JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

Thank you for reading my post and for any feedback. I'm fixing up an old .22 mag revolver. It has what looks like surface rust in the crevice between the barrel and ejector. Does anyone have a recommendation for removing the rust with minimal damage to the bluing? Should I remove the barrel for this work? Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

20231008_081827.jpg

A few drops of Kroil left to soak overnight should work. Then you can spray WD-40 into the crevices to displace any remaining moisture.

If you want to conserve the whole pistol, you will need some distilled water, a stainless steel boiling pot and a carding wheel from Brownell's.

Bronze wool works well with oil to remove rust....without damaging a blued finish.
Andy
Agreed.
You can buy true copper wool and bronze wool on Amazon.
PCH cables in Hillsboro sold (may still) super high quality copper wool that did not shed particles like the stuff from Amazon. You had to ask Pat for it, and to keep it available, he'd only sell one pack per customer.

A few drops of Kroil left to soak overnight should work. Then you can spray WD-40 into the crevices to displace any remaining moisture.

If you want to conserve the whole pistol, you will need some distilled water, a stainless steel boiling pot and a carding wheel from Brownell's.

Thank you for the advice! Got Kroil and fine bronze wool on it's way!

I've used a soldering gun to heat up small pistol screws that were rusted stuck and when sufficiently hot, I would drop some Kroil onto the screw head and let it soak overnight.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top