JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Before "boutique" loadings from companies like Buffalo Bore all of the 45-70 ammo matched the original 45-70-405 loads at 12-1300fps. Mortar shells. The 444 Marlin used readily available 44 Magnum bullets and was loaded to higher pressures since there weren't any old guns in that cartridge, like the Trapdoors in 45-70.
The 450 Marlin was a neat thing, but it was only for non handloaders, as the rest of us had no trouble besting the original 45-70 loads. These days there are several options for much hotter 45-70 ammo. There never was a time I'd take a 444 over a 45-70.

Layne Simpson just did a review of the new Ruger/Marlin in Shooting Times. He compared it to a couple of earlier guns and had some nice things to say. Being a lifelong Ruger fan I honestly had no doubt the quality would be good. I'm not in the market for one of these new 1895s, but am looking forward to having a chance to give one a personal inspection. Well, as long as Ruger doesn't make a blued Guide Gun with a ported barrel, anyway.
Same here, Life long Ruger fan, especially the higher end/ custom/one-off/limited production stuff! Cant wait to see where Ruger takes things with Marlin, hoping they carry through and do a run of really nice, limited, higher end levers in the traditional styles and calibers! I would be very much in the market for something like the old Marlin 100 year anniversary 1895's especially with high grade wood and blued steal, a half round/half octagonal barreled .45/70 that can take modern pressure hand loads with ease! Would also love to see a more focused hunting rifle that takes the full size Stainless XLR and really knocks it outta the park with really good iron sights, muzzle brake, flat no shine finish, and and a full length magazine tube!
And while were at it, offer up a limited run of Super Red Hawks in .454 Casull to match, Sign me up for all three!

I'll figure Ruger has their A-game goin' on this whole Marlin deal when they crank out one of these:

PA110044.JPG

I never got this cartridge, why a .444 Marlin when there is .45-70? Please fill me in.
No real reason, other than it's a cartridge I'd like to play with.
Ballistically they are about a push, with the Marlin having a bit better numbers.
IIRC, the Marlin can operate at higher pressures.
I prefer less rim.
While I have a 292 grain mold for 45/70, I haven't cast with it yet. I have three molds for 429, all of which would work, though the only one I really use is the EK 210gr.

Being a lifelong Ruger fan I honestly had no doubt the quality would be good. I'm not in the market for one of these new 1895s, but am looking forward to having a chance to give one a personal inspection. Well, as long as Ruger doesn't make a blued Guide Gun with a ported barrel, anyway.
Same here, Life long Ruger fan, especially the higher end/ custom/one-off/limited production stuff!
I love my Ruger All Weather 7/08, but damn, that action was *rough* when I first received it. @orygun , I think you bought an Alaskan that I was envious of, and I deeply wanted one of those special series guide guns in 6.5 Swede. That is, until I handled a used one at Cabelas. They wanted >$875 for it, and it felt like a rattle trap and seemed thrashed, though it looked good. Glad I never sprung for one.

I'll figure Ruger has their A-game goin' on this whole Marlin deal when they crank out one of these:

View attachment 1105035
That is a beautiful picture, @Spitpatch !

"Glowing reports" came from the gunwriters when Remington began producing the Craplins.
"Glowing reports" came from the gunwriters when the horrendous Craplin quality control was supposedly "re-vamped"

And now another glowing report with the Marlin brand in Ruger's hands.

I'd have hoped for a nice clone of a blue/walnut 336 from 1948, or a 39A as Ruger's Drum Major for their effort. THIS would have won hearts and minds of the faithful.

This silvered action, cold striped stocked answer to a misguided focus group does nothing but raise suspicion.
I had a bad Para about the time of Para's transition to Remington, Para's CS did me WRONG! once it became Remington I tried again and Reminton CS did me way RIGHT! I'll praise Remington.

Where DID they come from!!!!????
They're just Mossberg factory upgraded grips. You can get them new off eBay, but I got them for a few quid less at the (below) eBay vendor's website because they don't have to pay the eBay fees. The last set I just got were a tad bit oranger than the first ones I got (shown in the photo), but that's an easy fix.

www.wirthweinguns.com

Sure some models were ....
The Original Henry rifle....The Model '66 ( Musket )
The Winchester 1876. , some models of the 94 were issued , the model 95......
( Plus a few more unmentioned Winchester "Musket Models" in the '73 series for example )
The Spencer rifle and Carbine....
More than a few odd ball mid to late 1860 -1880 rifles and carbines could also be mentioned.

So what comes to mind....I don't mean that as a smartazz....I just mean as so what...?

A military rifle can be used for military , civilian or sporting use....
Just as at some times and places civilian firearms have been used for military purposes.

That however don't make it a military weapon.....
For instance....just 'cause the army issued Winchester 94 Carbines to some units in WWI , does not mean that every Winchester 94 carbine is a military weapon.
It does make those that were issued a military weapon....but the same carbine , made the same day or year...or after...but was not issued...then that one isn't a military weapon...
Andy
i believe that the savage model 99 was at one time submitted for military testing, but did not pass. the model 94 was issued to some home guard units in the US and Canada during WWII. some 94s were also sent to UK. for issue to home guard units.

Just got mine and so far I'm thrilled. Build quality is precise, the fiber optic front sight is bright. Top notch rifle and I'm impressed with improvements from the original Marlin. Only downside is now I need another can for the threaded barrel :D IMG_7818.jpg

Headed out tomorrow to the range, the wife says she wants to shoot it....LOL I don't think she understands what she's in for. Had to order in, it was out of stock within 30 seconds, I got lucky. Will get my first impressions from the range and report back here.

Headed out tomorrow to the range, the wife says she wants to shoot it....LOL I don't think she understands what she's in for. Had to order in, it was out of stock within 30 seconds, I got lucky. Will get my first impressions from the range and report back here.
You may already know, but there are two basic "grades" of 45-70 ammo.
Standard grade for modern rifles and a low pressure grade for the 1873 Trapdoor.
Find some trapdoor ammo or Cowboy Action ammo for less punishing ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top