JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi folks,

As the only one among my family and friends who has experience with firearms, I find myself in the position of being the one that others are looking to to provide some basic education about gun to our kids. As they get older, the time is rapidly approaching where the advice, "If you see a gun, don't touch it and go find an adult", isn't gonna cut it anymore. They're gonna be out and about, doing their thing. They're gonna go to parties. It's possible that some idiot will produce a weapon to be "cool" in front of the girls. And accidents happen negligence happens, sometimes the worst kind of accident negligence. So I'll be showing them how pistols work, the 4 fundamental rules, providing them with an understanding of how to recognize when a gun isn't safe, how to make it safe, etc.

With that in mind, do you have any make/model recommendations for a replica, semi-auto pistol? It would need to be fully-functional in every respect (other than being able to actually fire, of course), so that I can demonstrate things like the four fundamental rules, how to recognize when it's loaded/chambered, how to recognize when it's safe, how to make it safe, etc. etc.

If anyone's wondering why I don't simply do this with my own guns, there are two reasons: one is that my friends are not comfortable around guns and would be happier if it's not a real one, and the other is that my kids don't actually know that there are guns in our house and my wife and I prefer to keep it that way for as long as we can!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

[Edit: Added some more to the end of the first paragraph to elaborate on my goal. Also updated "accident" to "negligence" because @RVTECH has eagle eyes and I was complacent on that one!]

Last Edited:
There are a lot of .177 caliber, C02 operated BB guns (e.g., the standard steel BB) out there that are almost identical replicas of the real thing. The mags and other controls operate the same as a real pistol. You can get models where the slide actually reciprocates (cycles) when firing.

I've had several: Sig P365, Glock 19, HK VP9. They run between $50 and $100 on Amazon. Northwest Armory sometimes carries this type of BB gun.

Great training aid.

Each link below is to a different pistol model.

Question... why not use a real gun with snap caps? Obviously gotta make absolutely sure that there is no live ammo around when demonstrating, but seems like spending $10 on snap caps would make way more sense than $100 on a demo pistol.

There are a lot of .177 caliber, C02 operated BB guns (e.g., the standard steel BB) out there that are almost identical replicas of the real thing. The mags and other controls operate the same as a real pistol. You can get models where the slide actually reciprocates (cycles) when firing.

I've had several: Sig P365, Glock 19, HK VP9. They run between $50 and $100 on Amazon. Northwest Armory sometimes carries this type of BB gun.

Great training aid.

Each link below is to a different pistol model.

Good point. And the full auto reciprocating ones are quite fun!

Question... why not use a real gun with snap caps? Obviously gotta make absolutely sure that there is no live ammo around when demonstrating, but seems like spending $10 on snap caps would make way more sense than $100 on a demo pistol.
Read to the bottom of the post... :)

There are a lot of .177 caliber, C02 operated BB guns (e.g., the standard steel BB) out there that are almost identical replicas of the real thing.
I'm looking for something that will ideally load and cycle a snap cap, like the real thing. After doing a lot of searching today, this is surprisingly difficult to find!

The NRA has a course that doesn't have you shoot, called Home Firearm Safety. It teaches how to unload and make safe all of the common action types. You can check NRAInstructors.org for a course near you.

Movie prop guns. This one claims to have a working slide and working parts.

Heres another one thats a broken bb gun
Glock would be a good one to train with considering their popularity...

Im more curious of your story how you own guns, want to teach your kids about guns...
but have managed to hide your guns and still dont want your kids to know you have the guns, even though your teaching them how to use them...?

Im more curious of your story how you own guns, want to teach your kids about guns...
but have managed to hide your guns and still dont want your kids to know you have the guns, even though your teaching them how to use them...?
Yep something is rotten in Denmark and it's not just the cheese. So you want to teach your kids to handle fake guns and not tell them you have real guns in the house. That way when they are in your sock drawer looking for the 10 year old Penthouse you keep hidden there they will find your real gun that they don't know about and think it's a fake gun. Gosh what could go wrong with that?

If anyone's wondering why I don't simply do this with my own guns, there are two reasons: one is that my friends are not comfortable around guns and would be happier if it's not a real one,
Yep, this is the right way to go - utilize a fake gun to represent one that is REAL and does exist - but because your friends are not 'comfortable around guns' a fake one would make them more 'comfortable' and would more effectively allow them to learn about them?

Well, how about fake cars, fake knives, fake gasoline fake everything ?

Yea lets just 'fake' everything in life - a GREAT liberal position....

I CANNOT accept a 'fake' representation of anything - to do so is nothing more than a psychological 'side step', - a way to mentally offset the reality of something to make it more unrealistically 'acceptable' as though it may, or may not exist in the mind of someone who chooses to regard it as 'real'.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads