JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just imagine, 50 years from now someone on the internet will be arguing that its not a traditional lever gun unless it comes with an mlok forearm, picatinny rail and threaded barrell.

View attachment 1093780
I may be in the minority, but I actually think these look good! Though I prefer the traditional looks, there are numerous advantages to be had with the "tactical" models.

I may be in the minority, but I actually think these look good! Though I prefer the traditional looks, there are numerous advantages to be had with the "tactical" models.
Same here, I prefer wood stocks and deep bluing but at the same time I think that tactical model looks good and is very practical. In a moment of serendipity I just realized that in 3 days it will be 36 years ago I spied that long rectangular Christmas present under the tree to unwrap it and find my JM original 3030 I still hunt with today. I wonder how many of todays teens will get [a modern version of] a hunting rifle for Christmas (and in 50 years will argue on the internet "its not traditional unless..." )

Good times.

Would be super cool if Ruger brought out more of the "Specials" or anniversary rifles, My 100 year 1895 .45/70 Half Round/Half Octagonal Century Rifle is one of the sexiest looking and shooting levers Marlin ever made, and that's really saying something!

wm_1814140.jpg

I see from the review, CUT checkering. As lack of such was a weather-eye to overall poor quality, the presence of it may indicate a favorable improvement.
I laughed at Snow's criticism of the receiver polishing that "rounded" sharp edges. Mr. Snow, this is called finishing a gun. (The subject of his beef is actually another point on the board for Ruger.)

Someone mentioned practicality. Nothing practical about that high front sight, begging to be broken off, and sure to hang up coming out of a scabbard. What is the practicality of that mile-long Picatinny rail? Unless you are Chuck Connors, how is the large-loop lever "practical" on a hunt? (A winter-gloved oversized hand like mine fits fine inside a conventional 336 lever.)

Tactical is not Practical on a lever-action hunting rifle, despite current trends, and "best seller" status.

If forced to choose between these two, which might a better contender for "the best yet" out of Marlin?

912901-c8b5bcff79fb0e21e87de2a638974bff.jpg

20211205_SONY0234.00_05_45_18.Still033-1024x576.jpg

While the styling of the rifle is not my cup of tea...I am glad to see that Marlin is back in production.

I do hope that the rifles are better with overall fit , finish and build , than many of "Remlin" rifles that I have seen or shot.

In regards to a firearm for home defense...
Any firearm will work...
Of course some will work better than others depending on your situation and plan.

One just needs to have practice with that firearm in your home and plan accordingly...
I would not suggest that one curls up and waits to to die...
Because the only firearm one had on hand was a hunting gun...and not someone else's idea of a home defense / tactical firearm.

And while home defense guns may not look like more traditional hunting firearms...they can be used as such.
Granted a shorter barreled shotgun , may not be the best for pass shooting on waterfowl...I have gotten grouse with my home defense shotgun before...
Many AR15 type rifles have been used as hunting guns as well.

At the end of the day....if you want to stay in business , you gotta sell what folks want to buy..so some things need to be up to current trends.

Which explains why I don't care for many newer firearms....but other folks do.
Andy

technically the lever gun is a military weapon.
Sure some models were ....
The Original Henry rifle....The Model '66 ( Musket )
The Winchester 1876. , some models of the 94 were issued , the model 95......
( Plus a few more unmentioned Winchester "Musket Models" in the '73 series for example )
The Spencer rifle and Carbine....
More than a few odd ball mid to late 1860 -1880 rifles and carbines could also be mentioned.

So what comes to mind....I don't mean that as a smartazz....I just mean as so what...?

A military rifle can be used for military , civilian or sporting use....
Just as at some times and places civilian firearms have been used for military purposes.

That however don't make it a military weapon.....
For instance....just 'cause the army issued Winchester 94 Carbines to some units in WWI , does not mean that every Winchester 94 carbine is a military weapon.
It does make those that were issued a military weapon....but the same carbine , made the same day or year...or after...but was not issued...then that one isn't a military weapon...
Andy

Last Edited:
technically the lever gun is a military weapon.
Yup, and long before any gun rag/fish wrapper ever claimed something just had to be a certain way for "Home Defence" those old hunting rifles and shotguns did just fine in that roll, kept folks safe, protected, and well defended!
If trouble came knocking and all I had was my .45/70 Marlin, I wouldn't even hesitate to give um a taste of 69 grains of Holy Black behind a 250 grain soft point, whilst cycling that lever!

Years ago, one of those gun rags actually had a good idea in using "alternate" firearms for defence ( kinda like the P.I.G. shoots) that pointed out the advantages some of the older firearms have, with the lever actions being top of the list! Most of what was writ actually made sense, and could be used today with little issue!

Im not saying it matters much, just my understanding is that most all firearm actions were designed for military uses, then adapted later for other reasons like hunting or sport shooting. Adding a mlok forarm, picatinny rail for red dots, threads for silencers is literally no different than adding those to semi auto military rifles like the M16/AR. My understanding is generally civilian gun use follows military and police use... Back in its day the lever gun technology gave a serious firepower advantage for protecting homesteads, sure it would put food on the table but while technically hunters only need 1 or two shots it makes sense to use the same gun for everything. And so a hunting legend was born...

Im not saying it matters much, just my understanding is that most all firearm actions were designed for military uses, then adapted later for other reasons like hunting or sport shooting. Adding a mlok forarm, picatinny rail for red dots, threads for silencers is literally no different than adding those to semi auto military rifles like the M16/AR. My understanding is generally civilian gun use follows military and police use... Back in its day the lever gun technology gave a serious firepower advantage for protecting homesteads, sure it would put food on the table but while technically hunters only need 1 or two shots it makes sense to use the same gun for everything. And so a hunting legend was born...
Mounted Cav, yes, Boots on the ground, not so much! The biggest issues with levers is prone shooting ( though that didn't stop the Russians from buying up a train load of 95 Winchester's) most military actively avoided using levers, preferring the slower, but more accurate single shots and bolt actions that were coming on line! As Andy pointed out, yes, there were some units or even commands that did issue levers, but as a whole, the Army never adopted any lever action rifles whole scale, instead, opting for the robust, accurate, but slower Springfield Trapdoors!

Mounted Cav, yes, Boots on the ground, not so much! The biggest issues with levers is prone shooting ( though that didn't stop the Russians from buying up a train load of 95 Winchester's) most military actively avoided using levers, preferring the slower, but more accurate single shots and bolt actions that were coming on line! As Andy pointed out, yes, there were some units or even commands that did issue levers, but as a whole, the Army never adopted any lever action rifles whole scale, instead, opting for the robust, accurate, but slower Springfield Trapdoors!
it does make sense the military back then would be diversified in tactics and weaponry. That doesn't mean the lever gun wasn't a successful military weapon.
Anyways, more back to the point is the lever gun does make a good tactical defensive gun as much as its a good deer slayer its famous for.

As to the rest of Koda's post, remember, when the lever actions were new, not too many folks could afford such a weapon, most were using old(er) mil. surp, which were usually hand me downs or trades. It was usually the more well heeled who had lever actions, for the most part! Back in those days, a good new Winchester cost a whopping $12 dollars, where a used Colt Side Hammer could be had for $3 dollars, or a newer Spencer for $5 dollars, that was a big difference in those days!

While not a Marlin...My Winchester 94 in .30-30 , along with the Lyman 66 sight that it has...makes for a dandy light weight and short .30 caliber rifle.....it works well as a hunting or defensive firearm as is.
Just as a Marlin 36 or 336 ....
Andy

Adding a mlok forarm, picatinny rail for red dots, threads for silencers is literally no different than adding those to semi auto military rifles like the M16/AR.
This is assuming one's only thoughts are 'militarizing', tactical, defensive, et al.

There are many gun owners who do not think along these lines and have an interest and appreciation for history and certain aspects of it and that includes firearms - both original and modern designs of them.

Take a look at how many own Garand or .30 M1 Carbines, or any other specifically military firearms - ya don't see too many M-locks or suppressors on them. Probably because the owners have a interest in the historical 'identity' of these guns and wish to keep them in original condition - and that includes non-military guns with a historical background as well.

And I don't see to many 'modern' additions to any of Andy's muzzleloaders - and I am sure some of them were used militarily.

And with that here are two Mod 94's - 67 years apart and they are staying just like this! (however the one on the left isn't quite original but it's not necessarily 'vintage' either)

W1.jpg

This is assuming one's only thoughts are 'militarizing', tactical, defensive, et al.

There are many gun owners who do not think along these lines and have an interest and appreciation for history and certain aspects of it and that includes firearms - both original and modern designs of them.

Take a look at how many own Garand or .30 M1 Carbines, or any other specifically military firearms - ya don't see too many M-locks or suppressors on them. Probably because the owners have a interest in the historical 'identity' of these guns and wish to keep them in original condition - and that includes non-military guns with a historical background as well.

And I don't see to many 'modern' additions to any of Andy's muzzleloaders - and I am sure some of them were used militarily.
this is true. The lever gun is probably the only traditional/ol style rifle that people seem to have an interest in upgrading to modern tacticle technology (another is the railed 1911s...). For the most part people will stick with modern guns for modern solutions, but fewer classic designs are so good they stand the test of time.....

The lever gun is probably the only traditional/ol style rifle that people seem to have an interest in upgrading to modern tacticle technology
Good point and I wonder why this is. Maybe because of the availability of lever guns ?(especially Winchesters) Maybe because they are light, relatively simple and easy to modify?

Regardless if a lever action mfg. wants to make specific 'tactical' type rifles with all the 'modern' accoutrements then I am all for it - but if they are also making modern versions of traditional or historically accurate originals then they need to keep them as close to the originals as possible for those that want those styles.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top