JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good point and I wonder why this is. Maybe because of the availability of lever guns ?(especially Winchesters) Maybe because they are light, relatively simple and easy to modify?

Regardless if a lever action mfg. wants to make specific 'tactical' type rifles with all the 'modern' accoutrements then I am all for it - but if they are also making modern versions of traditional or historically accurate originals then they need to keep them as close to the originals as possible for those that want those styles.
oh I agree with this. Not everyone wants to be tacticool. I dont see their tactical lines outselling their traditional lines though. I think the debate with the threaded barrel is Im reading slightly more hunters taking interest in silencers and so threaded barrels on hunting guns is becoming more popular. I can see why manufacturers want to add the feature.

One idea behind the tactical lever gun is if/when AR type semis get banned. The lever gun will fill that role.

The Henry and Spencer rifles were quite the rapid-fire, high capacity assault rifles of the day.

Everyone has their own preferences. They say there's no accounting for taste- to each their own and all that. Some people like a new take on an old design, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just because it's not my cup of tea, doesn't mean I have any issue with someone else liking it.

Every time I see a particular ugly style of car on the road (there have been some particularly bad one over the years) I remind myself that someone driving that car loves their car. It's the same way with guns. The tactical Mossberg lever action with the collapsible stock? Someone out there loves it, and more power to them! (Even if it offends my eyes…)

Some of us traditionalist might just be a bit sensitive because of the high speed, low drag, tactical all the time way that gun culture seemed to be headed for a while, and the way some of the tactical crowd viewed us as "Fudds". It seems that we're moving past that a bit now, especially on this forum, since we have such a mix here.

Every time I see a particular ugly style of car on the road (there have been some particularly bad one over the years)
Or in the junkyard? Like this one?

IMG_2694[1].JPG

Well, this is unfortunate. I'm going to have to let my 336 Dark know that because of how he looks, he's just not good enough to defend us, the goats or the chickens from invading coyotes anymore. I'll have to somehow find those 5 or 6 dogs it's taken out and apologize for shooting them with such an unsightly, horrendous contraption.

336Dark.jpg

Perhaps he'll relinquish those duties to the more "classic" 336 without much fuss.

I think stainless with reddish toned wood furniture along the lines of these grips would look sweet.

View attachment 1092950
I like the shade and would think it would look great on stainless, especially a blasted finish. It would also shine on polished blue, like old Winchesters or @Ura-Ki 's gorgeous Marlin.
Thats an interesting scope selection for a 45-70, I would not guess a CDS dial would be needed for that caliber...

View attachment 1093219
If ya wanna shoot a 45-70 over a couple of hundred yards, the CDS would indeed be handy. I like 400 grain bullets out of a 45-70 and they have a tendency to be rocks at a distance. :D
I am a fan of traditional lever guns. I understand very well other folks interests don't always match mine, nor do they have to.

I do not want a threaded barrel on a lever gun, or really, most guns. If I had a choice, I would buy non-threaded. But if I don't have a choice, I can live with a threaded barrel if I can use an unobtrusive thread protector. Problem is, even the most simple thread protector is too often obtrusive on an otherwise beautiful gun.
I'm usually NOT a fan of a threaded barrel because it often looks like a wart on the nose. I do not like the way the thread cap is usually larger than the barrel itself. The threaded version on this Marlin is very clean. Wouldn't bother me a bit.
Or in the junkyard? Like this one?

View attachment 1094009
I'm working on a very nice '58 Edsel Retractable right now. Unique cars to be sure.

I like the shade and would think it would look great on stainless, especially a blasted finish. It would also shine on polished blue, like old Winchesters or @Ura-Ki 's gorgeous Marlin.

If ya wanna shoot a 45-70 over a couple of hundred yards, the CDS would indeed be handy. I like 400 grain bullets out of a 45-70 and they have a tendency to be rocks at a distance. :D

I'm usually NOT a fan of a threaded barrel because it often looks like a wart on the nose. I do not like the way the thread cap is usually larger than the barrel itself. The threaded version on this Marlin is very clean. Wouldn't bother me a bit.

I'm working on a very nice '58 Edsel Retractable right now. Unique cars to be sure.
I find them to be pretty well built cars, build quality better then the average Ford. I work on a 60 T-Bird convertible once in a while, that thing is junk compared to the Edsels I have seen! I wish the owner of this bird took better care of it, but it will soon be going to his son who appreciates such a car for what it is, and what it can be, so there is hope!

If ya wanna shoot a 45-70 over a couple of hundred yards, the CDS would indeed be handy. I like 400 grain bullets out of a 45-70 and they have a tendency to be rocks at a distance.
Im not familiar with the 45-70 ballistics but my guess has always been that lever guns are not long range shooters. Not that any bullet cant reach out but more the general design of attached tubular magazines to the barrel doesnt do well for accuracy grouping out past 200 yards. I know things can be done, but is it practical to shoot out to 300yds with a lever gun like this?

From the 45-70 Wikipedia page:

"After the Sandy Hook tests of 1879, a new variation of the .45-70 cartridge was produced: the .45-70-500, which fired a heavier, 500 grain, (32.5 g) bullet. The heavier bullet produced significantly superior ballistics, and could reach ranges of 3,350 yards (3,120 m), which were beyond the maximum range of the .45-70-405. While the effective range of the .45-70 on individual targets was limited to about 1,000 yards (915 m) with either load, the heavier bullet produced lethal injuries at 3,500 yards (3,200 m). At those ranges, the bullets struck point-first at a roughly 30 degree angle, penetrating three 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick oak boards, and then travelled to a depth of eight inches (20 cm) into the sand of the beach. It was hoped the longer range of the .45-70-500 would allow effective volley fire at ranges beyond those normally expected of infantry fire."

I remember reading about that a long time ago, and was impressed with what they could do with those old black powder, rainbow trajectory, single shot rifles.

Muzzle threading.
Something that I never considered was "swelling".
I had a gunsmith/machinist explain this phenomenon to me...
If a barrel without enough wall thickness is threaded, it can swell due to the threading operation.
Not a rumor or a guess, but something that can be measured before and after.

The last thing your bullet sees is the muzzle area of the barrel.
(understatement of the week)

Edit:
Another vote for the flush thread protectors.
Very classy.

Im not familiar with the 45-70 ballistics but my guess has always been that lever guns are not long range shooters. Not that any bullet cant reach out but more the general design of attached tubular magazines to the barrel doesnt do well for accuracy grouping out past 200 yards. I know things can be done, but is it practical to shoot out to 300yds with a lever gun like this?

Me? No way, not if you're talking about hunting. But very long range shots have been made by better shooters. If wanting to poke at targets at 200-300 yards away the CDS would be very helpful and the 45-70 capable. I love shooting, seeing the impact then hearing the thud of a 400 grain bullet's impact at 3-400 yards. It's kinda cool.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top