JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Heyjoe I would reverse engineer that build ( put a retro CAR stock on it and some 6 hole CAR handguards ...:D
Might sbr this one some day but for now the brace stays and I'm a huge fan of the triangle handguard, personally. It suits me. Just need a sling.

I'm thinking it needs to roll around in the dirt some for character but I'm not the type to put undue stress on my possessions. Scars from honest use will give her the character she needs.
Anyone notice all the weapons in the illustration in the OP have A2 pistolgrips, and it dates the M16A2/M203 @1968 (unless that referenced the 203), and the M16A2 Commando has an A1 rear sight with shell deflector?
I saw that as well.

Shout out to @Velzey for assembling the upper. He did an amazing job!

Found a cool little add on I hadn't seen before!
608-5.jpg

Heyjoe I would reverse engineer that build ( put a retro CAR stock on it and some 6 hole CAR handguards ...:D
Gator, ironically those are almost the exact parts I'm looking for... unfortunately, right now the GF has me under a rule about "don't buy any parts toward her build that I can't quickly repurpose or sell off, just in case."

Parts I'm interested in (No Tic Selectors ) (A1 / XM16E1 / SP1/601/604 Lowers & Uppers ) (A1 Grips ) (No Trap Door Stocks and Aluminum Old School CAR stocks ) (Seat Belt M14 Slings) (Colt A2 Uppers ) ...

Last Edited:
This is a great thread. I just finished my A2 build recently. Sherwood Armory 325th Commemorative Edition (My old unit back in the day) with a White Oak Armament upper with a Windham Weaponry barrel.
upload_2018-8-29_8-18-14.png

Anyone notice all the weapons in the illustration in the OP have A2 pistolgrips, and it dates the M16A2/M203 @1968 (unless that referenced the 203), and the M16A2 Commando has an A1 rear sight with shell deflector?
That went from an "I didn't know that" to a "so that's what that is" moment...

Great ideas from the OP tho!
I hope to see more retro builds around.

I have a line on some rifle length Colt NOS triangle handguards, M16A1 grips, and other stuff for building these clone guns...way cheaper than Brownells etc. I'll give my contributing NWFA brothers first crack. I'm going to pick some up next couple of days.
I'll post up some pics then... I do have a couple Colt M16A1 grips here now.
Hit me up if your looking for anything like that.
:s0094:
0D8FD442-66BE-415A-B85F-20C10AAE9E37.jpeg A0819EE3-1E7D-4117-9898-600B96980B9E.jpeg 2740E3FF-A140-4AA1-BC18-F9CF6E19B86A.jpeg

My Commando.. not exactly retro, but I like it!
It's over 26" so I can use the forgrip, but still have to run a pistol tube and brace... would be way cooler with an old school CAR stock. I just added a few hundred dollars worth of unnecessary tacticool to it last night, now I gotta go pick up the ASR adapter for my Hybrid so I can run it suppressed
EC27075A-EC48-47E0-A65A-784DFED21807.jpeg BA6C9786-21E8-4F8F-BB04-BFFEFF82BCB1.jpeg ED5E4BC1-3D34-45D2-BEC4-B7F4B4A8E745.jpeg
Thinking about having an EPL engraved to clone the original colt commando lower markings as soon as Braceman starts accepting work again.

Last Edited:
I have a line on some rifle length Colt NOS triangle handguards, M16A1 grips, and other stuff for building these clone guns...way cheaper than Brownells etc. I'll give my contributing NWFA brothers first crack. I'm going to pick some up next couple of days.
I'll post up some pics then... I do have a couple Colt M16A1 grips here now.
Hit me up if your looking for anything like that.
:s0094:
View attachment 493780 View attachment 493781 View attachment 493782
As promised

WTS WA - A1 triangle handguards NOS 1985

Going fast... sold 5 sets in 3 hours of posting!
Edit:make that 6... 4 left as of 5:30 am

Last Edited:
Do clones include the correct twist rate or does it matter? Also did early M16 have a different finish than what they run today?

I see PSA has a complete upper an lower on sale this weekend for about $400.

My Commando.. not exactly retro, but I like it!
It's over 26" so I can use the forgrip, but still have to run a pistol tube and brace... would be way cooler with an old school CAR stock. I just added a few hundred dollars worth of unnecessary tacticool to it last night, now I gotta go pick up the ASR adapter for my Hybrid so I can run it suppressed
View attachment 493849 View attachment 493850View attachment 493852
Thinking about having an EPL engraved to clone the original colt commando lower markings as soon as Braceman starts accepting work again.
Overdue, but you might also check out Atomic Engraving. Their custom 80%'s are in around the $150 range typically.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews