JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Frankly, I would LOVE to see a stainless 39A. I'd pull my wallet out so fast for one of those, I'd probably hurt myself. It might be tempting to try and get one of the new 1894s in 357 (if/when they come out), but how many 357 lever guns does one guy need? Who am I kidding? It's not about need at all.

Interesting article, my impression is that the author is not familiar with the recent (prior to Ruger's purchase) Remlins.
I have an 1894CSBL (2018 ish, Ilion New York marked) that matches the description he provides i.e. metal / metal wood fit, polish, checkering, etc..
remlin1.jpg

FWIW It is my understanding that it is expected Ruger will use up existing Remlin parts in their (Ruger's) early production.
If Ruger produces even the same quality as the late Remlin's I will have no problem adding them to my collection.

It would be nice if Ruger gets away from using the nickel plated parts and uses stainless parts throughout.

All this bias against stainless and laminate. Just happens to be about my favorite combo. Functional and oh so pretty. Good thing variety is the spice of life.

I'll also take this opportunity to unnecessarily post some pictures of my Marlin (Remlin) 1894CSBL in .357. I passed on a couple of the 45-70 versions for $900 pre-pandemic because I didn't really want to get into another caliber, but I keep being drawn to these. I think the $900 ship has sailed though.
View attachment 1093002

View attachment 1093003

For the traditionalists, I do have a JM 1894CS in .357 as well. I personally prefer the looks of the stainless and laminate though.
View attachment 1093024
Absolutely! Nice rifles! :)

Pretty cool. Glad to hear they seem to be going in the right direction. The inclusion of Wire EDM in particular is interesting as that can give an incredible degree of precision and consistency to things like FCG parts. Fluted bolt is a nice touch too for those who might actually be using this in places like Alaska.

Hopefully they keep the next models unthreaded.
Why?

If the next models are made in the 'traditional' sense - IE wood and blue, and follow the design of say the original mod 1894 then I believe a threaded barrel would hurt sales OF THOSE MODELS as buyers of them will most likely want them in original form.

Hey, Miroku (Winchester) ain't threading any barrels on their 'traditional' models - if any of them.

If the next models are made in the 'traditional' sense - IE wood and blue, and follow the design of say the original mod 1894 then I believe a threaded barrel would hurt sales OF THOSE MODELS as buyers of them will most likely want them in original form.
I doubt people would mind the inclusion of a feature that has become such an industry standard. If anything the opposite is usually true as people enjoy the extra capabilities it gives while having essentially no drawbacks (at least none known to me). A buyer who wants to suppress or brake their gun would be happy and enticed by knowing they wouldn't need to spend hundreds of dollars and potentially months of time to send it to a custom shop for threading and front-sight relocation.

Is the only reason you don't like it just because it's not traditional? I could imagine them doing what had started before by having the standard line and a separate "cowboy" line for traditionalists.

Interesting article, my impression is that the author is not familiar with the recent (prior to Ruger's purchase) Remlins.
I have an 1894CSBL (2018 ish, Ilion New York marked) that matches the description he provides i.e. metal / metal wood fit, polish, checkering, etc..
View attachment 1093090

FWIW It is my understanding that it is expected Ruger will use up existing Remlin parts in their (Ruger's) early production.
If Ruger produces even the same quality as the late Remlin's I will have no problem adding them to my collection.

It would be nice if Ruger gets away from using the nickel plated parts and uses stainless parts throughout.
I have one of the last 22" 45-70 Remlins.
Shoots better than you can hold it.
Looks better than any JM that I ever laid eyes on.

Hey, Miroku (Winchester) ain't threading any barrels on their 'traditional' models - if any of them.
I agree; personally I would prefer a traditional blue-and-walnut gun. That's just a personal preference on my part. I understand the practicality of stainless, synthetic, threaded, and all that, but as they say, there's no accounting for taste. :)

I'd like a nice .357 lever-action someday. I've had a Marlin .44 mag for decades, but a .38/.357 would be fun. Barrel threads wouldn't bug me that much, but I'd prefer unthreaded. Hopefully they will make some of each. I don't mean to irritate the suppressor folks here, but I've just never had any interest in them myself. Again, I understand the practicality, they're just not for me.

I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist; if we were meant to use silencers, one of the old-timers like John Browning or Hiram Maxim would have invented them for us 120 years ago! (Oh wait, uh...) :oops:

In my opinion a marlin is a built by marlin marlin. I'm sure ruger builds good guns, I have had a few but a marlin built by anyone but marlin is not a marlin.I have a 1977 marlin golden 39a,, 1976 marlin 336 30-30. My girlfriend bought me a new marlin 1895 45-70 built in 2019, it says marlin on it but the damn thing isn't a marlin. It's a nice gun and was happy to get it.when marlin started to make big loop, stainless bla bla I lost interest in them because they were not traditional marlins.like checkering on a Winchester 94, to me it just don't belong.

Last Edited:
Im excited to read a positive first review and to see the Marlin tradition staying alive. My bias is always for deep bluing and dark wood but those stainless laminates a beautiful rifles.

Here is another positive review...
"Our biggest thing was to meet or exceed [expectations] in catering to Marlin aficionados," said Ruger Public Relations Manager Paul Pluff. "We added better machines, rebuilt fixtures and created new ones."

gorgeous rifle.
marlin-1895-sbl_lead.jpg

I doubt people would mind the inclusion of a feature that has become such an industry standard.
Well, I think maybe this depends on the 'people' and where their 'heads are at' with regard to gun ownership.

I am an active member of a very popular lever action gun based forum and the number of people on that forum who would not buy a threaded lever or disagree with them being threaded at all dramatically exceeds those on this forum who agree or think it should be a 'standard feature'. This was also the general consensus of the members of another lever action based forum I am no longer a member of.

Maybe it's become an 'industry standard' for some guns IE 'black guns', modern designs, plastic fantastics but I wouldn't call a suppressor an 'industry standard' accessory - considering what it takes to own one. Also when I look at guns on the racks at LGSs I see far more unthreaded than are threaded.

Bottom line is suppressors are a 'niche' accessory and if one wants one, and is willing to jump through the 'hoops' to have one there are plenty of guns available, factory threaded to accept them but it's not something certain styles of guns need (such as levers) where the number of those who want them fitted with a suppressor will be considerably lower than other styles - and admit they would NOT even buy one if threaded.

Last Edited:
I am a fan of traditional lever guns. I understand very well other folks interests don't always match mine, nor do they have to.

I do not want a threaded barrel on a lever gun, or really, most guns. If I had a choice, I would buy non-threaded. But if I don't have a choice, I can live with a threaded barrel if I can use an unobtrusive thread protector. Problem is, even the most simple thread protector is too often obtrusive on an otherwise beautiful gun.

Last Edited:
"Glowing reports" came from the gunwriters when Remington began producing the Craplins.
"Glowing reports" came from the gunwriters when the horrendous Craplin quality control was supposedly "re-vamped"

And now another glowing report with the Marlin brand in Ruger's hands.

I'd have hoped for a nice clone of a blue/walnut 336 from 1948, or a 39A as Ruger's Drum Major for their effort. THIS would have won hearts and minds of the faithful.

This silvered action, cold striped stocked answer to a misguided focus group does nothing but raise suspicion.

I saw the "fit and finish" of a Remlin once in a gun shop.

Reminded myself......
NEVER buy a Remlin (or other suspect firearms w/o a track record) off of the internet.

Saving a couple of bucks?

Up to YOU.

Aloha, Mark

PS....and there was that Remlin that I was thinking of buying at a Pawn Shop in Longview. Glad that I PASSED on that too.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top