JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
airsoft and paintball projectiles are specifically not designed to penetrate.
Gotcha!! :s0155:

1693847956879.png
Painball:
1693848145479.png 1693848326041.png

Between the 3 (BB's/airsoft/painball)The worst injury I've ever had was from a paintball. Hit near the web of 2 fingers and ripped the skin right open. 2 stiches for that one.. once they flushed and scraped all the paint out of the wound.;)

The point being... in some forms and considered "non-lethal"... pointing a gun toward someone and pulling the trigger is somehow considered "acceptable" by many without a second thought.

I'm not condoning or encouraging BB gun wars, or saying that we were being all that smart.. back in the day... but it wasn't considered the same level of "taboo" as it is today. Of course... back then... wooden construction flag markers where "swords" to battle your friends with, riding in the back of open pickups was common and firecrackers were perfectly legal and good fun, too.:D

But airsoft and paintball are perfectly acceptable sport. Go figure!! šŸ¤£
No judgement intended, but I've never done airsoft or paintball either, just goes against my grain. It's something that was seriously taught and ingrained in me from a very young age.

I think I'm more ok with paintball than airsoft. The guns are very different and there's all the protective gear. That's just me though.

I didn't realize that "BB gun wars" were such a common thing until I was much older. I specifically remember being a bit horrified when my buddy told me about it. He lived on the edge of town and the neighborhood kids would go into the woods and shoot at each other all day. I lived on the farm, and my dad would have busted my gun into pieces if he even saw me pointing it at another person.

Funny story- my dad was so safety conscious when it came to firearms, but ironically didn't seem to worry much when I went down to the local sporting goods store and started buying cans of black powder to make my own "firecrackers".

My cousin and I made some "firecrackers" that were bigger than they should have been, and it's a wonder that we still have all of our eyes and fingers. I wouldn't let my kids play with stuff like that.

The point being... in some forms and considered "non-lethal"... pointing a gun toward someone and pulling the trigger is somehow considered "acceptable" by many without a second thought.
I have no doubt there have been injuries and broken skin with airsoft/paintball. Im just pointing out the design intent of those is not lethal. But I do know that airguns are designed to penetrate and people have been killed by them.

I didn't realize that "BB gun wars" were such a common thing until I was much older. I specifically remember being a bit horrified when my buddy told me about it. He lived on the edge of town and the neighborhood kids would go into the woods and shoot at each other all day. I lived on the farm, and my dad would have busted my gun into pieces if he even saw me pointing it at another person.
I like to think there was a bit more of an element of common sense involved back then than what might typically be expected in todays youth. There wasn't an "anything goes" mentality or anyone vindictive and out to do actual harm to anyone. There were "rules" about how close you could be and "surrender or die!" was commonly heard "on the battlefield" in close quarters.

Anyone violating those rules might likely find themselves in a bit of a "tussle" and/or find themselves ostracized from neighborhood play. Parents weren't teaching their kids, "you have to include everyone if you like it or not". More of, "play nice, play fair... or you won't have anyone to play with." ;)

... the added incentive there being... if you were found idly kicking around the house by yourself... your parents would find you something to do... and you weren't going to like it!! šŸ¤£

Last Edited:
Im just pointing out the design intent of those is not lethal. But I do know that airguns are designed to penetrate and people have been killed by them.
Neither were the BB rifles of the day used in "BB wars". ;)

High velocity airguns... especially the more modern designs... I agree. Back in the day... there were a few higher velocity "power mod" models, pump style or pellet guns that could put a serious hurt on someone, but those weren't allowed... for obvious reasons.

The type of BB rifles that were "allowed" for use in "BB wars"... we're talking lower velocity red rider type BB rifles. Permanent damage... like taking an eye out? Sure! Death? If it ever happened I would consider that closer to an act of God.šŸ¤£

As some may have stated (have not read through) some airsoft guns are cheaper than blank firing or deactivated or replicas..

The new airsoft guns (some) are shockingly well designed and provide for a ton of the same feel and action minus recoil and some subtle differences.

I like to think there was a bit more of an element of common sense involved back then than what might typically be expected in todays youth. There wasn't an "anything goes" mentality or anyone vindictive and out to do actual harm to anyone. There were "rules" about how close you could be and "surrender or die!" was commonly heard "on the battlefield" in close quarters.

Anyone violating those rules might likely find themselves in a bit of a "tussle" and/or find themselves ostracized from neighborhood play. Parents weren't teaching their kids, "you have to include everyone if you like it or not". More of, "play nice, play fair... or you won't have anyone to play with." ;)

... the added incentive there being... if you were found idly kicking around the house by yourself... your parents would find you something to do... and you weren't going to like it!! šŸ¤£
That's a world I never knew much about. I was a bit sheltered growing up out on the farm. There were no neighborhood kids to play with, and I was homeschooled for a few years too, so there's a whole neighborhood dynamic thing there that I apparently missed out on.

A bb gun is a real firearm and should be treated as such

I appreciate that mine is an unusual situation. My goal is specific, as described in my original post. I won't be training them in how to use guns per se, only showing them key, safety-related things to do/be aware of, so as to reduce their chances of becoming a statistic if someone around them is being irresponsible with a gun.

If you were fully aware of my family situation, you'd understand why I'm not going to go down the road of full training and why I'm keeping the knowledge that there are guns in the house from them. There are good reasons for both of those things, reasons that I'm not going to go into here. This is partly because they're not relevant to my original question and partly because there are a number of people here (not you) who seem to think it's their business to condescendingly tell me how I ought to behave toward my wife, my kids and my friends. I see no value in giving disrespectful people like that any of my time.
So, you are a gun owner and a shooter who goes to the range, yet you don't want to teach your kids how to shoot, nor do you want to let them know you own firearms, and you don't want to tell us why. Yet you ask for advice, and when it's not to your liking, you call us condescending. Very strange.

So, you are a gun owner and a shooter who goes to the range, yet you don't want to teach your kids how to shoot, nor do you want to let them know you own firearms, and you don't want to tell us why. Yet you ask for advice, and when it's not to your liking, you call us condescending. Very strange.
I can think of some very personal and private situations where one doesnt want to show other family members they have real guns around. I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and should have put more thought into my original question that started the discussion.

I can think of some very personal and private situations where one doesnt want to show other family members they have real guns around. I will give the OP the benefit of the doubt here and should have put more thought into my original question that started the discussion.
As I re-read post #1, perhaps the OP's question should have been, "I want my kids to know what to do if they go to a party and some A-hole pulls out a gun to impress the girls."

How about this: LEAVE.

As I re-read post #1, perhaps the OP's question should have been, "I want my kids to know what to do if they go to a party and some A-hole pulls out a gun to impress the girls."

How about this: LEAVE.
Sure, but thats just one scenario.
I know of a family situation where I dont want to blast on a public forum either, all it takes is a family member you dont trust with guns... Could be lots of reasons, so I can see how the OP is making his best choices while being vague with the reasons. I admit I was curious too so I asked, but I shoulda put more thought into that.
People train with blue guns, I don't see how replicas wouldn't also be useful. He asked a question about replicas so we gave some answers. The reasons and details are up to him to disclose and not the subject otherwise.

It's definitely a unique situation. My take-away is kind of... what is the best way to teach my children how to safely handle and operate a firearm while simultaneously denying them any access to... any ongoing education or practice of... and denying the existence of firearms(?)

Somewhat of a foreign concept and counter-intuitive I think for most folks that are frequenting a forum centered around firearm use, education and the preservation of 2A rights.

For me, I guess the other foreign concept is the idea of raising children by way of a committee.

To each their own but I can't relate to that in any way, shape or form... and evidently... offering any perspective that deviates from the OP's is "condescending". šŸ¤”

All I have to offer... if it were my child and my intention was to keep them sheltered from firearms... I wouldn't be sending them mixed signals and teaching them how to handle one. I would teach them strict and absolute avoidance and to remove themselves from any situation where a firearm was being mishandled. It is the most sure way to ensure their safety. They have absolutely no business touching one or attempting to manipulate/:safe" an unknown firearm with only the most basic understanding of how they operate.

That's just playing with fire, IMHO.

Kind of like.... I don't teach my children the basics of how to shoot up or smoke crack.:D

Now that I think of it, I can too. I worked with a guy who said he liked guns but wouldn't have one in the house at the time. His brother was staying with them until he got "life sorted out", and since his brother was a felon, he didn't want any firearms around, or anything that he'd be tempted to steal and misuse or sell for drugs. Bad situation. Another acquaintance had a family member who was bipolar, who they had to watch carefully all the time.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone would either not have a gun, or hide the fact that they do. Agree or not, I can respect that. I'm just glad to hear that said firearms are locked securely away.

Now that I think of it, I can too. I worked with a guy who said he liked guns but wouldn't have one in the house at the time. His brother was staying with them until he got "life sorted out", and since his brother was a felon, he didn't want any firearms around, or anything that he'd be tempted to steal and misuse or sell for drugs. Bad situation. Another acquaintance had a family member who was bipolar, who they had to watch carefully all the time.

I can think of a number of reasons why someone would either not have a gun, or hide the fact that they do. Agree or not, I can respect that. I'm just glad to hear that said firearms are locked securely away.
yes, these are exactly some scenarios where it wouldn't be good to let someone close to you know you have real guns. Now add some kids to the mix, especially if its that persons kids.

That's a world I never knew much about. I was a bit sheltered growing up out on the farm. There were no neighborhood kids to play with, and I was homeschooled for a few years too, so there's a whole neighborhood dynamic thing there that I apparently missed out on.
And you didn't have a gun?
That's child abuse.

Lulz

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR