a new model 85 stainless. On the third shot the cylinder bound up... cracked forcing cone.
Yad Vashem... Never Again.
I've owned two. The M44 was nice, accurate and had the best stock trigger of a revolver I have ever shot - comparable with a Performance Center S&W. The Taurus Total Titanium Tracker in .357 mag was a pleasure to shoot, but had a mediocre trigger and locked up after 50 rounds due to the too tight cylinder gap.

My conclusion due to that and online complaints is that the chance of getting a good Taurus revolver is 50/50. Then there is their customer service - taking months to handle issues, sometimes never getting it right.

I had to cut the barrel down. It shoots pretty good for a just over 2" barrel,
so you took it to a gun smith who removed the barrel and cut the threaded part off to shorten the barrel?
said smith then rethreaded the barrel and screwed it back in?
in your picture it is plain to see the cut was and is not square leading to some of your issue,

so you took it to a gun smith who removed the barrel and cut the threaded part off to shorten the barrel?
said smith then rethreaded the barrel and screwed it back in?
in your picture it is plain to see the cut was and is not square leading to some of your issue,
No.

regardless, ( as you don't see the need to clarify anything) in your picture it is plain to see the barrel is not square to the cylinder leading to some of your issue, few thousandths difference from top to bottom, but then you might have it turned wrong etc

20210531_150025.jpg

Last Edited:
regardless, ( as you don't see the need to clarify anything) in your picture it is plain to see the barrel is not square to the cylinder leading to some of your issue, few thousandths difference from top to bottom, but then you might have it turned wrong etc

View attachment 896256
And this circles back to my original question. How do I cut this straight when I cant find a 50cal pilot and cutter?

Hey man, I clarified in an earlier post.
apologize, now that i see that...
barrel REPLACED that I blew the ports out of because of a reloading mistake.
ergo what else did you blow out of spec?
I shortened the Barrel myself, well technically I only cut off the broken interated comp and faced and crowned the barrel and machined a new frontsight base and so on
so you removed the barrel cut the "DAMAGED" portion off and machined a new sight base and then threaded the barrel back in an "lined the site" you recut and did you mark the barrel for proper timing and fit before you did all that? or is it now "off" because it is now not timed or torqued right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top