JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I will withhold judgement until I see the actual results for myself. I own a couple Remlins, and in spite of the continual disdain I see on gun forums, mine never got the memo. My Remlins are quite perfect, and comparable to decades earlier Marlins. 🤩

I get being a traditionalist but dont get not supporting Rugers attempt at keeping the Marlin line both alive and modern. If Marlin never sold, they would have kept up with the times and technologies. I dont see an issue with a threaded and capped muzzle especially one thats blended so well.

The worst signal on the Remlins was the " "checkering" " (no, I did not double-strike the quotation marks: it was checkering in name only).

Not even the old "steam-pressed/rolled on" stampings of the 60's, the poor excuse on the Remlins was little better than a photograph of checkering that had been "decaled" onto the wood.

Actions gritty, triggers horrible, wood to metal fit that would make any of the Craftsmen fired at New Haven embarrassed.

Hope Ruger at least did machine-CUT checkering.

My Remlins are quite perfect, and comparable to decades earlier Marlins.
Actually the one and only Remlin I ever held and looked at closely was at Sportsmans Whorehouse in Bend a couple years ago and quite frankly it was quite nice.

It was a 'limited edition' model '94 and had some ersatz 'engraving' and some sort of 'gold' inlays on the receiver - nothing I was interested in but aside from that the fit and finish was quite nice and the action very smooth.

I probably got lucky with this one based on some of the horror stories I have heard!

Well, I think maybe this depends on the 'people' and where their 'heads are at' with regard to gun ownership.
I appreciate the colorful usage of quotation marks throughout your response but no need to be so defensive! Just asking questions to see what others think. :D

I still stand by my assertion that threaded is now a common, standard feature. The AR-15 being the best selling gun in the country year over year alone is statistical confirmation of that as a fact. Bolt manufacturers have been jumping on board with new offerings as well, and Marlin's choice to include it standard is just the continuation of the trend in my eyes.

Personally I'm a fan of anything that gives people more options. Even though I don't personally have any suppressors, I do hope for a day when they'll be considered to be just the hearing safety device that they are. Luckily their ownership continues to go up, up, up even in spite of their regulatory challenges so I look upon that with hope. I think suppressed lever actions in particular can be really cool since you can do things like subsonic .44s that hunters and plinkers alike could enjoy without any risk to their hearing whatsoever, but I know and respect that that's not something everyone is interested in.

Thank you for your insight!

What I heard about the Remlins is they did make some more expensive versions of the same model, the more expensive versions were harder to find but they had full solid wood stocks instead of laminate. I dunno if true or not but recall hearing that.

but no need to be so defensive!
No 'defensiveness' was intended - just relating info I read on a dedicated lever action forum from a larger cross section of owners.

since you can do things like subsonic .44s that hunters and plinkers alike could enjoy without any risk to their hearing whatsoever,
You can do subsonic in any caliber and simply wear hearing protection instead of having to rely on an expensive and bulbulos looking device screwed on the muzzle. I load subsonic routinely and in reality have shot outside (in the woods) and with a 26" barrel some of my .30-30 loads are about the report of a quality .22 LR.

But Hey, to each his own and I hope no one ever goes and threads the muzzle of any classic or vintage lever action - or any rifle for that matter!

Last Edited:
I would buy one tomorrow if it were reasonably priced. A cursory search on Gunbroker shows them in the $3000 range. :(
Those aren't even the new ones yet! Those are Remlins and maybe the rare JM. I haven't seen one of the Ruger made Marlin 1895 SBLs listed anywhere. Ruger/Marlin say to contact your local gun store.

I will withhold judgement until I see the actual results for myself. I own a couple Remlins, and in spite of the continual disdain I see on gun forums, mine never got the memo. My Remlins are quite perfect, and comparable to decades earlier Marlins. 🤩
This is correct ^^^
The blabber about Remlins being inferior is internet parroting about the first-run Remlins which reportedly had some issues.
I have a late model Remlin and it is as close to perfect as a rifle could be.
I would not trade it for a JM of the same model.

I appreciate the colorful usage of quotation marks throughout your response but no need to be so defensive! Just asking questions to see what others think. :D

I still stand by my assertion that threaded is now a common, standard feature. The AR-15 being the best selling gun in the country year over year alone is statistical confirmation of that as a fact. Bolt manufacturers have been jumping on board with new offerings as well, and Marlin's choice to include it standard is just the continuation of the trend in my eyes.

Personally I'm a fan of anything that gives people more options. Even though I don't personally have any suppressors, I do hope for a day when they'll be considered to be just the hearing safety device that they are. Luckily their ownership continues to go up, up, up even in spite of their regulatory challenges so I look upon that with hope. I think suppressed lever actions in particular can be really cool since you can do things like subsonic .44s that hunters and plinkers alike could enjoy without any risk to their hearing whatsoever, but I know and respect that that's not something everyone is interested in.

Thank you for your insight!
To one levergun aficionado it's a modernization of the tried and true levergun.
To another levergun aficionado it's a bastardization.
And there you have it.

Until I read another article I originally did not know the barrel was threaded - as this was 'conveniently' left out of the John Snow article - and no closeup pics of themuzzle.

I'll admit they did a good job of designing the thread protector to be the diameter of the barrel with subdued flats on the end to remove it but I am still on the fence with it.

Hopefully they keep the next models unthreaded.

View attachment 1093038
Hmmm, the threaded barrel and may just make me sell my 1895 GBL for this one.

I will withhold judgement until I see the actual results for myself. I own a couple Remlins, and in spite of the continual disdain I see on gun forums, mine never got the memo. My Remlins are quite perfect, and comparable to decades earlier Marlins.
Strange, the 2 Remlins (336 and 1895GBL) I have are both perfect as well.

Last Edited:
Strange, the 2 Remlins (336 and 1895GBL) I have are both perfect as well.
My 2019 1895 fit and finish is pretty nice, i haven't shot it yet but I did cycle ammo thru it with no problems

20200810_192942.jpg

Just imagine, 50 years from now someone on the internet will be arguing that its not a traditional lever gun unless it comes with an mlok forearm, picatinny rail and threaded barrell.

3c6f2ec65e18a1ee511c85eb4cb717fe.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads