JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes, these are exactly some scenarios where it wouldn't be good to let someone close to you know you have real guns. Now add some kids to the mix, especially if its that persons kids.
If that's truly the case... is it wise to introduce a replica that feels, looks and functions as close to the real thing as possible? "Fakes" can be... and ARE used for ill purposes. Simply break out or blacken the orange plug and it would work just fine to "show off" with, intimidate or use in the commission of a crime.

Many would be none the wiser that it wasn't actually real and flirting with the "line" might backfire.

Although, I guess there is the assurance and warm fuzzy's that it can't actually take a life. Themselves or others... but good enough for someone to shoot you over. My question would then be... given a high risk family situation... is the benefit of having it really worth the risk that it may represent? 🤔

If that's truly the case... is it wise to introduce a replica that feels, looks and functions as close to the real thing as possible? "Fakes" can be... and ARE used for ill purposes. Simply break out or blacken the orange plug and it would work just fine to "show off" with, intimidate or use in the commission of a crime.

Many would be none the wiser that it wasn't actually real and flirting with the "line" might backfire.

Although, I guess there is the assurance and warm fuzzy's that it can't actually take a life. Themselves or others... but good enough for someone to shoot you over. My question would then be... given a high risk family situation... is the benefit of having it really worth the risk that it may represent? 🤔
better than teaching with a real gun then.

And you didn't have a gun?
That's child abuse.

Lulz
I didn't say I didn't have a gun. I spent a LOT of time during my growing up years tramping through the woods with a machete and a pump-up BB gun (later a .22 rifle), or riding my motorcycle on the trails or cow pastures.

Milking cows and shoveling manure sucked, but it wasn't all bad.

From a related thread,

This is what worked flawlessly for my Dad:

"Touch a gun without asking and I'll break your arm."

As to guns, we were familiar, fearless and forbidden.

I can think of some very personal and private situations where one doesnt want to show other family members they have real guns around. I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and should have put more thought into my original question that started the discussion.
I'm fine with that, if that's the case. And in that situation, perhaps a better post would simply have been something like the following:

I would like to purchase an inert facsimile firearm (pistol, revolver, long gun?) that is fully functional in every way except the ability to fire, for the purposes of safety instruction only. Can anyone suggest an appropriate item such as this?

He needn't have included the personal details that elicited the advice he took exception to and that he did not wish to elaborate on. Problem solved.

I'm fine with that, if that's the case. And in that situation, perhaps a better post would simply have been something like the following:

I would like to purchase an inert facsimile firearm (pistol, revolver, long gun?) that is fully functional in every way except the ability to fire, for the purposes of safety instruction only. Can anyone suggest an appropriate item such as this?

He needn't have included the personal details that elicited the advice he took exception to and that he did not wish to elaborate on. Problem solved.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Some of my posts sit for a while because I just know I've missed something. Sometimes I'll completely rewrite a post before I send it (and yet some of them are still atrocious). Sometimes the post I submit is the 4th version of what I'm trying to say. Maybe OP was only on his third version. Or maybe he's just not as anal retentive as I. :D

Edit: Sometimes I'll go back and edit them after I've posted. :)

shell ejecting airsoft gun
Well look at that, I didn't know that such things existed. That might actually work perfectly. Thanks!

is it wise to introduce a replica that feels, looks and functions as close to the real thing as possible?
I should stress that looking exactly like the real thing isn't a requirement. General resemblance and the ability to load and cycle a "round" are the key elements. I just don't want to use something that looks and feels like a plastic toy, as that will tend to undercut the seriousness of the exercise.

So, you are a gun owner and a shooter who goes to the range, yet you don't want to teach your kids how to shoot, nor do you want to let them know you own firearms, and you don't want to tell us why. Yet you ask for advice, and when it's not to your liking, you call us condescending. Very strange.
I haven't posted anything to suggest that any of the advice offered pertaining to the question I asked is not to my liking. I appreciate all of those posts and I've thanked those who've offered advice that's been especially useful.

The condescension I was referring to is where a couple of people, rather than respond to the question asked, decided that this was the time to project their feelings about relationships and tell me to "be a man", "put your foot down", get new friends, etc. etc. In my experience, there's nothing positive to be gained from talking to people like that.

I haven't posted anything to suggest that any of the advice offered pertaining to the question I asked is not to my liking. I appreciate all of those posts and I've thanked those who've offered advice that's been especially useful.

The condescension I was referring to is where a couple of people, rather than respond to the question asked, decided that this was the time to project their feelings about relationships and tell me to "be a man", "put your foot down", get new friends, etc. etc. In my experience, there's nothing positive to be gained from talking to people like that.
People are weird like that.

My feelings on friends are thus: Friends are like trusted family, just not related.

Then there are acquaintances. Many folks think these people are friends (trusted or otherwise). They are not.

They are acquaintances. People you know & perhaps socialize with. They may become trusted friends (as in family), they may not.

Semantics? Yup, definitely. However sometimes such really does matter. As in topics of this serious nature.

So *I* read your OP as, you have a bunch of acquaintances which you would like to show firearms safety to. Which is kind of nice, *IF* they are receptive to such. I hope they are. If they are not, I hope you recognize such in your relationships with them.

Understanding firearms safety is pretty serious.

Your family is yours. How you interact with them is your business.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top